walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hooley and the Corbett in Glencoe

Hooley and the Corbett in Glencoe

Postby baggervance » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:40 pm

Route description: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh and Meall Lighiche

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Lighiche

Date walked: 23/11/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18.43 km

Ascent: 1372m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I hadn't been out on the hills for 5 weeks and was concerned about the drop in hill fitness. So I thought I would pick a shortish Munro walk and noticed there was a Corbett alongside. God I didn't realise they were so steep and unrelenting :shock:

I met a fellow walker (Brian ~ hope I remembered your name because my brain was overheating at the end :lol: ). We were both heading in the same direction but Brian was only doing the Munro. I really enjoyed the company and chat about rock climbing all the way up to the point we split to go our separate ways.

The weather on Sunday was amazing and Scotland's mountains were displaying themselves at their best with a decent amount of snow above approx. 2,000 ft. I didn't bother with ice axe and crampons as I expected it to be pretty soft going. It was apart from the North facing aspect on Hooley. No real issues coming down that side

The Corbett was steep but the reward you get just before branching away to walk to the summit is amazing. Sgor na h-Ulaidh looks impenetrable from this angle ~ you really think 'how am I getting up that'. In reality you can but boy it was tough in those conditions :shock: 8)

I tried my best to catch up with Brian coming round the loop to re-join the outward route but I didn't have the gas. That's what 5 weeks off does to you

BV
Attachments

Sgor na h-Ulaidh actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_1140.JPG
Sgor na h-Ulaidh looking tough in the background (and she is)
Last edited by baggervance on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Re: Hooley and the Corbett in Glencoe

Postby DerekJ » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi,

Glad you made it round, I found the going up to Stob an Fhuarain really tough, still oddly enough the last steep climb up to the summit of Sgor n h-Ulaidh was not quite so bad, probably as I'd got the microspikes out and wasn't slipping all over the place. By the time I got down I was kicking my-self for parking in the wrong car park.

Anyway the offer of doing Agags groove still stands, I suspect it'll not trouble you.

All the best

Derek Jamieson
DerekJ
Stravaiging

Re: Hooley and the Corbett in Glencoe

Postby baggervance » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Derek, I sent over a PM regarding a climb - let me know if you got it
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland