walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Golden Autumn at Monadhliath...until boggy, foggy, boggy

Golden Autumn at Monadhliath...until boggy, foggy, boggy

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:54 pm

Route description: Monadh Liath Munros: Càrn Dearg, Càrn Sgulain & A' Chailleach

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Monadhliath), Càrn Dearg (Monadhliath), Càrn Sgulain

Date walked: 27/10/2015

Time taken: 6.36 hours

Distance: 26.24 km

Ascent: 1071m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

RK_gpx _2015-10-27_0701.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This Autumn looks much better than the unusually bad Summer by the weather and I was looking forward to go to the Mountains again as the forecast for my day off on tuesday was promising for some areas in Scotland. Very nice forecast with a sunshine for the North, but because of a week day my time was limited...no time enough to get far away. The area around Cairngorms looked good for a clear day without any rain so I decided to try the 3 Munros near Newtonmore. Decision made, prepared all my stuff I set alarm for 03:00 am as I wanted to use the advantage of one extra hour for earlier daylight as the clock was just turned back from the Summer Time :wink:

20151027_070044.jpg
Sunrise over Newtonmore...promising start of the day
8) :D
DSCF0512.JPG
I arrived just before 6:50 am and parked here at Glen Banchor, nobody else there in the early morning time. It's a smaller carpark ( 10-12 cars capacity ), the last one at the end of the road from Newtonmore. I started my walk at 7:01 am continuing the road downhill just behind the car park. There is a bridge over the Allt a Chaorain.
DSCF0517.JPG
Shortly after the bridge the road is leading along the River Calder. I jumped closer to the river to snap the colours from the sunrise in the water
:D
DSCF0525.JPG
Silent morning's walk.......
DSCF0527.JPG
After 1 mile from the car park, I turned right, just before the another bridge and house and followed the track towards North-North-West to the Mountains
DSCF0528.JPG
The Mountains ahead...not any of my targets visible yet, still hidden behind them
DSCF0529.JPG
The view towards West
DSCF0533.JPG
Looking back to the sunrise...
DSCF0536.JPG
Still following the path along the stream in the Glen
DSCF0542.JPG
...then turned left and used the smaller path leading to the footbridge via short boggy ground
DSCF0549.JPG
Shortly after the footbridge the ground is really boggy, but the sign of the path is still visible. After split of the track, followed the one in the right to the big open grassy area. First sign of the 1st Munro - Carn Dearg. I probably missed a plate "Welcome to the boggy land" but even without I was sure that I'm there.
:lol: :roll: :lol:
DSCF0560.JPG
Because all the boggy places around, I decided to follow the track in the grass which was ascending gently on the opposite side of Carn Dearg ( Meall na Ceardaich ) and then get the summit from upper level rather than going straight to climb the Munro. Carn Dearg summit ahead in the right...notice the boggy area in the bottom
:crazy: :wink:
DSCF0564.JPG
The summit of Carn Dearg
DSCF0576.JPG
Some nice views from the summit, just limited by the oncoming clouds. I started my walk to the second Munro, looked back towards the Carn Dearg again...
DSCF0581.JPG
The endless view from the plateau, walking between the Munro no.1 and Munro no.2. The terrain was hard...grass and stones, but much better than the boggy area in the bottom
DSCF0588.JPG
Long walk on the plateau, his is what means clouds free tops...you can't see any cloud as they are hidden in the mist
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DSCF0589.JPG
...and this is what means boggy land. Surprisingly I got through just with some mud on my sole only as I was stepping very carefully
:crazy: :lol:
DSCF0590.JPG
The featureless summit of Carn Sgulain, still misty...no views
DSCF0596.JPG
After long time in the fog, finally clear view so I was able to see where I am going to... A' Chailleach ahead, need just walk through the pathless boggy grass and chose any way up
DSCF0604.JPG
Munro no.3 - the summit of A' Chailleach, misty...without views again.
DSCF0625.JPG
Clear views again while descending from A' Chailleach. A wee bothy in the distance...
DSCF0633.JPG
...a long way through the rough terrain
DSCF0639.JPG
Finally joined this wider and more comfortable road
:)
DSCF0645.JPG
Near to the car park...looking towards West and enjoying the Autumn colours

I got back to the car park at 13:37, a lot of cars there already in the time. Afternoon just started and I felt great after the refreshment in the hills...ready to drive back home 8) :D
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: Golden Autumn at Monadhliath...until boggy, foggy, boggy

Postby jamesb63 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:02 pm

Well done Petr :clap: :clap: Boggy is an understatement in some of your pics :crazy:
But I do love the colours of Autumn in the hill :D
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PerthAlly » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:55 pm

Well done once more Petr :D

Lousy views . But at least you're getting out and about. I'm bogged down with work :(

Any free time for me is on the golf course :lol:
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Gorgeous sunrise.... and a lot of mud! :wtf:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:18 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Well done Petr :clap: :clap: Boggy is an understatement in some of your pics :crazy:
But I do love the colours of Autumn in the hill :D

Thanks James :) Fortunately I avoided most of the mud - by slalom :lol:
I love Autumn in the mountains because of the colours, also Winter in the mountains if clear blue sky, white snow, grey rock , freeze... 8)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:23 pm

PerthAlly wrote:Well done once more Petr :D

Lousy views . But at least you're getting out and about. I'm bogged down with work :(

Any free time for me is on the golf course :lol:

Thanks Ally :) I have a busy time by work now as well :roll: so happy for the tuesday in the mountains - great refreshment from all... :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:27 pm

dogplodder wrote:Gorgeous sunrise.... and a lot of mud! :wtf:

Thanks, I love sunrise :D and preferably without the mud :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Nice report Petr, enjoyed these, mostly :lol: some wee a wee bit damp :lol:

Shame I didn't know in advance we could have met up after your walk as I was working in Kingussie that day :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:30 pm

I really enjoyed that walk when I did it a few weeks ago. Like you...yes the bog is pretty bad! You did some really good time on these hills!! Getting up at 3am :shock:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:31 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Nice report Petr, enjoyed these, mostly :lol: some wee a wee bit damp :lol:

Shame I didn't know in advance we could have met up after your walk as I was working in Kingussie that day :D :D

Thanks Dave :) Fortunately the damp was not so bad like it looks :D
Sorry we did not meet :( I would turn to Kingussie as I had left some spare ( even little ) time, if I knew about.
Hope some day in the future...thanks again :D

Mountainlove wrote:I really enjoyed that walk when I did it a few weeks ago. Like you...yes the bog is pretty bad! You did some really good time on these hills!! Getting up at 3am :shock:

I agree, despite how it looks the walk is really enjoyable...especially in the early morning's silence and the Autumn colours. Great refreshment there ! :D
I just looked at your report and I see we had a lot of pics from the same places :o :D
apart from these in my report also some more:
DSCF0566.JPG
DSCF0640.JPG
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Silverhill » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:23 pm

Shame about the fog. This is big sky country on a clear day. :D
I’m very envious that you manage to get out on the hills virtually every week. :mrgreen:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Silverhill wrote:Shame about the fog. This is big sky country on a clear day. :D
I’m very envious that you manage to get out on the hills virtually every week. :mrgreen:

Thank you :D every second week...mostly, if I'm lucky :wink: Missed some views, but fortunately on the wide endless plateau...hills around not visible for navigation, but the fence track and GPS made it :roll: :D
Looking forward to see your next report...hope you will pack your rucksack soon...don't miss the Autumn colours :wink: :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:12 am

Another great report Petr and three Munros closer to your completion :clap:
Wasn't a great summer, but if the weather in Scotland has been anything like here in Ireland, then the last five weeks will have been fabulously calm sunny days 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:52 pm

ancancha wrote:Another great report Petr and three Munros closer to your completion :clap:
Wasn't a great summer, but if the weather in Scotland has been anything like here in Ireland, then the last five weeks will have been fabulously calm sunny days 8)

Thanks Craig :) Completion still far away, if will be any...It's not my goal to complete all, I'm keeping it open if yes or not :wink: But definitely I want to explore more and more mountains, all the most known and all the most challenging, then repeat the favourites with my family and my friends or any visitors or just alone like I mostly do...the mountains which I will feel connected to my heart and my soul :) ( planning Ben Nevis via CMD in November again - my Ben Nevis trip no.17 ! :lol: )
As the summer was not so good by the weather, the autumn started great in September and October 8) :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:34 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:
ancancha wrote:Another great report Petr and three Munros closer to your completion :clap:

Thanks Craig :) Completion still far away, if will be any...It's not my goal to complete all, I'm keeping it open if yes or not :wink: But definitely I want to explore more and more mountains, all the most known and all the most challenging, then repeat the favourites with my family and my friends or any visitors or just alone like I mostly do...the mountains which I will feel connected to my heart and my soul :) ( planning Ben Nevis via CMD in November again - my Ben Nevis trip no.17 ! :lol: )
As the summer was not so good by the weather, the autumn started great in September and October 8) :D

A bit of me in their as well; I'd have liked to have done them all, but in my mind was looking forward to returning to the one's I liked for a second look at the views I missed in the clag for some :lol: , although for others the fond memories.
Your one with the steep zig zags looked like great fun as well 8)

Guess if I make it back over the Ben will have to be done, but like you it will be via the CMD :wink:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland