walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canisp - Assynt Is Growing On Me!

Canisp - Assynt Is Growing On Me!

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Route description: Canisp

Corbetts included on this walk: Canisp

Date walked: 30/10/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13.2 km

Ascent: 819m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was a bit undecided today. The forecast suggested if I was going to chase the decent weather then it would be the north west but beyond that I had Glas Bheinn, Ben More Assynt, Suilven, Cul Mor and Canisp in my head so I took info on all of them with me. By the time I got to Inverness I had decided on Glas Bheinn, decision taken, then when driving past Loch Awe I stopped in the parking area to the north of the loch and once I had looked up towards Canisp I binned Glas Bheinn and got the boots on - there's nothing to beat being decisive :lol: :lol:

The WH notes warn about a damp start and it is pretty squidgy for the first twenty minutes.

1.jpg
Loch Awe

2.jpg
Looks like a straight forward route ahead

There was a lot of surface water on the path rather than deep bog and it was possible to meander on and off the track to keep the feet reasonably dry as I walked round the north end of Loch Awe and followed the grassy track as it gently climbed through the heather.

I could see about a dozen deer ahead of me and assumed they would quickly disappear once they saw me heading towards them but surprisingly they weren't that bothered by me. When I reached them they were about thirty to forty yards off the path and they just stood their ground and kept a close eye on me. Especially at this time of year I didn't want to get any closer so took a few shots and left them to it.

3.jpg
Not that bothered by me

4.jpg
Seconds out.......round 1

5.jpg
Grassy track

It didn't take me long to lose the track but it didn't seem to matter as I was on a wide shoulder and it looked like it was just a case of choosing my route and heading up.

6.jpg
Transition from wet grass track to a few boulders dotted around

7.jpg
Getting drier and rockier

8.jpg
Looking back to Loch Awe

9.jpg
Getting more interesting

On reaching a minor rocky gorge I headed over to the left where I could see the outline of a path on the far side, this was a bit slick on the incline and a couple of times I needed to grab a clump of heather to keep my balance. After the gorge it was a bit rockier which was great as the feet could dry out a bit and I tend to speed up when rock hopping.

In front of me on the climb I had minor tops to my left and right, I headed more towards the left one and eventually I got a good look at the final climb to the top.

18.jpg
Looking towards the top of Canisp

24.jpg
Cul Mor?

I stopped for a couple of minutes trying to decide whether to take the direct route up the final climb or whether to follow the grassy path round to the left and then turning right and climbing up towards the top. I chose to follow the track which was just as well as there was an unseen gorge which would have meant losing a bit of height before taking on the final climb.

10.jpg
Following the grassy track on the final climb

I was really enjoying this climb then all of a sudden this appeared.

11.jpg
Suilven - just WOW

I have seen loads of photos of Suilven before and thought it looked good - seeing it for myself for the first time was just brilliant (even on an overcast slightly dull day). Having grown up using slide film I have an inbuilt conservative approach to taking photos (when paying £10 plus for a roll of 36 slides it teaches you to take only the shots you are fairly sure about) but suddenly the camera was out and I was taking loads of shots from every conceivable angle. I had to force myself away and get on with the final climb and it was only a few minutes to the top.

It had been a very calm morning until reaching the top but suddenly there was a fairly strong and cool wind so I made for the shelter and got the hat and thin gloves on as I would coll down quickly once I started to wander around the top.

12.jpg

13.jpg
Suilven again

14.jpg
This rock looked interesting

15.jpg
Ridge on Canisp (oh, and Suilven in the background)

16.jpg
Shelter at the top

I spent about 15 minutes at the top but the wind was strengthening and for the first time in about 8 months in the hills I was starting to feel cold so decided to head off back down the hill.

17.jpg
Interesting rock formation (Oh and there's Suilven again in the background)

On the way down I very occasionally found the outline of a path but most of the time I was just rock hopping and concentrating on the next step which explains why when I stopped and looked up I was about 300 yards off line and had to contour round the hill to get myself back on the route I took on the climb.

19.jpg

20.jpg

Eventually I meandered my way down and all that was left was the damp grassy track back to the car.

21.jpg
One of the wetter sections of track

22.jpg
Loch Awe

23.jpg
Loch Awe

A very straight forward hill this one and on a good day I would imagine the views would be stunning (I definitely want to return on a better day). The gradient is easy and the rock hopping good fun. The first section (and when returning by the same route the last section as well) is damp and at one point my left boot disappeared below the water but that was on the way back when I tend to stop meandering and go for the more direct option.

The forecast was good for AM and high clouds were meant to come in by early afternoon but when I arrived at the car park at 8.20am the clouds had already arrived and were waiting for me so I didn't get the views as there was also a bit of haze around.

It's taken me a long time to discover Assynt and despite an 8-9hr round trip it's a place I want to get back to as often as I can.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Canisp - Assynt Is Growing On Me!

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:14 am

Nice report and great pics even for an overcast day.

it does grow on you doesn't it, my favourite area :D Suilven is a real mountain :D Made me laugh about you conservatism towards photos due to the cost of slides.....now wheres my projector ...those 25ASA were a bugger in low light :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:28 am

You certainly don't mind the driving to get to a good hill! :lol: Makes me think from my vantage point I should be nipping up to Assynt a lot more often! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:12 am

Not done this one Geordie, glad to hear the first section is not as waterlogged as first thought :D next time I'm in the area looks like this one gets done :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:44 pm

I started doing a report for this hill, then lost it.

I was also totally amazed when i got to the top of this hill as the views to suliven was stunning

One of my favourite areas :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:14 pm

That looked rather nice :thumbup: Can see why this area is growing on you - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Blokewithastroke » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:12 pm

I envy you - at having the opportunity to - in my case - re-visit this mountain. Although the climb is far from magnificent, the views over to Suilven are simply out of this world. It was for this reason we - i.e. my wife and son - took the effort and climbed it over two years ago. Good on you for climbing this too! I long to be back...
Blokewithastroke
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:15

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:26 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Nice report and great pics even for an overcast day.

it does grow on you doesn't it, my favourite area :D Suilven is a real mountain :D Made me laugh about you conservatism towards photos due to the cost of slides.....now wheres my projector ...those 25ASA were a bugger in low light :lol:

Not to mention all the gear I used to carry, don't think the back could cope with it now.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:29 pm

dogplodder wrote:You certainly don't mind the driving to get to a good hill! :lol: Makes me think from my vantage point I should be nipping up to Assynt a lot more often! :D

Changed car in late July and I've done 9,000 miles since (not all hill walking - 400 miles a week to get to work).

With your base you certainly don't have an excuse............next good day!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:30 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Not done this one Geordie, glad to hear the first section is not as waterlogged as first thought :D next time I'm in the area looks like this one gets done :lol:

It's not very often I do a hill before you Rod - this isn't one for Noddy :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:32 pm

mountain thyme wrote:I started doing a report for this hill, then lost it.

I was also totally amazed when i got to the top of this hill as the views to suliven was stunning

One of my favourite areas :D

Hi mountain thyme - it's not very often I'm amazed by the sight of a hill but this was different - especially as it is hidden from view the entire way till the last little climb.

I can understand why it is one of your favourite areas.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:34 pm

rockhopper wrote:That looked rather nice :thumbup: Can see why this area is growing on you - cheers :)

Hi rockhopper - I think I need to think about doing a B&B night up there and spending two days in the area rather than one off long drives (but then that would probably be too sensible for me).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:36 pm

Blokewithastroke wrote:I envy you - at having the opportunity to - in my case - re-visit this mountain. Although the climb is far from magnificent, the views over to Suilven are simply out of this world. It was for this reason we - i.e. my wife and son - took the effort and climbed it over two years ago. Good on you for climbing this too! I long to be back...

I enjoyed the climb after the first twenty minutes of bog hopping.

I think, like you, this is one I will re-visit.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:29 pm

You brought back memories for me again :D I never wrote a report from this Corbett as it was done long before I joined WH. It's a cracker, though a bit underrated. I loved it :D

BTw did you come across the "staircase waterfall"?
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:13 pm

What's the worst view in Assynt?
The view from the top of Suilven.
Why's that?
Because you can't see Suilven.

:D

Doesn't matter where I go, if I can see Suilven then that's the only thing I take photos of. Nice to know I'm not alone :D Enjoyed reading that.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland