walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

7 Fells round Skiddaw.

7 Fells round Skiddaw.


Postby mamoset » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:34 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Carl Side, Dodd, Long Side, Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man, Ullock Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Carl Side, Long Side, Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Date walked: 02/11/2015

Time taken: 6.3

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1200m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).


our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts


I had originally planned to do this walk in reverse, but with the possibility of a cloud inversion, i decided to go high first. The sky was clear as i set off, aiming first for Lonscale Fell.
IMG_7787.JPG
Little Man & Jenkin Hill.
It was quite warm heading up here and there was plenty of people heading out. As i got higher, the low cloud was evident over Derwent Water.
IMG_7793.JPG
Looking towards Derwent Water.
There was nice views across to the west as well.
IMG_7796.JPG
North Western fells.
I soon reached the crossroads and headed up to Lonscale Fell.
IMG_7808.JPG
Lonscale Fell.
I went out to the Pike to see Blencathras boring side, then left for Skiddaw.
IMG_7818.JPG
Northern Fells.
IMG_7799.JPG
Little Man & Skiddaw.
IMG_7819.JPG
Looking back to Lonscale & Blencathra from ascent of "Lesser Man"
I headed over Lesser Man, then on up to Little Man. The cloud lifted for a while, allowing a glimpse of Derwent Water.
IMG_7826.JPG
Derwent Water.
IMG_7829.JPG
Distant Helvellyn range.
Little Man was topped, before i made my way up and on to Skiddaw.
IMG_7835.JPG
Skiddaw Little Man.
On the ascent, i got a shot of the four to do after Skiddaw.
IMG_7837.JPG
Dodd, Carl Side, Long Side & Ullock Pike.
It was quite busy on Skiddaws summit, so i didn't hang around and left to go down the scree run to Carl Side.
IMG_7843.JPG
Skiddaw.
IMG_7853.JPG
Back o' Skiddaw from summit.
IMG_7846.JPG
Sale & Ling Fell from descent.
The following 3 tops are easily topped, with very little ascent & descent between them.
IMG_7860.JPG
Carl Side (& mutt, not mine!!)
IMG_7865.JPG
Long Side.
IMG_7871.JPG
Ullock Pike.
IMG_7874.JPG
Last stop, Dodd in the foreground.
With no obvious path down to Longside Wood, i headed straight down through the heather, then the plantation, before finding a sort of path that eventually got me to Cable Gill, which i followed down to the path and then on up to Dodd.
IMG_7887.JPG
Dodd.
IMG_7890.JPG
Helvellyn range from Dodd.
All that remained now was to follow the path down to the road, and then head back up to the car, which in the stifling heat, amazing for November, was some chore :shock: It was quite a pleasant walk really, with some strange signs along the way.
IMG_7900.JPG
Somebody has a sense of humour!!
Last edited by mamoset on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamoset
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1453
Munros:127   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Feb 12, 2011

Re: 7 Fells round Skiddaw.

Postby ChrisW » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:38 pm

That looks a great round Mamoset and what a fantastic day for November (thanks el nino :lol: ) Really lovely photos, it must have been awesome in the flesh. That squirrel sign is a cracker....it's the greys that can't drive around here :lol:
User avatar
ChrisW
Scrambler
 
Posts: 4938
Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   
Joined: Jan 25, 2011
Location: Cochrane- Alberta - Canada

Re: 7 Fells round Skiddaw.

Postby simon-b » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:05 pm

A fine range. Skiddaw is a mountain of great character with superb views, and the Ullock Pike ridge is particularly good. Nice to see you got the weather for it, mamoset.
User avatar
simon-b
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1902
Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Grahams:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:156
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4
Joined: Jan 2, 2012
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Re: 7 Fells round Skiddaw.

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:44 pm

Looks like a brilliant round - not done Skiddaw and surrounding hills, but it looks well worth it. The pics really show it off - excellent. And wow! what weather you had! It was a bit less spectacular down here in the Midlands yesterday :(
User avatar
Alteknacker
Scrambler
 
Posts: 2620
Munros:167   Corbetts:29
Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:71   
Joined: May 25, 2013
Location: Effete South (of WIgan, anyway)

Re: 7 Fells round Skiddaw.

Postby mamoset » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:18 pm

ChrisW wrote:That looks a great round Mamoset and what a fantastic day for November (thanks el nino :lol: ) Really lovely photos, it must have been awesome in the flesh. That squirrel sign is a cracker....it's the greys that can't drive around here :lol:

Cheers Chris, not often we benefit from the weather :crazy: . Only saw one Red and it wasn't the one on the sign :lol:
simon-b wrote:A fine range. Skiddaw is a mountain of great character with superb views, and the Ullock Pike ridge is particularly good. Nice to see you got the weather for it, mamoset.

Strangely, Skiddaw has never had much pull for me, but really enjoyed it on this walk :D

Alteknacker wrote:Looks like a brilliant round - not done Skiddaw and surrounding hills, but it looks well worth it. The pics really show it off - excellent. And wow! what weather you had! It was a bit less spectacular down here in the Midlands yesterday :(

Hey Alte, you shoulda shot up north, took advantage of some fine Lakeland sun 8) This is a walk i would recommend, though might be a bit short for you :shock:
mamoset
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1453
Munros:127   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Feb 12, 2011

Re: 7 Fells round Skiddaw.

Postby martin.h » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:34 pm

Great Report mamoset and cracking photos, especially the inversions, I liked the Sale and Ling Fell one.
Looks like you had great conditions for some good photography :mrgreen:
Cheers.
User avatar
martin.h
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 482
Munros:203   Corbetts:16
Grahams:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:145
Wainwrights:213   
Joined: Jul 31, 2011
Location: Halifax, West Yorkshire

Re: 7 Fells round Skiddaw.

Postby mamoset » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:57 pm

martin.h wrote:Great Report mamoset and cracking photos, especially the inversions, I liked the Sale and Ling Fell one.
Looks like you had great conditions for some good photography :mrgreen:
Cheers.


Thanks martin, it was indeed a grand day :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1453
Munros:127   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Feb 12, 2011

Re: 7 Fells round Skiddaw.

Postby trailmasher » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:41 pm

A good walk on some great hills with photos to boot :clap: there is so much to see and find behind Skiddaw in the out of the way places. I found the walk from Dodd back to the car park at Latrigg tedious on a hot day :(
User avatar
trailmasher
Walker
 
Posts: 1103
Munros:11   
Hewitts:180
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Nov 26, 2014
Location: Near Appleby - Cumbria

Re: 7 Fells round Skiddaw.

Postby mamoset » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:26 pm

trailmasher wrote:A good walk on some great hills with photos to boot :clap: there is so much to see and find behind Skiddaw in the out of the way places. I found the walk from Dodd back to the car park at Latrigg tedious on a hot day :(

You're right there trail, its a long way back to Latrigg :shock:
mamoset
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1453
Munros:127   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Feb 12, 2011

Re: 7 Fells round Skiddaw.

Postby The English Alpinist » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Classic route, grand yet civilized (being so close to Keswick), it must have been a great day. I love that cloud inversion around Dodd. So that's what Lonscale Fell looks like?! lol I was there in thick mist last Saturday, and saw nothing but the bog around me. Reassuring to know I did indeed hit the summit cairn, though, as I recognize it from your pic thanks.
The English Alpinist
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 143
Hewitts:105
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Oct 27, 2015

Re: 7 Fells round Skiddaw.

Postby mamoset » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:33 pm

The English Alpinist wrote:Classic route, grand yet civilized (being so close to Keswick), it must have been a great day. I love that cloud inversion around Dodd. So that's what Lonscale Fell looks like?! lol I was there in thick mist last Saturday, and saw nothing but the bog around me. Reassuring to know I did indeed hit the summit cairn, though, as I recognize it from your pic thanks.

I certainly had a better weather day than you, luck of the draw I guess :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1453
Munros:127   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Feb 12, 2011

Re: 7 Fells round Skiddaw.

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:05 pm

I'm not getting sick of seeing all these cloud inversion reports at all honest :lol: Very jealous indeed, thanks for sharing what looked a glorious day. :clap:
User avatar
johnkaysleftleg
Walker
 
Posts: 3002
Munros:24   Corbetts:9
Grahams:10   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:166
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: County Durham

Re: 7 Fells round Skiddaw.

Postby mamoset » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:21 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:I'm not getting sick of seeing all these cloud inversion reports at all honest :lol: Very jealous indeed, thanks for sharing what looked a glorious day. :clap:

Thanks jk, it was indeed a cracking day to be on the fells :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1453
Munros:127   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Feb 12, 2011

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).



Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests