walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Tairbeirt on a lovely October morning

Cruach Tairbeirt on a lovely October morning

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:50 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cruach Tairbeirt

Date walked: 18/10/2015

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 3.5 km

Ascent: 380m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had originally earmarked the Sunday 18th October for a walk, and I had high hopes as the forecast was looking promising... However, I also sing in a choir, and a Sunday rehearsal got called at short notice due to a degree of 'unpreparedness' for a concert the next weekend :evil: . Drat, Drat and double Drat. Anyway, rather than abandon any idea of a walk on such a lovely October morning, I decided to make a quick dawn raid on Cruach Tairbeirt, a handy Sub2K Marilyn that I'd heard has great views of Loch Lomond.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I got up to Tarbert nice and early, and parked in the handy big car park at the restaurant in the converted church, currently called 'Slainj'. The menu looked nice, but no time today, sadly! I walked up to Arrochar & Tarbert Station, where a handy underpass under the West Highland Line is actually signed 'Cruach Tairbeirt' - definitely useful to have confirmation that I was going the right way :lol: ...
WR1 - railway underpass.jpg

The initial route is very straightforward on forestry tracks, following red waymarkers. The sun was shining attractively through the trees, and it was a great morning to be out and about :D .
WR2 - sun through trees.jpg

A bit higher up, the track levels after a fairly steep section, crosses a burn, and starts to go downhill slightly for a hundred metres or so. At this point, a rough path cuts up left, to eventually reach the top of the forestry.
WR3 - rough path uphill off left.jpg

This next section provided a bit of fun by way of an informal Obstacle Course: a whole lot of fallen trees lie across the start of the path, and you have to decide whether to go over, under or around them. I think I did something along the lines of: over a big one; around another big one; over about five wee ones in close succession; under a big one; then over the last and biggest one. After this things got much more straightforward: just your basic uphill trudge through the Christmas trees, really.
WR4 - uphill through spruce.jpg

I unfortunately lost the intermittent path near the top of the trees, and came out a bit right (east) of where I should have, which meant that I missed what would have been a much clearer ongoing path from the corner of the forestry all the way to the summit, as I discovered on descent :oops: ... ah well, I suppose it made for a wee bit of a circular route.
WR5 - out of the trees at last.jpg
Anyway, it was easy enough just to pick a route uphill on grassy rakes, avoiding the wee craggy bits... and those promised views were starting to appear, right enough. It was actually Loch Long, rather than Loch Lomond, that came into view first:
WR6 - first glimpse of Loch Long.jpg

A wee bit higher up, the autumn colours were just looking glorious.
WR7 - Loch Long and tree with nice autumn colours.jpg

Almost at the top now, and the Bonny Banks had come into view too: a very pleasing vista down Loch Lomond South, with all its islands.
WR8 - first view down Loch Lomond.jpg

Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich were showing off their attractively craggy profiles in the sunshine.
WR9 - craggy profiles of Vane and Vorlich.jpg

The summit trig point did indeed prove to be a fantastic viewpoint for such a relatively lowly eminence. Another view of the craggy and conical Ben Vane: one of the very smallest Munros, but also one of the finest in the Southern Highlands, for my money.
WR10 - Cruach summit with Vane in background.jpg

A nice view down to Arrochar and Loch Long:
WR11 - view down Loch Long from summit.jpg

The Loch Sloy dam:
WR12 - Loch Slow dam from summit.jpg

Another view down Loch Lomond:
WR13 - down Loch Lomond from summit.jpg

And I think these hills are Ben Donich and The Brack, a couple of good craggy Corbetts that I've yet to tackle.
WR14 - Ben Donich & Brack maybe - check map.jpg

Frustratingly, the Cobbler still had its head just-and-no-more in the Clag at this point :( .
WR15 - Cobbler with head in clouds.jpg

I sat and waited for ten minutes or so in the hope that the cloud would move off... and eventually it just about did :) .
WR16 - Cobbler just about cloud-free at last.jpg

Needless to say, as soon as I set off on the descent (this time on a clear path), the Clag cleared off completely :lol: .
WR17 - cloud-free Cobbler on descent.jpg

Another good view of the Bonny Banks, although I had to squint a bit into the sun:
WR18 - into-sun view down Loch Lomond on descent.jpg
WR19 - another into-the-sun view of Bonny Banks.jpg

A last look down on Arrochar:
WR20 - a last Fyne view of Arrochar.jpg

And now it was time to tackle the forestry path again, and the Adventure Playground lower down.
WR21 - adventure playground on descent.jpg

A grand wee hill right enough, and I made it back to Glasgow in plenty time for my rehearsal - not an entirely lost day after all!
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Re: Cruach Tairbeirt on a lovely October morning

Postby katyhills » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Looked like a lovely day up there bhk. Great set of pix. The views across to Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich are gorgeous. I'd agree with you - Vane is a beauty, although I also like Vorlich, especially if you go over the end to get the whole ridge. Love the shots of the bonny, bonny banks too :D
Ben Donich is a smashing Corbett so hopefully you'll get a good day to do that one. I walked it recently on a lovely sunny afternoon after work. Knew I didn't have a lot of time, wasn't going to get The Brack as well, but didn't want to waste the good weather. It only took just over two and a half hours and the scrambly bit is really very straightforward. Beinn an Lochain next to it is terrific too.
I really must get round to doing a route report at some point! :roll:
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:15 pm

katyhills wrote:Looked like a lovely day up there bhk. Great set of pix. The views across to Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich are gorgeous. I'd agree with you - Vane is a beauty, although I also like Vorlich, especially if you go over the end to get the whole ridge. Love the shots of the bonny, bonny banks too :D
Ben Donich is a smashing Corbett so hopefully you'll get a good day to do that one. I walked it recently on a lovely sunny afternoon after work. Knew I didn't have a lot of time, wasn't going to get The Brack as well, but didn't want to waste the good weather. It only took just over two and a half hours and the scrambly bit is really very straightforward. Beinn an Lochain next to it is terrific too.
I really must get round to doing a route report at some point! :roll:

Cheers! Yes, I've done Beinn an Lochain and I agree that it's a grand hill at any time of year. Looking forward to doing Donich and the Brack hopefully sometime over the next year or so. Lots of really great mid-height hills within a couple of hours' drive from Glasgow - I suppose we're extremely lucky really :D ...
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Postby katyhills » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:55 pm

Absolutely - I'm trying to get more Corbetts etc now that the days are shorter and weather a bit iffy - although the summer was nothing to write home about! I'm content with what I've achieved this year with Munros so I'm keen to add a few different ones to my tally. Some Corbetts are better anyway - I think Lochain certainly is. I did Ben Ledi the following day (after Donich) and had another stunning walk in great weather.
You can't beat being out on those lovely autumn days :D
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:51 pm

As you say the views are fabulous for a short day out. Hope your choir was up to speed for the concert! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Silverhill » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:37 pm

An ideal walk if in need of a quick hill fix and great views for such a wee hill. :D Good stuff! I hope your concert went well.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby teaandpies » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:03 pm

It looks like your obstacle course has been chopped up :lol:

teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland