walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Maidens of Doom

The Maidens of Doom

by basscadet » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:51 am

Route description: Macleod's Maidens

Date walked: 16/11/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.9 km

Ascent: 150m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Maidens of Doom

Postby dav2930 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:06 pm

My goodness BC, what awful bad luck! :( (But good luck too that there was a signal on your phone!) Your experience is a sobering lesson for us all - especially those of us who walk solo. I'm always quite conscious of the possibility of twisting an ankle, which is bad enough, but I honestly didn't realise how easy it is to break one! :shock: Scary. Glad you were so well treated by MR - what a fantastic bunch they are :clap: Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:09 pm

You kept that quiet; could you hear me roaming the moors, sharpening my knife and bone~saw? :shock:

Down Bros all metal amputation set 1910.jpg
Amputation Kit
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:04 pm

oh goodness :shock: :( ....wishing you a speedy recovery
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Silverhill » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:35 pm

Ouch, that sounds extremely painful. How you managed to stay calm after seeing your foot turned 180 degrees…. You are a tough lass. I’m so glad there was just about enough signal to call for help! The MRT really do an amazing job. I hope you recovery quickly.
Btw, some very impressive pictures of the wild conditions. What a day to be out! 8)
rockhopper wrote:... often can't get a phone signal either

I registered for the 999 emergency text service a few years ago. More info here:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/walkers-urged-to-register-for-999-text-service/002852/
Not sure with how little signal a text can still be sent, but it’s worth registering I think.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:21 pm

I was thoroughly enjoying your tale of a battle against the elements...

...and then it took a turn for the worse! :shock: Sounds like you kept it together pretty well, and a big cheer for all the folk involved in getting you out, top people. :clap:

All the best for a quick recovery!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mrssanta » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:34 pm

EEEk hard to bear coming a cropper when you were nearly home after all that blowing about.The Maidens looked amazing though, your pictures are smashing.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:43 pm

Aw ****, sorry to hear about this BC, I wish you a speedy recovery lass :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:10 am

It's a horrible thing to happen - I share the sentiments of the others wishing you a good recovery. Will be a real bummer for you not having the hills.

It did get me thinking a lot about personal safety when out, particularly alone. It would have been a possibly much more serious situation for you had there been no mobile signal. I worry about not getting a signal when needed and have been thinking on and off about getting a satellite locator of some sort - well your misadventure spurred me into action and I ordered a PLB - hoping never to have to use it, mind :wink:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Mancunian » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:08 am

Ouch that must have hurt. It is just unimaginable for me to see a part of the body twisted 180 degrees. I'm glad you made it back and hope you get well soon.
All the best from Germany.
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby basscadet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:41 am

dav2930 wrote:My goodness BC, what awful bad luck! :( (But good luck too that there was a signal on your phone!) Your experience is a sobering lesson for us all - especially those of us who walk solo. I'm always quite conscious of the possibility of twisting an ankle, which is bad enough, but I honestly didn't realise how easy it is to break one! :shock: Scary. Glad you were so well treated by MR - what a fantastic bunch they are :clap: Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

I know, I always thought of myself as quite sturdy lass, not easily broken by just stomping along.. I did have 9 kg or so on my back, but still surprising, and I am going to get a DEXA scan to check my bone density etc.. I have definite worries about it.. :?

Caberfeidh wrote:You kept that quiet; could you hear me roaming the moors, sharpening my knife and bone~saw? :shock:

Wondered when you would pipe up :lol: Any wonder I kept it quiet.. :wink:

Silverhill wrote:I registered for the 999 emergency text service a few years ago. More info here:
[url]<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/walkers-urged-to-register-for-999-text-service/002852</span>/[/url]
Not sure with how little signal a text can still be sent, but it’s worth registering I think.

I think if you have enough signal for a text, you would have enough signal for 999.. If you dial 999, it uses any available network, so you have slightly more chance of getting through. The MRT sent me 2 text messages while I was waiting, but I didn't get them until I was in the ambulance. If you dont have any signal at all, both text or 999 call wouldn't get through and as we all know lack of signal is very common. I m ashamed to say that before this I didn't always think of my phone as essential, so didn't even take it 100% of the time :shock:

Thanks again for all the wishes for my speedy recovery - its really overwhelming to have so many folk who care :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby jmarkb » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:08 am

Ouch, nasty! Hope you mend quickly and are out on the hills again soon.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:46 am

Oh no, not a pleasant experience being so cold and on your own - very different from the balmy day I bumped into you in June! Not sure if you saw my write up of that so since you've time on your hands here's the link for it (in which you get an honourable mention). :wink:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56433

Take care of yourself, do the physio exercises, read lots of hill books.... and BE PATIENT - the time will pass. My pal broke her ankle in 3 places in April and she's back walking the hills again. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:33 pm

Oh, BC, I nearly fainted reading that. Were you just sauntering along and do you know now what happened to break your bone in such a severe way?

Many cheers for Skye MRT (did you meet Ken?) and all MRTs for that matter. I wasn't going to mention this but I think it's appropriate here. One of the Torridon MRT lives in Applecross and he's a retired doctor. He knows I always walk alone and basically ordered me to get a PLB (which I now have) and a Blizzard Bag AND ALWAYS carry them. I usually carried an orange emergency bag but he said the blizzard bag could save my life if I was out overnight. They do add a bit of weight but I have to say I feel safer. So glad you got a phone signal and it all turned out OK ( well, as OK as is possible with a broken leg).

BTW, was really enjoying your report until your accident struck. Looks like a great walk for good weather.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Wow Seana what an adventure, you should stick to the high level stuff - much safer :lol: :lol:

Great report and your description should have a health & safety warning :lol:
One thing for sure it will certainly make us all think about what could happen when out on your tod :roll:

PS: What about your van, take it you managed to get it recovered?
All the best with the recovery :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby basscadet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:31 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Oh, BC, I nearly fainted reading that. Were you just sauntering along and do you know now what happened to break your bone in such a severe way?

Many cheers for Skye MRT (did you meet Ken?) and all MRTs for that matter. I wasn't going to mention this but I think it's appropriate here. One of the Torridon MRT lives in Applecross and he's a retired doctor. He knows I always walk alone and basically ordered me to get a PLB (which I now have) and a Blizzard Bag AND ALWAYS carry them. I usually carried an orange emergency bag but he said the blizzard bag could save my life if I was out overnight. They do add a bit of weight but I have to say I feel safer. So glad you got a phone signal and it all turned out OK ( well, as OK as is possible with a broken leg).

BTW, was really enjoying your report until your accident struck. Looks like a great walk for good weather.

I think there might of been a ken, but I mostly remember a guy called nail.. I feel awful I cant remember all of their names and faces - seems so disrespectful, but I wasn't really 100% compos mentis!

Good advice about the kit - I like having everything I need with me so I can pitch the tent any time I fancy, but I am probably ill equipped on day walks. It was lucky I had intended to stay out, or I would of been really cold by the time they came, despite what I would of said was ample clothing with me.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland