walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rising out of the murk.....

Rising out of the murk.....

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Route description: Auchnafree Hill from Loch Turret

Corbetts included on this walk: Auchnafree Hill

Date walked: 03/11/2015

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Choinneachain Hill 787m

Video of inversion and report:

I had Monday afternoon and Tuesday off work as I was headed south to Newcastle for the Monday evening. Taking Tuesday off was for recovery and a nice amble back up the road….

Anyway, the gig was enjoyable and we were actually all up early on the Tuesday and left Newcastle for home by 9am. We had driven through thick fog on the Monday evening and the forecast was the same for Tuesday, however I couldn’t resist a look at the mountain forecasts- blue skies… mmmmmmm.

The drive back was uneventful but the fog that lay waiting in Perthshire had me dropping off my overnight bag and replacing it with my drone and kit bag. The bike was thrown in the boot and I was off up the Glen with a minuscule turnaround time!! The fog was thick and didn’t look like shifting – this was good news as it was about 13.40 by the time I reached Monzie. As I drove up towards the Turret dam car park my heart lifted as the light changed and little bits of brightness started to appear… soon the glimpses of blue started to expand and the grey fog was left behind… A cracking inversion!!

Imageadmiring the iews by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Sunset was 16.28 so I knew I had to be swift. I was aiming for Auchnafree Hill and had initially thought about heading along Loch Turret then up to Auchnafree hill as per the last few visits, but as the inversion was to the south I took the 4 by 4 track down towards Easter Knockbae. I’m glad I did as the views here were amazing. A sea of fog spread before me until the Ochils were reached. Torlum Hill looked splendid as it raised its head above the fog
ImageTorlum Hill above the fog by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagehills of Loch Earn by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imageinversion over Strathearn Torlum by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

I headed round the path and eventually got off the bike and gingerly pushed it up (knee complaining!) to the 551 cairn and took a breather (and more photos and video!!)

The views were immense and opening up. The inversion really changed the landscape. From here on it was on and off the bike, the flatter areas were fine to cycle but some steeper parts required a pushing method!! The great views continued as I reached Creag Chaisean. Looking over Corrie Barvick the shadows were being cast from one side of the Blue Craigs to the other. I could now see the two large Cairns indicating (King Kenneth Cairn?? Carn Chainiebin – must be some historical event linked to this???) and also the top of Choinneachain Hill. I got to the 787m top of Choinneachain and soaked in the views and also noticed how close the sun was to the horizon!! Auchnafree would have to wait for another ascent!

Imagechoinneachain summt by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagelowering sun by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

A few photos and videos then a spectacular sunset descent back to the car in time for dusk!! A rather enjoyable 3 hours out and about.

ImageMore and Binnein by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageBike views by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Rising out of the murk.....

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:39 pm

Brilliant video (as always) - I've never seen Torlum look so good.

I've done this route a few times but always going along Loch Turret first so a clockwise route (understand why you went anti-clockwise and it paid off).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:51 pm

Forgot to ask, what was the opening music?
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Silverhill » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Ooo, I enjoyed watching that! The drone has been a great purchase, it really draws you into the experience. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:21 am

Gordie12 wrote:Brilliant video (as always) - I've never seen Torlum look so good.

I've done this route a few times but always going along Loch Turret first so a clockwise route (understand why you went anti-clockwise and it paid off).

Thanks Gordie, ashamed to say that I have never ascended Torlum Hill - would have been perfect on Tuesday with its head poking through the fog!

I decided to head anticlockwise to get close to the valley for the above reasons but had planned on completing the circular but day light beat me and I scooted back down towards the inversion after reaching Choinneachain :)

ATB
Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby hopper68 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:25 am

Brilliant stuff :clap:
hopper68
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:34
Fionas:17   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:11

Postby litljortindan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:14 pm

Looks a great trip and somewhere for us to visit.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:25 am

Gordie12 wrote:Forgot to ask, what was the opening music?

hello - sorry for delay in getting back to you - its called End of Sunrise by Ambysphere :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:26 am

Silverhill wrote:Ooo, I enjoyed watching that! The drone has been a great purchase, it really draws you into the experience. :D

Thanks Silverhill, apart from dragging it up the hill, I've really enjoyed using the drone so far- hope for some more footage over the winter if my recovery goes to plan !!! :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:27 am

hopper68 wrote:Brilliant stuff :clap:

Thanks Hopper :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:28 am

litljortindan wrote:Looks a great trip and somewhere for us to visit.

If taking the bike - an afternoon should do it (maybe when days are a little longer). I may have managed loop if it wasn't for stopping every 3 minutes to admire the views ! :lol:

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:32 pm

That was fabulous - photos, video and music! :D

What kind of camera have you?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland