walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corbett and two Munros fom Bendronaig

Corbett and two Munros fom Bendronaig

Postby Yorjick » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich, Lurg Mhòr

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tharsuinn

Date walked: 20/10/2015

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1635m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I emailed Attadale Estates about my plans to which I received a very friendly reply which they signed off with "With best wishes for a successful trip". They had finished the stag stalking season three days prior to my walk over these remote hills and the culling of the hinds had not begun. I may have missed the best of the weather but my timing was going to cause the least disruption to the activities of the estate.

The estate kindly provides a small car part for walkers without having to pay the £6 entry to Attadale Gardens. My chain came off while still on tarmac - I think a full bike service is due. I keep it clean and well lubricated but I think it is time for some minor adjustments to be made. It took approximately two hours to cycle to the bothy (taking my time).

DSCF7677.jpg

Bendronaig is a fine bothy with a sink and a toilet which needs to be flushed with a bucket of water. During my visit, the cistern was not working but maybe with a bit more effort, I may have been able to fix it.

There was a basket of chopped wood as well as some large blocks in the "kitchen" area.

While I consider my general mountain and campcraft skills to be good, I am absolutely hopeless at cutting wood. If it is branches of dead wood, I prefer to use a big rock to smash it up as I lack the skills required to efficiently use an axe or saw.

The fact that the wood is usually fairly fresh without cracks or weaknesses and the axe is usually blunt with a loose head, which makes me a little nervous about the possibility of it flying off, adds to my difficulties. My sincerest apologies to the next user.

DSCF2593.jpg

I set off for the hills at 08:30 the next morning, perhaps 45 minutes later than I should have done but it is difficult to sort yourself out properly in the candle light and I wanted to leave the place tidy even though I was (expecting) to return in the evening.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSCF2597.jpg

​A short way up the track there is a ford and a footbridge with some missing planks. Wearing gaiters, I could have just splashed my way across the burn but I used the bridge. It could be a life saver when the burn is in spate though! On my return, I forded the burn.

There is a small difference between the two maps above. My route up Beinn Tharsuinn followed that shown on the Google map, taking a bit of a short cut up Coire Beithe and joining the ridge a few hundred metres north of the summit cairn. When I looked up the coire, the summit was clear but fresh cloud had arrived by the time I reached the summit. Dropping a few feet down to the east side of the mountain gave shelter from the wind and I stopped for elevenses. The cairn is very modest for such a fine mountain. I've decided that black is not a good colour to wear for summit photographs in mist.

DSCF2600.jpg

On leaving the summit there was an interesting flat rock that seemed to be pointing the way to the summit and as I looked round to see if it had been placed as a marker, I placed my right foot badly, turning my ankle and doing a very smooth somersault in the process. I could not do such a perfect somersault deliberately, especially with a rucksack on my back. The sprain was only slight and I gingerly continued.

On descending the west top of Beinn Tharsuinn, I tried to pick out a route up the crags of the north ridge of Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich. I thought that I could make out a faint path going up to the right of the crags but the purist in me wanted a more direct approach. I could see a possible weakness up the upper tier by way of a slanting grassy gully. I should have stopped to take a photograph but was too focused (excuse the pun) on picking out the route. On reaching the Bealach an Sgoltaidh, I could make out a slight path which I followed to a steep corner. This was followed with increasing ease to a broad grassy terrace. Apparently, there is a route straight ahead but I followed the cairns left to the base of the aforementioned grassy gully within which the path was clear with a series of foot sized steps that had been kicked into the vegetation.

Once above the second tier of crags, the ground became much easier and I could see the summits of both Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor with its eastern ridge continuing to Meall Mhor.

DSCF2636.jpg

The route passes a lochan before the last 120m climb to the summit, which again has a tiny cairn for a mountain of such stature. I have been on some lesser hills with huge cairns such as Beinn Mholach. The view below looks north to the Corbetts Beinn Tharsuinn and Sgurr na Feartaig beyond.

DSCF2647.jpg

My ankle was still a little bit sore but it was much easier continuing to Lurg Mhor. Thicker cloud moved in and the buffeting effect of the wind strengthened.

Lurg Mhor is a mountain that stands prominent in my memories of my round of the Munros. Along with Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich, it had been included in a ten day expedition starting at the Clunie Inn and zig-zagging along the ridges that generally run east to west to eventually reach the Strathcarron Hotel. This had been during April 1992 using bothies and some nights a single skin Goretex hooped bivvy. Lurg Mhor was included in the route on the penultimate day and last day on higher ground. Starting at Moal Bhuidhe bothy, I walked towards Pait Lodge before ascending the east ridge of Meall Mhor. I remember the connecting ridge to Lurg Mhor having a difficult step which was a bit of a struggle with a big pack in winter conditions. I wanted to take another look at it but in the opposite direction. This time, travelling in the opposite direction, this difficult step was not the hardest part! Climbing up in exposed situations is easier than climbing down and another part of the ridge which would have been quite easy going up looked unappealing in descent - it was just a step down to a small ledge but it was very wet underfoot and a bloody big drop if I slipped. Discretion is the better part of valour and I retraced my last few steps and dropped down the south side and went around the difficulties.

I considered descending a pleasant grassy minor ridge heading south from the summit of Meall Mhor but the weather was clearing and I decided to stick with Plan A and continue with the gentler but longer option of following the ridge towards Pait Lodge. Here the ridge is wider though still falling away steeply down to Loch Monar on its northern side. This was a very relaxed part of the day with the best photo opportunities:

DSCF2678.jpg
Looking south from left to right - Sgurr na Lapaich - An Riabhachan - An Socach - Aonach Buidhe. The lower hill is the Graham An Cruachan.

DSCF2683.jpg
Looking north from left to right - Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich - Beinn Tharsuinn - Sgurr Choinnich - Sgurr a' Chaorachain - Maoile Lunndaidh.

Dropping down to Loch an Tachdaidh, I kept to higher ground as it is easier to see a path from above. Contouring round in fading light, I eventually joined the start of the stony track that presumably marks the start of the Attadale Estate. It was pretty dark by the time I reached Loch Calavie. I had a Maglite torch in my pocket to follow the track but it must have a bad connection, as it occasionally went out and I had to hit it a few times to come back on. I also had a Petzl headtourch in my pack but I managed without it.

I eventually reached Bendronaig Lodge at around 20:00, tired but not too exhausted, considering I'd had an eleven and a half hour day on the hill. I cooked Chilli Con Carne with rice and made a small fire which continued to burnt slowly after I had gone to bed.
Last edited by Yorjick on Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Re: Corbett and two Munros fom Bendronaig

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:58 pm

Nice one, hope to do something similar next year, it look a nice bothy. :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland