walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slochd to Carrbridge and back - the delights of autumn

Slochd to Carrbridge and back - the delights of autumn

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:52 pm

Date walked: 01/11/2015

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 216m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've been troubled with a broken tooth recently and not really feeling up to anything too tackling. Not to mention my weird looks. It was all right for Halloween, I could play the wicked witch without characterization (ha ha ha), but I didn't want to risk heading up the hills with my head spinning around. Still, last Sunday was such a glorious day, I couldn't resist spending a few hours outside :D
It was Kevin who found the Carrbridge-Slochd route, suggesting we walked it up and down, about 11 miles distance, which was fine by me as long as I had enough ibuprofen in my pocket. Actually, I needn't have worried too much, I felt reasonably well all day and we spent some fantastic time surrounded by the delights of autumn :D

Track_SLOCHD 01-11-15.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We started from the north, from the car park by Slochd Mhor Lodge. First, we headed up the small bridge over the railway. From here, we could admire the Slochd Pass Railroad bridge - big and bold over the ravine:
The sky was blue, the colours of autumn were gorgeous and we knew we were going to have a "snapping" day today :wink: Indeed, we took over 200 photos, mostly of trees and shrubs in different shades of fall... As well as wider landscapes, too:
The route is straightforward and for most time follows the national cycleway, dry underfoot and on good tracks/paths, it can be easily enjoyed by people and panthers any time of the year. Today it was Kevin who did most of the meowing :lol: though I told him to be quiet when we walked past the capercaillie reserve:
There are special bird-watching hideouts along the way, we even stopped for a short time and watched, but didn't notice any capercaillie lurking around. Probably too late in the year to see them...
According to RSPB, there are only around 1,200 birds left in Scotland, all of which favour pine forest as their home. A survey carried out in 2009/10 showed 35% decline of the population in less than a decade :( The only time I saw capercaillie live was in captivity, so I would love to meet one in the wild. Not this time, but maybe we'll come back here in breeding season with binoculars and loads of patience.
In the meantime, we continued through the forest. Colin's Leap didn't have much water in it...
...but there were other attractions to be seen. Like this cute little bridge:
No capercaillie, but a small flock of quacking kind:
Past the Insharn farm (where turkeys were running about) we emerged onto the open space and views soon became breathtaking:
The way ahead:
Simply magnificent:
I was experimenting with the panoramic function, but the results were odd to say the least :lol:
The track passes through some lovely birchwoods, especially now, with all the colours of fall, the surrounding scenery was spectacular:

I didn't even realize we have already spent far too much time playing with our cameras :lol: and we were not even half way along...
Eventually, the track descended steeply to a gorgeous little glen, to River Dulnain and the Sluggan bridge:
This was the most picturesque spot of the whole walk and made even more stunning by the nostalgic colours of autumn. The old bridge is now just a walkway:
This must have been a cottage once, now just a sad ruin:
We took a short detour along the river to get a better look at the old bridge. This structure was built in the 1830s, replacing an older bridge which had been swept away by flood in 1829. It's 58 feet tall and 14 feet wide. It's a category A listed building.
Kevin investigating:
The bridge seen from the river...
...and vice versa:
We crossed the bridge and soon spotted a group of interesting trees, I even stopped to pose...
Lovely autumn atmosphere...
Having spent some time snapping the scenery, we continued through the forest, enjoying the warm day:
The path emerged out of the woods eventually and joined a tarmac road, but it was a very quiet local road with next to no traffic and still passing through beautiful countryside. A joy to walk along :D
River Dulnain and the autumn forest:
Hills, cows and pastures:
Even more autumnal trees:

The road to Carrbridge:
We walked under the busy A9 and reached Carrbridge. Instead of going straight to the town center, we turned right and dived into the local park, where we found a nice bench to sit on and enjoy our picnic :D There is a good car park next to the old cemy, so one could do this walk starting from here.
On the return we took fewer breaks and enjoyed the delights of autumn once more...
Some shots taken on the way back, the light was different in the afternoon but still just as gorgeous.
River Dulnain:
Trees:
A good route for an easier day, really worth doing especially this time of the year.

Such a shame that weather is turning rubbish for the WH meet and it's the first time I decided to attend it! Bad omen for my future socializing????

Thankfully, my tooth will undergo fixing in a couple of days. I'm dreading it but at the same time I can't wait to be able to smile again!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Slochd to Carrbridge and back - the delights of autumn

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:40 pm

lovely colours :D ..looks like this could be a good route for bikes?
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:26 pm

SAVAGEALICE wrote:lovely colours :D ..looks like this could be a good route for bikes?

Thanks :D yes the colours of autumn were superb for photos, especially in the forest.

It is definitely a great route for bikes, actually it's a part of national cycleway. I think it's possible to cycle past Carrbridge, through Carr Plantation to Boat of Garten. We might investigate it next year :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:31 pm

That looks a fine daunder , nice Autumnal colours, I wonder who Colin was? :wink: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:47 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:That looks a fine daunder , nice Autumnal colours, I wonder who Colin was? :wink: :lol:

Hi Rod, we really enjoyed this wee wander, such a shame it has been removed from the list of WH walks :(

I haven't got a clue who Colin was, either :lol: Maybe some local hero?
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:43 pm

Your head was spinning around BP :shock: :shock: :shock:

That looked like a really good low level walk - brilliant light for photos.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:22 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Your head was spinning around BP :shock: :shock: :shock:

That looked like a really good low level walk - brilliant light for photos.

Cheers, Gordie, it is still spinning, just back from the torture chamber :lol: :lol: At least I don't look like like the wicked witch any more.

Wish that sunny autumn spell lasted a week longer, just long enough for the meet... But we're getting gales and torrential rain instead. :(
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland