walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Maidens of Doom

The Maidens of Doom

Postby basscadet » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:51 am

Route description: Macleod's Maidens

Date walked: 16/11/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.9 km

Ascent: 150m

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a week off work, I thought I might go up to Skye and do a couple of low level routes that had been lurking on the bucket list for a little too long. Weather forecast wasn't completely minging, but there were definitely going to be some damp moments!
So on Sunday I went up to my folks and borrowed the van – quite nice accommodation for one and set off on the journey. In Easter Ross the weather was fine, but after Dingwall it was horrific, the road to Achnasheen, such a joy usually, was a river, and it was like having buckets of water continually being chucked over the car. :shock: No point crawling to Skye in that! So I pulled into the forest car park at Craig where the trees did a lot to shelter me from the storm and spent the night there. The temperature was up and it was cosy :)
The following morning was cloudy but dry – relatively nice, so I completed the journey, driving straight past the Slig and the usual Glen Brittle turn offs arriving in Orbost at about 11AM. There is a car park marked on the map, which didn't really exist, so I parked up in what looked to be a disused building with a large car park and a sign saying that it was funded by the EU. There was plenty of space so I didn't think I would be in the way. The wind had got up and there were a couple of fierce gusts as I got my kit together. :problem:

Maidens16-NOV-15.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I walked down the road, passed the farm before I realised I had forgotten to bring any lunch supplies, so I dumped my pack and ran back to the car. :roll: The track followed the coast round, some nice views out to cliffs round the bay. Showers seemed to pass offshore without actually coming in my direction. It was shaping up to be a beautiful day :thumbup:

The track started climbing through the woods and it seemed criminal for ocean views be taken away, but it only made the vistas more impressive when you did get a glimpse.

The track ended at a sheep fold and the path seemed quite good really. A bit damp, but after that rain last night that wasn't surprising. A bit of up and down but all the hilly bits seemed to be of an easy angle. I stopped for a snack at Brandarsaig bay, the ruins of longhouses and sheep pens long overgrown making a nice seat. I watched huge waves completely engulf quite large islands offshore – it was mesmorising to watch... :crazy:

Rebels wood - not very woody!

The path went through another plantation, and deteriorated into proper bog in a couple of sections, but not as badly as I had expected and progress was good, even if the wind in the face was getting stronger..
The ruins of Idrigill were very interesting indeed, with the usual selection of longhouses and pens, intersected by fainter, and unrelated earlier circular foundations – there had been a settlement here for a very long time indeed.

I noted how grassy and fine the area still was – a haven for bracken in the summer, and a fine spot for pitching a tent. On such a night as this was going to be, a bothy is preferable though, and there was one just a few miles further round the coast.. :D
The path took me over old tattie fields, undulating up and down, the ditches still doing their job of draining the water away.

Then I was round in a glen that really funnelled the wind, I fought to make progress. I thought about how standing at the point and looking down to the maidens was going to be very scary, but also the best time to see them with the full force of the sea battering them.
The ground opened out, and it started raining. Clods of sea foam flew past and my lips were all salty. I was bracing as much as I was walking now, starting to think I wouldn't get to the Maidens, but a glance at the GPS told me that I was very close indeed.

Whether I had the mettle to stand at the top of a cliff in this weather was another story! Sure enough, just 20 yrds from the point, I started getting battered around like a rag doll.. Time to retreat. :?
I could see the main path up to my right and made for it, but it must of taken 20 mins of getting thrown about and crawling to get there, where the wind strangely dropped. :crazy: I paused to regain my senses, and began to think that I could make it out on the point next to the Maidens and see them from there.. Sure enough it wasn't so bad but still a little scary.

They were as impressive as I had imagined but being buffeted about like that killed most of the enjoyment. :roll: I could now see to the stretch of coast round to the bothy. It was a lot higher and the waterfalls there were getting blown right over the peninsula. That hadn't been rain I had encountered a wee while back, that had been the waterfall being blown half a mile or more from its origin! :o

I made it round past the smaller waterfall, bracing and having to drop to all fours more often than making progress. This was just mad, the bothy jut wasn't reachable today. So what next? I could camp in the ruins at Idrigill, or try and make it back to the van and maybe still get up the Tables tomorrow.. It was almost 3.30, so dark in a little over an hour. :shock:
I made a loop to get back to the path, somehow getting on top of a ridge with a rocky steep drop to get back to the path when I encountered a deer fence.

I saw a really good camp spot, sheltered within a ruin at Idrigil, but even though it was almost 4, I was sure I could make the track before dark if I didn't faff around taking photos like I had done on the way.
With decision taken, I got my stomp on, and with the wind behind me I made excellent progress, even stopping for another snack in Brandarsaig. The dusk was coming in as I went over the final crest and caught sight of the track. A fine grassy section, when I felt something go in my ankle and heard a crunch. :o My leg made a really funny movement, which wasnt sore, and I took another step but it just didn't feel right. I looked down to see that my foot was rotated 180 degrees and my toes were pointing behind me. I instinctively pushed it round the right way with my walking pole, but my foot still wouldn't work. :think: It was then that it dawned on me that my ankle was broken. I lifted my leg, and the whole lower section, from above the boot, lurched to the side alarmingly – boy that looked crazy. :shock:
My next thought was phoning mountain rescue. I still could not understand why it wasn't sore. :?
I was delighted to find that I had the thinnest sliver of signal imaginable, and I was surprised when the 999 operator answered instantly and asked what service. Thats when the pain hit, and I screamed police at the poor lassie. Then there was a guy on the line who I rather directly informed, that he had to get the mountain rescue out. The pain was seething now, and I dropped to the ground. He asked me lots of questions which I think managed to answer, but it is all a bit of a blur. I got my map out for a grid reference, losing my map case in the wind in my quest to find the right numbers. Why I didnt get my GPS out of my pocket and simply read the numbers on the screen I will never know. :lol: All too soon the call was over and I was there alone on the windy hillside. A local number tried to phone, but got cut off straight away and the signal never returned...
So in the windy silence I suddenly felt cold. I had a lot of layers on, but I knew I would be here a while, so I got out my sit mat and put on my snuggy belay jacket to wait. I looked at my ankle, it was twisted horribly to the left, but there was nothing I could do about it and it wasn't too uncomfortable if I didnt try to move it. The dusk quickly turned to gloaming and I got out my headtorch – disappointingly low batteries, but my camping lantern was in top form so I could definitely be seen with that. 8) I sat awkwardly, having to use my tummy muscles constantly to stay still, waiting in a pain filled trance. The bit of path I was on, was really quite steep for sitting on so I tried to shimmy down a bit, but quickly realised I was 100% stranded. :( It is a very humbling experience to be out on a dark blustery night completely relying on strangers leaving their fires to come out and help. Every now and then I would come to, shivering uncontrollably, and I would try and find something else in my pack to help, my sleeping bag, waterproof troos - until it was almost empty. I eventually plucked up the courage to lift my bad leg up and put my rucksack underneath my legs – that helped a lot. :) Time passed, and eventually I thought I saw some light and sure enough a couple of minutes later, a landrover came down the track. Less than 2 hours since I phoned – what service! :clap: I was overjoyed to see that, and pretty soon two chaps were with me. They took the boot off my bad leg and confirmed it was definitely broken before putting my leg in a splint. Another vehicle turned up with gas and air and I was humphed unceremoniously down the hill. The gas doesn't kill the pain, just makes your head too crazy for screaming.. :(
Then I was in the back of the landrover being taken back to Orbost where there was supposedly going to be an ambulance, but there was a delay in their arrival. I felt horrible for having made such a fuss but everyone involved was so kind and concerned for me – really special people. :wave:
I was pretty gone by this point and memories are hazy. I got x-rays and the break manipulated that night in Broadford and a further operation involving fixing a 194mm metal plate to my tibia in the hospital here in Edinburgh.. It is broken at the ankle, and above my boot so a real mess which apparently could have been far worse without the excellent prompt treatment I received. The MRT guys said that I had just been unlucky, but I'm feeling like a very lucky girl – I had signal, I will walk again and thats enough for me. :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: The Maidens of Doom

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:18 am

Ouch!!! Very unlucky and very lucky. Very lucky to have a signal. Makes me wonder how I would get on in that situation. Also makes me think about what I would do without a phone signal. :shock: The risks increase so much when your on your own (as I often am) and especially at this time of year when the nights are so long and cold. Well done to all who helped you and all the best with your recovery
PS great pictures of the stacks :D
Sunset tripper

Postby malky_c » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:27 am

I thought I'd seen mention of you having broken your ankle somewhere recently. With no report out, I assumed you had been unlucky and done it on the stairs or something :oops: .

Certainly makes you think about the consequences - I sometimes see MRT reports where the casualty 'only' has a broken ankle, but in the wrong circumstances it could be pretty serious (not to mention painful :sick: )

Hope to see you out and about on the hills again before too long.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby basscadet » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:42 am

Sunset tripper wrote:PS great pictures of the stacks :D

Surprisingly so considering how difficult it was to stay still in that wind :lol:

malky_c wrote:I thought I'd seen mention of you having broken your ankle somewhere recently. With no report out, I assumed you had been unlucky and done it on the stairs or something :oops: .

Certainly makes you think about the consequences - I sometimes see MRT reports where the casualty 'only' has a broken ankle, but in the wrong circumstances it could be pretty serious (not to mention painful :sick: )

Hope to see you out and about on the hills again before too long.

Yes as mountain rescues go, it was pretty tame. I was exactly where I said I was, and only a couple of hundred yards from a track so straightforward for them. To me though, what they did was immense. Saved me a lot of trauma - mental and physical, and I am deeply indebted to them. The consequences of not having a signal are unthinkable :shock:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Jings - that sounded painful but glad it turned out well in the end. Might have been a fairly straightforward rescue by their standards but a huge well done and thanks to all concerned that they're willing to do it to help others. Does make me stop and think from time to time as I tend to go on my own as well - often can't get a phone signal either - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby harry hill » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Ouch, hope you make a speedy and full recovery. Well done to the MRT for their response
basscadet wrote:The consequences of not having a signal are unthinkable :shock:

After a heavy slip when, for a minute or two, I wasn't sure if I could walk out unassisted, I invested in a Spot satellite tracker. Worth the cost imo.
harry hill
Ambler

Munros:236   Corbetts:21
Fionas:28   Donalds:89

Postby Tomsie » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Not a nice situation being stuck out on a hill with a broken bone, let alone in that weather. :clap:

Hope it doesn't keep you off the hills for to long. :)
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby PeteR » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:14 pm

A tale of two halves that's for sure.

The first half looked stunning :clap: Amazing photos given the strength of the wind you were contending with (I'm sure we all know how hard it is to get the shot we want when being battered senseless by the wind).

The second half sounded awful. It is a real sobering reminder though that we don't have to be doing crazy things to suffer these freak events. The times I can recall turning an ankle slightly, slipping on a rock or getting a boot stuck between rocks as I've been out on the hills and coming away with nothing more than damaged pride witnessed only by the odd sheep here and there when I fall or lurch comically.........as you have unfortunately experienced, it could so easily be much worse.

MRT, as with all rescue services do provide an invaluable service to those in need. Here's hoping for as speedy recovery as possible and you get yourself out on the hills as soon as is sensible.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby gman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Ouch, that sounds like a sore one. I've got a similar tale of woe from July this year - scrambling something stupid on the Cobbler, fell but managed to walk out aided by a couple of good Samaritans. Decided to get checked out at A&E the next morning because I was still feeling a bit dodgy: all ribs & collar bone on left side broken, lung collapsed and diaphragm punctured, right humerus and 2 vertebrae fractured :lol: . Good luck with the recovery, Laphroaig is an excellent painkiller :D .
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby londonwalker » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Another epic read Seana. Could have been much worse I guess. Hoping you make a full recovery and are back outdooors soon. Leithy at your beck and call?
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm glad things worked out well, but it could have been so different :crazy: :crazy: Thank God for a signal, but really a timely reminder to us all anything can happen anywhere anytime, especially if walking alone. Makes me think having a walking partner is a right good idea :D Hope you have a speedy recovery and in the meantime enjoy the reports on Wh.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:24 pm

Oh my goodness. What a mishap :? I hope you are feeling better now and fingers (Panther's claws) crossed your leg mends soon!

The Maidens walk is a fantastic route. Looks like Rebel's Wood hasn't grown much since we were there (2012 I think).
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby PerthAlly » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Good grief :(

I had just sat down with a brew and a peanut butter buttie. Can't face them now!

Well done for getting through that ordeal and I hope you make a full recovery soon. Would hate to think how I'd cope in that situation. Not well I suspect :lol:

Take care
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:42 pm

Crikey I didn't see that one coming! It amazes me you managed to stay so calm, all the best with the recovery.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby basscadet » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks for all the kind wishes everyone - keep writing those reports for me to enjoy while I'm laid up :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland