walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhan Revisited

Beinn Bhan Revisited

Postby AnnieMacD » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:43 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhan, near Kishorn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhan

Date walked: 25/07/2015

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 999m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2015-07-25 Beinn Bhan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This walk was done in late July but I'm just getting to writing the report now! I'll annotate the photos as I've forgotten all the minutia of the day. I do remember that I sat in the car for almost half an hour for the rain to stop as it was pouring down.

However, as I walked along the path the weather improved and by the time I got near the corries some blue sky was showing.

Lochan Coire na Poite with its lovely beach. A'Choich is on the left and A'Phoit (the Pot) is on the right. I once ate my lunch on top of the pot - great viewpoint!
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-4 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Coire an Fhamair next to A'Phoit is the tourist way up (my route). The headwall is quite steep but no difficulties at all.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-5 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

I had my first lunch at the base of the headwall with the steepest bit yet to come. You can see the route up on the left around the stones.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-6 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Taking a breather about two-thirds of the way up. The weather is improving and the views opening up.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-7 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Quite suddenly you hit the ridge - it's a bit like a parapet! The rock where I had my lunch is a tiny dot just below the centre of the photo. The rock-wall top right is quite famous in the rock-climbing world.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-8 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Now heading round the rim of the corries - you can see the ascent route as the diagonal line from bottom-centre towards top left. If you need more water you have to head to the lochan as there is no more to be had on the summit plateau.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-9 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Since my last visit a few months ago, there must have been a lightning strike as there is quite a bit rock missing. At very bottom-left of the photo you can see a scree run which I used for my previous ascent - it got so steep I was hanging on by my fingernails - not recommended although I think the deer use it.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-10 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Arguably the most beautiful corrie in Scotland. Coire na Poite from above.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-12 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

The top of A'Choich where you can see two tiny figures just right of the highest point.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-14 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

The summit. It looks a bit boring from this angle but the views at 180 degrees are down to Coire na Poite.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-15 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Looking west from the summit are the islands (Skye Cuillin in the distance) and Sgurr a'Chaorachain on the left.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-16 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Liathach and Beinn Eighe with the west end of Beinn Damh in front. An Staonach is in front of BD.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-17 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

An Ruadh-mheallan, Basobheinn, Beinn Alligin and Beinn Dearg (L-R) from the top of Beinn Bhan.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-18 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Another view of Coire na Poite. The little lochans are like jewels! One can ascend to the top of the pot up the wee gully just right of centre of the photo - it comes up to the notch. This part of the ridge is really narrow so if you do it choose a day when there's not too much wind. However, the pot itself has a lovely, spacious summit area.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-19 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Two guys coming off A'Choich.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-21 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

The ridge down off Beinn Bhan is long with lots of indentations and corries along the way. You get the best views if you keep to the rim. I stopped for lunch and saw these two tiny figures scrambling up the last wall up from A'Chioch.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-23 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Zoomed in.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-24 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

While I was munching on my oatcakes (what else to eat on the Scottish hills?) the two guys who I had met earlier came down off the summit. They had come up on the sleeper from London the night before.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-26 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Once past the corries on the descent there is a bit of a trudge down tussocky, wet slabby (read slippery) mixture of terraces down to the road. This seemed to take an age but it was a lovely evening so I just took my time. Great views of Loch Kishorn on the way down.
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-28 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

By the time I got to the road the other couple had almost caught up with me so I waited for them only to find it was Basscadet and LeithySuburbs! What a nice surprise meeting stars of WalkHighlands. We had a wee chat and I took a photo. They were camping up in Coire na Ba and had another scrambling adventure the following day. Nice to meet you guys!
ImageBeinn Bhan 2015-07-25-25 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

An amazing day out on Beinn Bhan. I have another BB report to write where, on a very stormy day in August, I went up to the northerly 710m top from the Applecross side.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Beinn Bhan Revisited

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:09 pm

That looks a beautiful Coire indeed, Annie.
It's on my list now, thanks for sharing.
Jonathan W
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:04 pm

Beautifully captured, the Corries and cliffs of Beinn Bhan are truly some of the most impressive in the whole of Scotland.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:00 am

Now that looks like a fine day on a wonderful hill, another to add to my long list of must dooooos :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby gman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:07 am

Great report, I've seen pics of the A'Cioch winter traverse where it looks like an easyish ridge heading towards a vertical cliff so it's good to see a (slightly) less intimidating angle.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:40 pm

fantastic! still to do this one from this route, looks amazing :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Graeme D » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Very nice! Even Dougie and Seana scrub up quite well! Certainly a better day than some Walkhighlanders had on the Applecross peninsula at the recent meet!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Strathlassie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:23 pm

I've just been reading your walk report as we're hoping to go up this hill tomorrow and I know the guy in the right on your photo who had come up on the sleeper. What a small world we live in!!
Strathlassie
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:116
Fionas:108   Donalds:8

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland