walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Drunk on blue skies and wispy clouds in Drumochter

Drunk on blue skies and wispy clouds in Drumochter

Postby tombombadilio » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:08 am

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 01/11/2015

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 23.3 km

Ascent: 1166m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Greetings, fellow walkers!

Just got a few more unbelievable photos from that tail end of summer we got a week ago that the world needs to know about!

Thanks to dooterbang for his post of 'Snow Whtite, Seven Dwarfs, 4 Munros & 1 Corbett!', on which this is based.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This is what transpired…

0500: Arise from Pitlochry Backpackers Hostel. Pack backpack.

0530: Leave without breakfast as kitchen not open till 0700… :o

0615: Arrive at Balsporran Cottage car park. Empty. Faint glimmer of light. Boot-up. Jet-boil out. Impatiently heat up old rat-pack meal of beans, sausages, chicken - tepid. Substandard coffee made with remaining water. Only LW Radio 4 available. Some test match. Urgh. Prep does not bode well for day ahead.

0700: Depart.

IMG_2041.jpg
Looking west in direction of travel. Photo don't do it justice.

IMG_2042.jpg
Looking east. Easy to understand why people used to worship the Sun...

IMG_2044.jpg
0805: Reach first cairns before plateau to Geal-charn. Why does anyone lie in on a Sunday?!

IMG_2045.jpg
0820: Geal-charn summit iffy panorama.

IMG_2046.jpg
Ben Alder range and Loch Ericht. Waowzer. Last time I saw Ben Alder, claggy as heck and my boots fell apart. Nice to meet again under better circumstances.

IMG_2047.jpg
Forgot to mention the wind, which I blame for this. Kept the clouds away though.

IMG_2050.jpg
0950: A' Mharconaich

IMG_2051.jpg
1045: Beinn Udlamain. Blue skies, my weakness.

IMG_2052.jpg
Got Ben Alder envy at this time - 'why did I choose the 'boring' Drumochter 4 to walk today?!?', I shamefully think in a moment of weakness… I took that back later on.

IMG_2055.jpg
A bunch of brown? Or a herd of deer crossing before me on the way across to Sgairneach Mhor?

IMG_2056.jpg
1203: Sgairneach Mhor, looking S and SE to the only cloud in the area that seems to be magnetised to this one hill.

IMG_2058.jpg
My exit. There seemed to be several moon buggy type-things driving about on this side of the hill (of which I got no photos). I hope they were working people and not just city folk who can't be ar*ed walking up a hill. Any ideas?

Think I got back to the car for 1415, after that lovely walk along the cycle path by the A9, wasn't being too precious about timings though. Spent so much time at the summits getting drunk on blue skies and wispy clouds - who needs alcohol!
tombombadilio
Walker

Munros:258   Corbetts:19
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Islands:17

Re: Drunk on blue skies and wispy clouds in Drumochter

Postby Silverhill » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:28 pm

An easy circuit with great views towards Ben Alder. You did pick good days for your walks! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Drunk on blue skies and wispy clouds in Drumochter

Postby tombombadilio » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:38 pm

Silverhill wrote:An easy circuit with great views towards Ben Alder. You did pick good days for your walks! :D

Just very jammy, Silverhill :D When I pick a week to drive up I have to commit to it. So envious of those living on the doorstep of these hills that can pick and choose the days to walk. They're very lucky.
tombombadilio
Walker

Munros:258   Corbetts:19
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland