walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

She'll be Coming Round the Mountain....

She'll be Coming Round the Mountain....

Postby AnnieMacD » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:45 pm

Route description: Circuit of Maol Chean-dearg

Date walked: 14/03/2015

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 20.6 km

Ascent: 871m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2015-03-14 Maol Chean-dearg circular.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was my second big walk of the year but the first outside Applecross so decided to stay pretty close to home. I have seen Loch na Eoin many times from all the surrounding hills and determined to walk to it this winter while there was still snow on the high tops. I would have liked to walk through from Coulags to Annat via the south side of Maol Chean-dearg but as I had no guarantee of a lift back to Coulags I decided not to take the risk. It's a long way from Annat to Coulags by road!

I started off early in the hope of getting a stunning sunrise but there was none so I set off at about 7:10 am. However, I met Ewen MacKinnon feeding his sheep so had a good chat to him. I'm not really one for low-level walks if there are hills around so I decided to go up Meall nan Ceapairean just to get some good exercise and I do have to get hill-fit again. I went off-path up behind the bothy and gained the bealach with no difficulty. However, the wind was freezing so I headed straight for the summit where I tried to get out of the wind to have breakfast. I sat for ages taking in the amazing bulk of Maol Chean-dearg and watch a few ants (people) down below making their way up the path.

Turns out one group, which I met at the next bealach (between MCD and Meall nan Ceapairean), was none other than Mountainboy and Hamish plus two adults! We had a good chat and took some photos and they headed off up the steep scree while most of my hard work was already done and I headed down-hill towards Loch an Ruadh-stac. An Ruadh Stac looked magnificent but still with quite a bit of snow on the north side.

21/11/2015. Well, that's all I wrote at the time. Now, I can't remember much detail so I'll just post my photos of the day.

From up the sides of Meall nan Ceapairean with the bothy down below and Fuar Tholl in the background.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

I was on an airy perch looking down to the path and the bulk of Maol Chean-dearg. Beinn Damh is on the left at rear.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-2 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

The bealach with MCD and An Ruadh Stac on the left.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-3 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

An Ruadh Stac in all its glory. There are lovely little lochans all around.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-4 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Maol Chean-dearg.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-5 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

An Ruadh Stac and more lovely little lochans. It was a perfect if cold day.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-6 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

An Ruadh Stac - the perfect Corbett!
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-7 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

At the bealach I saw three people and a dog having fun crossing a snow-bank on the path. I waited to say Hello and it turned out it was Mountainboy (from this site) and his dog Hamish. They had two adults tagging along. Hi Mountainboy!
ImageMountainBoy and Hamish by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

MB and Hamish headed off up MCD but I was heading downhill on the path between MCD and ARS. Circling the mountain you get great views of the south end of Beinn Damh.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-8 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

... and further round, Liathach.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-9 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Then all of a sudden Loch an Eoin comes into view. It was such a calm, clear day I could hear MB and Co. up on the summit!
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-10 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Beautiful beaches but no wildlife at all. I didn't see a bird or a deer all day. Fuar Tholl is seen through the gap of Bealach na Lice.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-13 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

I sat here for ages eating lunch and taking photos. I had a little tripod with me.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-15 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Moving around the loch (and MCD) I took the right-hand fork to go back to Coulags - although I think Annat was closer.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-16 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Close-up of the islands in the loch. Fuar Tholl and the buttresses are quite close.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-17 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Whenever I hit the Bealach na Lice, Sgorr Ruadh comes into view.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-18 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Back down at Loch Coire Fionnaraich. with Fuar Tholl behind.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-19 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Fionn-abhainn just by the bothy with the evening sun reflecting from the sides of Fuar Tholl.
ImageMaol Chean-dearg Circular-20 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

A fantastic day out for my first proper walk of the year.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: She'll be Coming Round the Mountain....

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:45 pm

Superb photos :clap: :clap: That Hamish and his humans gets about :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:19 pm

superb photos - looked like a great day

did MCD from Torridon many moons go - but have been thinking of return for a camp - maybe after the surgery is done and knee is fixed :)

ATB

M
wilkiemurray

Postby Silverhill » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:20 pm

Stunning pictures Annie! :D This is such a lovely area for walking and I look forward exploring it next summer, hopefully with a wild camp if the weather is half decent.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:25 pm

Your photos give me the wanderlust again.

Some time ago, in a job interview, a man in a suit asked me where I saw myself in 10 years time. "In a cave eating moss" was my reply. Are there any mossy caves around this area?
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:06 pm

What a fabulous walk! MCD from Annat was my first hill walk after moving north and I've been meaning to go back and go in from the Coulags side to climb that wonderful Corbett with all the lochans round. Must look out for for a good day like you got! 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:53 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Superb photos :clap: :clap: That Hamish and his humans gets about :lol:

Thanks! I find it funny trying to write walk reports 8 months after the event.

I love meeting WH people on the hills and I kept calling Hamish "Everest" as Mountainboy shouted "Everest!" when he saw An Ruadh-Stac right in front of him. I thought he was calling the dog back. :lol: :lol:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:57 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:superb photos - looked like a great day

did MCD from Torridon many moons go - but have been thinking of return for a camp - maybe after the surgery is done and knee is fixed :)

ATB

M

Oooh, sorry you have to have surgery. I hope you won't be off the hills for too long.

I think a great spot to camp would be down by the lovely lochans - it would be very sheltered. But just remembered you like to get the sunrises and sunsets from the summits. Plenty spots up there too.

Good luck with your recovery.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:59 pm

Silverhill wrote:Stunning pictures Annie! :D This is such a lovely area for walking and I look forward exploring it next summer, hopefully with a wild camp if the weather is half decent.

I so hope you get good weather then. You have to get paid back for putting up with the atrocious weather this year! It's a gorgeous area indeed.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:01 pm

BobMcBob wrote:Your photos give me the wanderlust again.

Some time ago, in a job interview, a man in a suit asked me where I saw myself in 10 years time. "In a cave eating moss" was my reply. Are there any mossy caves around this area?

I'm sure there that are any caves, at least I never found one. Plenty fresh water and moss though!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:04 pm

dogplodder wrote:What a fabulous walk! MCD from Annat was my first hill walk after moving north and I've been meaning to go back and go in from the Coulags side to climb that wonderful Corbett with all the lochans round. Must look out for for a good day like you got! 8)

An Ruadh-Stac on a glorious day has to be a classic Torridon walk. Be sure to choose a day when the haze is minimal. I'm pretty sure I've done a walk report on it if you want to check it out!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:49 pm

Stunning photos of an amazing area - brings back the memories of a superb day there just a few short weeks ago. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby basscadet » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:14 pm

What a nice route - mind you, everything is nice round there. :D

Serious lack of camp spots though SH. We have been thwarted quite a few times, and is probably the reason why we dont go there as often as the hill quality would make us want to :lol:
Best at the bothy :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:18 am

BobMcBob wrote:Some time ago, in a job interview, a man in a suit asked me where I saw myself in 10 years time. "In a cave eating moss" was my reply. Are there any mossy caves around this area?

Did you get the job? :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:20 am

The usual brilliant pics of a very photogenic area - definitely gives me the "head for the hills" itch!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland