walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Glencoe gem but not enough to make her stay

A Glencoe gem but not enough to make her stay

Postby dogplodder » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:09 am

Route description: Glencoe Lochan trails

Date walked: 20/11/2015

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After five days of continuous rain we got to our last day staying in Glencoe - and for a few hours it actually stopped raining. I wanted to take Pete to Glencoe Lochan which I'd visited in June 2013 - but first we nipped along to the Co-op in Ballachulish to pick up a paper, stopping to photograph the first glimpse of sun we'd seen all week. Looked like things were set to improve (which I later heard they did and Sunday was a glorious day, after we'd gone home).

Loch Leven looking west
DSC_0511-largel.JPG

We parked in the Glencoe Lochan car park and headed for the lochan, passing a pond with water lilies which was partially frozen.

DSC_0514-large.JPG

The dogs trying to decide if it was worth taking a dip
DSC_0515-large.JPG

When the resident ducks saw us they flew over from the other side, obviously used to being fed. When Jack saw his favourite fantasy dinner practically landing on his plate his indecision about whether or not to take a dip was clinched in an instant. He was in there! He's an old dog now and has never been successful in catching a duck, which he has tried to do for the past 11 years. You have to give it to him he doesn't allow past failures to get him down and when the opportunity comes he takes it with as much gusto as he did in his youth. The funniest thing to see is when he gets too close and the duck takes to the air, the way Jack tries to raise himself out of the water and fly after it!

The eternal optimist
DSC_0516-large.JPG

These ducks didn't seem bothered by him at all, letting him get quite close before flapping off and landing just out of reach, as if they were teasing him. If he'd been with me on my previous visit here in June 2013 I would have put him on the lead as there were ducklings on the path.

Ducklings
DSC_0092-large.jpg

Since I have photos from both visits I'll use some from each to compare the beauty of the different seasons.

The lochan in June
DSC_0099-large.jpg

DSC_0101-large.jpg

Same view in November
DSC_0522-large.JPG

Beinn a Bheithir beyond the lochan
DSC_0519-large.JPG

When we reached the far end a lone duck flew the length of the lochan and plonked himself down in a tantalising way. You could see the old dog watching and sizing up his chances and I said to a passing local that it's almost as if he feels obliged to give it a go even when the odds are stacked against him. His comment was "It's his job isn't it" and I suppose there's some truth in that. The basic instinct to retrieve a duck is there - even though he hasn't been trained to the gun.

Come and get me if you can!
DSC_0525-largel.JPG

Looking west in June
DSC_0109-large.jpg

Same view in November
DSC_0528-largel.JPG

My friend's son in law manages the forestry in Lochaber (and in the course of his work has even been spotted on TV up a tree with Bear Grylls!) and this is part of his patch, so it was interesting for us to be here. Much of this woodland was originally created by Lord Strathcona in the 1890s - a landscape planted with North American trees in the hope it would comfort his homesick Canadian wife and help her to settle here. But this exquisite woodland around a pretty lochan with a backdrop of pointed mountains wasn't enough and the couple later emigrated to Canada.

The rhododendron - not a native species and it has rampantly colonised the west coast
DSC_0110-large.jpg

Pap of Glencoe in June
DSC_0130-large.jpg

Pap of Glencoe in November
DSC_0533-largel.JPG

Lochan in the fresh green of June
DSC_0122-large.jpg

DSC_0119-large.jpg

DSC_0131-large.jpg

DSC_0124-large.jpg

Lochan in russet hues of November
DSC_0531-largel.JPG

After leaving the lochan we drove east to pay our respects to Buachaille Etive Mor
DSC_0538-largel.JPG

DSC_0542-largel.JPG

Glen Coe
DSC_0540-largel.JPG

Glen Etive
DSC_0544-largel.JPG

Two of the Glencoe Sisters
DSC_0551-large.JPG

All in all a stunningly beautiful glen which with a hint of Macdonald blood will always be special to me.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: A Glencoe gem but not enough to make her stay

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:07 am

What a great idea to combine the photos. Much as I like the autumn colours, I have to say, spring is my favourite season and thus I prefer those photos.

Too bad about your washed-out holiday. I have a long weekend this weekend and it's forecast to rain every day. I had a great trip to Kilillan planned but it's not to be. :(
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Tomsie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:23 am

Took a walk up here or a cycle (cant remember which now ) while staying at Red Squirrel, nice area.
Be good to see it in winter.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby tweedledog » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:52 am

Ah, the extraordinary determination of elderly dogs. He evidently continues to enjoy it. The whippet is similarly disposed to the rabbits in my garden, though no longer fast enough to catch them. I think they are taking the mickey, waiting until the last minute to run. But he keeps trying. Einstein's definition of madness applies: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. :)
The lochan is looking as lovely as ever. Must take a trip up there if and when we get a good day.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:33 pm

Lovely - well done Jack :clap: - one day ehh? :lol:

Glad to see you found some good weather last week. Great seeing the spring and autumn photos. We are long overdue a trip to the west, perhaps next year??
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Silverhill » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:35 pm

Ah Jack, bless him. He clearly is still young at heart. :D
Really lovely pictures of the lochan!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:35 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:What a great idea to combine the photos. Much as I like the autumn colours, I have to say, spring is my favourite season and thus I prefer those photos.

I love spring too but looking at the photos I'm hard pressed to say which I prefer. 8)
dogplodder

Postby Hillbeback » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:48 am

I think this is the lochan l have wandered round a few times many moons ago. If l remember right there was a cottage hospital nearby. We used to stay in a B&B in the village across from the museum. The owner of the B&B became a friend. He had 2 collies and they would join us on the walk round the lochan. Good for Jack. Long may he continue his adventures.
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:10 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovely - well done Jack :clap: - one day ehh? :lol:

Don't encourage him! :shh:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:02 pm

Tomsie wrote:Took a walk up here or a cycle (cant remember which now ) while staying at Red Squirrel, nice area.
Be good to see it in winter.

Plenty snow there now I hear. 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:13 pm

tweedledog wrote:Ah, the extraordinary determination of elderly dogs. He evidently continues to enjoy it. The whippet is similarly disposed to the rabbits in my garden, though no longer fast enough to catch them. I think they are taking the mickey, waiting until the last minute to run. But he keeps trying. Einstein's definition of madness applies: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. :)

It's an optimistic streak in old age which I'd rather follow than giving up completely! :wtf:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:09 pm

Silverhill wrote:Ah Jack, bless him. He clearly is still young at heart. :D
Really lovely pictures of the lochan!

It's a lovely lochan! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:42 pm

Hillbeback wrote:I think this is the lochan l have wandered round a few times many moons ago. If l remember right there was a cottage hospital nearby. We used to stay in a B&B in the village across from the museum. The owner of the B&B became a friend. He had 2 collies and they would join us on the walk round the lochan. Good for Jack. Long may he continue his adventures.

Yes, at one time the lochan was known as the hospital lochan as it was in the grounds of the big house which became a hospital - in which a good friend of mine was born back in 1949. :D
dogplodder

Postby Chatty1978 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:43 pm

I loved reading your review and looking at your photos. Glencoe is my favourite area to visit. I love the comparison shots too. It's wonderful to see the seasons changing. Thank you for sharing your experience. My husband and I were planning on walking this route back in August 2021 but we chose the Signal Rock and An Tor route instead. We will be back in Scotland this summer though so we plan to walk this trail then. Our dog will be with us this time too (also a chaser of ducks].
We are so excited to go back.

Also, the shots of the Buachaille are AWESOME. Really stunning.
Chatty1978
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:03 pm

Chatty1978 wrote:I loved reading your review and looking at your photos. Glencoe is my favourite area to visit. I love the comparison shots too. It's wonderful to see the seasons changing. Thank you for sharing your experience. My husband and I were planning on walking this route back in August 2021 but we chose the Signal Rock and An Tor route instead. We will be back in Scotland this summer though so we plan to walk this trail then. Our dog will be with us this time too (also a chaser of ducks].
We are so excited to go back.

Also, the shots of the Buachaille are AWESOME. Really stunning.

Aw thanks for this. I'd almost forgotten this walk and Jack's part in it... so thanks for the memories.
dogplodder

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland