walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Applecross "quickie" before the apocalypse hit

An Applecross "quickie" before the apocalypse hit

Postby PeteR » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Route description: Sgùrr a' Chaorachain, Bealach na Ba

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Chaorachain

Date walked: 08/11/2015

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I thought I’d do walk reports in reverse order from the Walkhighlands Autumn 2015 meet at Torridon. So this is a report of my third walk of the weekend on the Sunday.

Despite both MWIS and the Met Office suggesting a full on wet and windy weekend both Friday and Saturday had provided weather that far surpassed anything we could have hoped for. But all good things, just like an excellent WH meet, must come to an end and the forecast for Sunday was what I would describe as a “coffee shop” forecast………best find a coffee shop and give the hills a miss :lol:

But then again…………….there was a little chink in the impending apocalypse that was forecast to be headed our way Sunday. Just enough time for a quickie I thought. This seemed to be confirmed to us in Room 1 as Fife Flyer pulled back the curtains to reveal blue skies first thing.

My hill of choice for a pre apocalyptic quickie was the Applecross Corbett Sgurr a' Chaorachain from the high starting point of the Bealach na Ba…………………much to the amusement of Sunny Speyside who seemed to think I was cheating and not living up to my “purist” roots by starting just a few hundred meters in height from the summit :lol:

It was a pleasant drive down from Torridon to Applecross, taking in the autumnal colours.
ImageP1240139 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
A wistful look back to a couple of Torridon giants

Turning off to tackle the Bealach na Ba and the breeze was certainly picking up and the cloud thickening. I was still hopeful though that I would been the four Horsemen and be back at the car before the worst hit. Driving the single track road alongside Coire na Ba and the view of my target on the right and Meall Gorm/Creag a’Chumhaing on the left was as awe-inspiring as ever. As for the hairpins……….worth a short diversion any day of the week 8)
ImageP1240145 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

Soon I was parked up at the high point of the pass at the viewpoint. The rather ugly looking radio mast does perhaps spoil the view and take a little away from the sense of isolation you might be looking for, but nevertheless I find this one of the bleakest landscapes I’ve ever experienced………but in a very good way though.
ImageP1240146 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Not the best view, what with the radio mast

ImageP1240147 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
An early view toward Beinn Bhan

Booting up and I was constantly getting bumped on the head as the wind forced the hatch of my car down……….that breeze was certainly picking up. Was feeling like a proper wind by now.

Given this was a 2 to 2.30 hour walk I would be dispensing with the encumbrance of a rucksack and simply take a couple of snacks, half a litre of fluids and my hat n gloves with me (oh, and my Gortex lined windproof/water(ish) proof jacket of course).

The first stage of the walk up the landrover track up to the mast is, well, a walk up a landrover track to a mast. Not the most exciting approach to be fair, but views back toward Skye on a clear day would have been great for sure. Cloud and “weather” hampered my views somewhat, but I wasn’t feeling too disappointed.
ImageP1240149 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

There were still views to be had across to Beinn Bhan and the Glen Carron hills as I arrived at the 773 point and started to make my way around the rim of Coire a’Chaorachain. View of the route ahead was pretty impressive too, making this feel like a proper hill despite the ridiculously high start.
ImageP1240151 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
A panoramic shot of Beinn Bhan

ImageP1240155 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

From the radio mast there is something of a boggy track which I assume you could follow if you wanted. I didn’t and instead decided to wander over the damp slippery rocks and boggy heathery ground in the direction of the hill. Eventually I came across a developing path just below point 730, which soon became a proper path which led me easily to the summit.
ImageP1240157 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
A sneaky view of my target, with a few more following as the route opened up

ImageP1240158 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1240159 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1240165 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1240166 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
A Chioch

Ordinarily this would be a walk in the park. Descending off both points 730 and 720 I was caught out by the strength of the wind as it funnelled up the side of the hill. At this stage it wasn’t enough to knock me over (that would come soon enough) but I still had to be careful in places. In places on the high saddles between the high points the wind was doing its best to push me left and I tried to move forward.
ImageP1240172 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
A quick look back after the first little nobbly climb

The descent off the west summit was a little gem in the strong winds. In descent I was dropping down an initially steep drop down face into the wind on what in retrospect looked like an abandoned rock pile. I definitely took that short section with care as the wind gave me a bit of a battering. Bizarrely though the saddle that followed was remarkably calm by comparison.
ImageP1240173 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The route ahead to the summit (hidden at the back)

ImageP1240176 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
A Chioch again - a mighty impressive ridge (to look at, that is)

ImageP1240179 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Loch Kishorn

ImageP1240181 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1240182 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The rock pile

ImageP1240187 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Kishorn

As was the final climb to the summit cairn. I had expected to get blown into the Atlantic on the top, but while there was a bit of a breeze it was never too strong and I was merrily wandering over the summit taking in the views across to Beinn Bhan, the dramatic A Chioch ridge, Torridon, Glen Carron and up and down the length of Loch Kishorn.

ImageP1240196 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Summit cairn

ImageP1240199 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1240200 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1240201 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1240203 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Ah, the summit views :D :lol:

I could see the four horsemen approaching though, but was still in something of an ambling mood as I turned round after 10 minutes or so on the summit and started my short trek back to my car.

ImageP1240204 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
I think the rain might be a-coming

But it was soon apparent the wind was picking up speed quite significantly now. Those benign saddles were suddenly more windswept. The climb back up the rock pile was an amusing struggle to retain some semblance of dignity as I was getting battered and blown about. The two earlier sections where I had been battered on the way to the summit were yet more windy still. At one point as I stopped to d*** about with my GPS a gust of wind hit me hard and sent me flat on my backside against the hillside :shock:

Once passed point 730 it was then a simple walk back to the radio mast, although by this point the spots of rain had become more persistent and were persisting even my by the time I reached the mast. The wind through the radio mast was fair roaring by the time I arrived back at its hill high point. Thankfully the hillside eventually gave me respite from the wind as I dropped down the opposite side and hit the track back to the car.

ImageP1240215 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1240218 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

Close to the end of track I spied some brave souls heading up the hill………..just as the weather turned. It turned out to be Rodmeister, Gill C, Tomsie, Kaiserstein, Mountain Thyme and Joey who were the brave souls pitting themselves against the apocalypse that was now raging :shock: :shock: Total respect for them just getting out of the car and kitting up, let alone putting themselves from just over two hours of that weather. I was quite glad to reach the safety of my car and commence the long, windswept and partially floody drive home.

ImageP1240221 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Where did that radio mast go?

ImageP1240223 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Looking down the Bealach na Ba

Another superb WH Meet, with thanks to Gill C and Tomsie for both their superb choice of venue and skills in organising another successful event :clap:
Last edited by PeteR on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: An Applecross "quickie" before the apocalypse hit

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:54 pm

Nice one Pete, just goes to show timing is everything, glad you posted some views, as we never saw any :lol: Must get out of bed early next time. You should have seen me trying to get in the car, I couldn't get the car door open due to power of the wind :crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby basscadet » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:15 pm

Aye, we were thinking of ahbody when we passed - looked really grim! Glad you got up and back safe :D

Oh and thats the Chioch nose ridge you were seeing, a Chioch is further over.. Would love to climb it but I think its a Vdiff or grade 5 or something :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Silverhill » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:02 pm

Well done for heading out before the apocalypse! Very impressive corries this hill has. 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby emily_b » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:01 am

Interesting report :) Drove over the road long ago, before I began donning the walking boots, so looking forward to exploring these hills in the future!
emily_b

Munros:111   Corbetts:9
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:44 pm

Well, you got to taste the typical weather on SaC but at least you got some views, Pete. It's a great hill which I've done so many times and it's always different (aren't they all). You'll definitely have to come back on a spring or summer day when it's at it's best.

Really enjoyed your report - seems like you had a great weekend.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Sunny Speyside » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:20 pm

Aw Pete I would have put money on you just sneaking on the blue balloon without advertising your route in a walk report...your purist routes have been upheld by your honesty :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

Postby Tomsie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Timing was everything, just like the horns. Some fantastic views, ill sneak back again although in better conditions. :D
Nice to get a walk in with you Pete and hopefully I'll make the next WH meet. :clap: :D
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland