walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Red Letter Day on the Red Cuillin

Red Letter Day on the Red Cuillin

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:16 pm

Route description: Glamaig and the northern Red Hills circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dearg Mhór (Sligachan)

Date walked: 21/03/2015

Time taken: 9.45 hours

Distance: 13.2 km

Ascent: 1085m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2015-03-21 Beinn Dearg Mhor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Catching up on my old reports so, again, not much detail, just a photographic record of my walk. It was a day of weather phenomena though and the sun shone in the end.

I started off from Sligachan and shortly after a German guy carring a ton of photographic equipment caught up with me. We started chatting and before I knew it I was way past my turn-off! To head for Beinn Dearg Mhor (BDM) via Druim na Ruaige you go through this gate - which is not marked on the map.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

It was VERY boggy further down but the going improved as I gained height. For those who don't know what this famous (or infamous) establishement is, it's the Sligachan Hotel!
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-2 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

My planned descent was from Bealach na Sgairde between BDM and Glamaig which you can see here. I was pleased to see some deer tracks that looked very straight-forward.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-3 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

I then headed into the mist and after the cairn at the 429m point was immediately confronted with a fog bow.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-4 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

On reaching the cairn at the top of the ridge (Druim na Ruaige) I took a right and went the few metres to the summit of Beinn Dearg Mheadhonach. I couldn't see a thing!
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-5 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

By the time I headed back towards the Beinn Dearg ridge the mist started to lift and I got a great view of Loch Ainort and Scalpay.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-6 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

I was overtaken by a young man (Ken) who was a paramedic and had just moved to Portree. He had also joined the Skye Mountain Rescue Team so was in training! He went off like a mountain goat while plodded along as is my wont.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-7 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Descending to Bealach Mosgaraidh, the main Cuillin ridge comes into view. Here you see Gillean, Knight's Peak, Am Basteir and Bruach na Frithe.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-8 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Spot Ken! There is quite a drop and re-ascent (over 200m) between Mheadhonach and Mhor. Glamaig is in the background.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-9 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Views are really opening up now. You can see the Skye Bridge, Kintail and Torridon hills
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-10 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Whoo hoo, beautiful Bla Bheinn. Druim Eadar Da Choire, and Garbh-bheinn.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-12 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

On the summit and Glamaig has now cleared. Here you can see Glamaig's lovely ridge which you totally miss if ascending from Sligachan - much better, in my opinion, is the ascent via An Coileach.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-13 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Across the Inner Sound to Applecross. I got a great view of my house from here, and so I should as this hill is quite prominent from Applecross.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-14 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Looking across Srath Mor- Glas Bheinn Mhor, Beinn na Cro, Beinn Dearg Mhor (Broadford) and Beinn a' Caillich. I've climbed all these hills now - more reports to follow!
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-15 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Heading towards the dreaded scree (DS)! You can also see the DS on the descent from Glamaig. It's a Corbett so the scree goes on for much longer but I think they are equally awful!
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-17 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

The steep slopes of Glamaig and lovely Raasay beyond. Then Applecross beyond that across the Sound.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-18 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Spot the ptarmigan x 2.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-19 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

I kept looking over to the Cuillin ridge as a way of coping with the awful descent (it really didn't go on for long - I'm just being a drama queen!) when I saw this. I believe it's a sun bow. You can see Gillean etc at the bottom of the photo.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-20 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

I just put this in to show that deer and sheep really understand contour lines.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-21 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Down at the bealach now, and looking back to the scree descent. I find scree OK when it's not eroded - you can just go with it. This was very eroded.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-22 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Decisions, decisions, which one will I go for? I think I took the second one up - very easy, and it took me on to the ridge (Teanga Mhor) which had a great path down to the burn. My ridge of ascent was the next ridge along. This is a great circular route.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-23 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

The descent from the bealach was straight-forward and then I joined the deer path.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-24 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Tadpole time!
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-25 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

The good path down the ridge. I had come all the way along the sky-line down to the bealach.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-26 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Last look at Gillean etc. on the ridge.
ImageBeinn Dearg Mhor Sligachan-27 by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

Another amazing day on Skye.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Red Letter Day on the Red Cuillin

Postby Silverhill » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:01 pm

Just wonderful, you had all sorts of weather. It certainly made for great pictures. You do have a fabulous view from your house! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:30 pm

Great report - brings back memories, we did exactly the same route :D

I think the Reds are the underrated gems of Skye.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby basscadet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:09 am

Wow! - You lucky duck 8)

Couldn't spot Ken :(
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:57 am

What magnificent views and I love the fog bow. March was a pretty good month for weather - better than a good chunk of the summer! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby barrygahan » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:15 am

Very helpful report...I too missed that turn at the start...
barrygahan
Walker

Walk wish-list

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland