walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Jet lag cure on Stuc a'Chroin

Jet lag cure on Stuc a'Chroin

Postby jmarkb » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stùc a' Chròin

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Each

Date walked: 22/11/2015

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 1175m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A day out in the hills is a great cure for jet lag. I'd just come back from a week in Texas, and the forecast for the next day was looking good - a rare treat this month. We've done this walk a few times now, and really enjoy it, though it's odd that despite a good path up Beinn Each and a reasonable one continuing to Stuc a' Chroin, there seems to be none for the return, which involves a rough heathery descent to the track in Glen Ample - if anyone knows a better way I'd be glad to hear of it!

It turned out to be a stunning day with fresh snow on the tops and super visibility - the Galloway Hills which are 80+ mil;es away were clearly visible. The first winter conditions of the season are always someting to relish. We didn't make especially fast progress and the ground was a bit icy ion places, but we just made it back as it was getting dark.

BESaC.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Stob Binnein and Ben More

Meikle Bin

Ben Lomond

Beinn Each

Stob Binnein and Ben More again

Stuc a'Chroin

Ptarmigan

Arriving at the top of Stuc a'Chroin

Ben Lawers from the top of Stuc a'Chroin

Arran

Raven looking for lunch scraps

Tarmachan Ridge

Looking back to Beinn Each (on the left)

Meall Ghaordie

Tarmachan Ridge again

Meall an-t Seallaidh

The Cobbler and Beinn Narnain

Being watched...

Last light on Ben Lawers...

....gone

Sunset over Ben Ledi
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Jet lag cure on Stuc a'Chroin

Postby ancancha » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:47 pm

Few words jmarkb, but some very beautiful photos and a couple of nice wildlife shots :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Jaxter » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:51 pm

Amazing pictures - such a perfect day all over Scotland wasn't it! :D

It's also good to know that there's another route up Stuc a Chroin that is passable in snow as I had a failure in April when approaching from Ben Vorlich :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby jmarkb » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:58 pm

ancancha wrote:Few words jmarkb, but some very beautiful photos and a couple of nice wildlife shots :clap:

Thanks, and sorry for the brief write up!

Jaxter wrote:Amazing pictures - such a perfect day all over Scotland wasn't it!

Yes, a stunner, best day out for months.....

Jaxter wrote:It's also good to know that there's another route up Stuc a Chroin that is passable in snow as I had a failure in April when approaching from Ben Vorlich

Yes, it's good alternative, though the descent off Beinn Each is a bit steep in places and the lumpy nature of the ground between the two summits would make for testing navigation in poor visibility. Yet another option would be the SE ridge starting at Braeleny, straightforward apart from the river crossing near the start!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby Silverhill » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:37 pm

Lovely, my kind of day! Though I’m yet to venture out on the hills on a day like that. Stunning photos! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby mamoset » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:24 pm

Cracking photo's there jmark :clap: looks better in snow than when I was there recently :thumbup:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby katyhills » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:27 pm

That's a great set of pix jmark :D
It was some day wasn't it? I was on Beinn Each and I'm considering going back another time to do Stuc from that side, having done it the usual way. It looks a nice route. There were two runners doing it. Needless to say - I didn't see much of them!
The views are great from Each. I didn't catch any wildlife that day so I loved seeing the ptarmigan, in particular. It's a beauty. Love your Lawers in the sunset shot - that's stunning. I was on my way home by that time and wondered how good the setting sun would have been, viewed from a hill, so thanks for that lovely photo :)

You don't need too many words when you have those pix.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby philiarana » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:10 pm

Great photos -I was out in Glencoe that day. It was stunning. I'm keen to try out this route as have done Ben Each and Stuc a'Chroin independently from opposite sides...
philiarana
Mountain Walker

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby The Kraken » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Great photos jmarkb - and a fine way to get over the jet lag!
The Kraken
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:6

Postby jmarkb » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:10 pm

Thanks for all the kind words about the photos everyone, much appreciated.

katyhills wrote:It was some day wasn't it? I was on Beinn Each and I'm considering going back another time to do Stuc from that side, having done it the usual way. It looks a nice route. There were two runners doing it. Needless to say - I didn't see much of them! The views are great from Each. I didn't catch any wildlife that day so I loved seeing the ptarmigan, in particular. It's a beauty. Love your Lawers in the sunset shot - that's stunning. I was on my way home by that time and wondered how good the setting sun would have been, viewed from a hill, so thanks for that lovely photo

Thanks katy, it was worth being late back for those views - Ben Lawers is perfectly framed by Glen Ample as you head back down. The ptarmigan was just below the summit of Stuc a' Chroin and let me get very close. We saw the pair of runners - they were just about to catch us up, but then they must have dropped off the ridge as we didn't see them again. It is a nice route, despite the deep heather on the way down. For a slightly longer day, and when the rivers are low, the round of these two from Braeleny is another option I can recommend.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby brocoli » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:27 am

Very nice photos indeed! I was on the Black Isle this day and it was just grey :(
I hoped to get photos like yours today at Rothiemurchus but unfortunately it was to cloudy (damn mountains :roll: ). Should've gone up the Monadhliaths.

Thanks again for sharing your photos! I especially liked the ones of Ben Lawers (I was there in October :wink: ).
brocoli
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3
Islands:3

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland