walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Magnificent MCD - day 3 of the WH Meet

Magnificent MCD - day 3 of the WH Meet

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: Maol Chean-dearg

Date walked: 07/11/2015

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1100m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We are now onto day 3 of the WH meet and the forecast was far better than earlier in the week, so after many discussions on Friday evening a group of us (Graeme, Darren, David, Karen & Evie) opted to tackle Maol Chean-dearg.
The plan was to leave by 8am at the latest, over breakfast the plan of attack changed and we opted to save the planet by walking from the Youth Hostel, unfortunately Evie elected to drive the 40 or so miles and take the route from the south.
Just before 8am the five intrepid explorers and Darren's dog Charlie left the YH and headed along the road for just over a mile into the hamlet of Annat, just by the telephone box there is a sign post indicating the path to Coulags.
On leaving the road the path winds it's way gradually uphill, after the overnight rain there were quite a few puddles to negotiate.

Image Looking back across to the Youth Hostel

Image The group

Image Loch Torridon

Image Looking north

Image Waiting for Graeme

The path winds it's way through the glen with a couple of river crossings thrown in to make the walk a bit more interesting :lol: Here a few "action" shots 8)

We followed the path round the base of MCD and up to the bealach. As the path nears the bealach it steepens, on reaching the bealach the views really open up and the path from the south that Evie took can be seen like a motorway :lol:

Image Looking back

Image Plodding uphill

Image The impressive An Ruadh-Stac

Image Looking south

From the bealach it was time for the final push uphill, the going was getting tougher now. A kind of path wound it's way up, loose scree then boulders, the degree of ascent eased quite a bit. A slight descent before the eventual push up to the summit. The cairn could just bee seen through the clag.

Image Path can just about be seen

Image Still going up

Image Into the clag

Image Not quite an inversion

Image Summit selfie on the 10 sec timer

Image Almost got views

Image Clag lifted just as we started descending

Image Above shot zoomed

Image Descending

On the way down Darren and Graeme had decided to take in the amazing looking Corbett An Ruadh-Stac, I was swithering and it was the descent across the large slabs that concerned me so I opted to accompany Karen and David on the long walk back :wink:

Image Darren and Graeme romping downhill

Image Karen descending with David tagging along behind

Image Great views on the descent

Image Karen and David are there somewhere!

Image Meall nan Ceapairean

Image The slabs of An Ruadh-Stac zoomed

The next few shots are of Graeme and Darren marching across the slabs of An Ruadh-Stac all zoomed 8)

Image The long walk back begins

Image A few rays of sunlight

Image Obstacle time again, in reverse

Image Interesting reeds or weeds?

The walk back was quite pleasant, we knew we would probably run out of daylight hours, however we just about timed it to perfection :lol: The light was just fading as we reached the road and the walk along the road seemed to take a bit longer than the walk in :lol:
After 9 enjoyable hours we arrived back at the hostel and it was properly dark, we were met by Anne (Darren's boss) :lol: :lol: She looked a bit concerned as we were 2 short and Darren was one of them, so we quickly put her mind at ease :wink: Darren and Graeme arrived back about an hour after us and really must have made rapid time along the path. Hats off to both of you for taking in the Corbett in the limited hours of light :clap:
To sum up - another cracking day out in great company and I also managed to clock up 1000km for the year so far 8)
Yet another fabulous successful Walk Highlands Meet, awesome location, area and hostel, huge thanks to Gill and John for all the hard work in organising such a memorable weekend :clap: :clap:
John failed on the weather front for Sunday, the forecast can be summed up in one word, awful :( I decided that 5 Munro's over the weekend was far more than I expected, so I opted to head down the road and give the hills a miss :(
Next depends on the what the weather throws at us, my 'new' Munro options are very limited mainly due to the lack of daylight hours :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Magnificent MCD - day 3 of the WH Meet

Postby J888ohn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:04 pm

Great pics and informative report. I had opted against MCD when I stayed in Torridon because I couldn't be bothered with the drive round to the traditional route. Didn't even know this was an option. Thanks for educating me :D
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Magnificent MCD - day 3 of the WH Meet

Postby Graeme D » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:28 pm

A great account of a brilliant day Martin! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Should have my report live very soon!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland