walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Come on, update this route...

Come on, update this route...

Postby skye2304 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Route description: Streap, near Glenfinnan

Corbetts included on this walk: Streap

Date walked: 02/11/2015

Distance: 17.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

You are likely reading this to get a feel for the route.
Well, in my opinion, take a leaf out of Ralph Storer's books ( and other reviewers here) and do not start the walk by cutting across the hillside. It's purgatory, a waste of a couple of valuable hours and best reserved as a recommendation to your deadliest enemy.

Better to go along the beautiful forest track, to the bridge and cut directly up the hillside, Believe me. Enough said. Other than that a great walk.

So, come on you people at walkhighlands, get real and update this route for the rest of us :)
skye2304
Mountain Walker

Munros:90   
Hewitts:127
Wainwrights:169   

Re: Come on, update this route...

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:17 pm

I had a similar view re a walk somewhere near Loch Lochy, cant recall which. The described route would have been a dull slog all the way. By talking it from the other side it was sheer delight ascending relatively easily up into a magnificent corrie :D

It came up in conversation a while later and was pointed out that by leaving the original route it would be less frequented, and hence all the better for it.

The best advice from my experience is to not look at the routes at all. Get the map out, preferably 1:50000 so as to not show all paths and study the walk, mountain, whatever and decide your route, how you would best tackle it, paths or no paths. This also serves to give you a picture in your head of what to expect and also to look for escape routes should things turn bad :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:21 pm

spiderwebb wrote: The best advice from my experience is to not look at the routes at all.

Except in this case the route on here looks perfectly reasonable on the map, which gives no indication of the evil tussocky ground one has to cross!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:03 pm

True, although it would depend on the marked woodland ie if cultivated woodland such as forestry stuff it can be a bit dull but I don't know it for sure.

Alternative walk in Gleann a Chaorainn ? Although that would go against my promise never to drive down Loch Arkaig ever !! Its a rollercoaster :lol: Glenfinnan maybe :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby skye2304 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:13 am

Yup.
Sometimes you absorb the experience of those that have done the route - maps don't tell all.
In fact, that little aphorism has helped me avoid a sticky situation or two in the hills.
I'm very thankful for the kind people that share experiences. Long may it continue.

As a sasanach, from south of the border, I generally do Scotland in the winter. So see more of the white stuff than the brown.
However, a heart sink moment occurred when I emerged into Coire an Tuim and look down to the bridge and saw what I could have done.... Why oh why did anyone suggest that traverse? And I still was no-where near the ridge:(

A lovely day, though....
skye2304
Mountain Walker

Munros:90   
Hewitts:127
Wainwrights:169   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:15 am

The SMC Corbetts guide recommends the same route, so this site is not alone!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:36 am

Walked up the path via the Corryhully Bothy. We still remarked when we were in the middle of the ascent (as everyone does, I have since discovered) that they should have left the R out of its name. Only did it that way as we were in bagging mode, had more hills to do in the area and didn't want to add any extra distance if we could help it. The WH way looked much more picturesque.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:47 am

I imagine the Walkhighlands team will have added the route as they walked it. If you want to suggest a change, I would start a thread in the feedback forum:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewforum.php?f=4
as this post is not that likely to be spotted amongst the hundreds of other walk reports.

Whether they will want to change it is another matter - if they do, they may want to walk the suggested change before updating the route. Still, no harm in asking.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland