walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Conic Hill in the murk

Conic Hill in the murk

Postby colinwatson » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:34 pm

Route description: Conic Hill, Balmaha

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Conic Hill

Date walked: 03/12/2015

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 550m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I took advantage of todays respite in the wet and windy weather to get a day out on a local hill. Although I've climbed Conic Hill on many occasions before, it fitted the bill as I could get there quickly. As I knew that all of the fences would have gates on them, I was able to take my dog with me - I don't fancy ever having to manhandle her over a fence!

Left the car at the car park above Drymen, allowing us to be on our way about quarter to nine. There were signs up advising that the Balmaha end of the hill would be closed in January and February 2016 to allow for tree felling operations. As it was a dreich Thursday, we almost had the hill to ourselves, apart from one runner and just a handful of fellow walkers.

There were a few spots of rain as we set out along the West Highland Way track, but compared to recent days, the conditions were quite benign, with some early morning mist low down.

2015-12-03 09.38.40 - Copy (640x428).jpg
Early mist at Duncryne

The walk along the track went by quickly as the hill got closer.

2015-12-03 10.05.07 (640x428).jpg
Approaching Conic Hill

We dropped down to Burn of Mar, which was remarkably low considering all of the recent rain. The recently bulldozed track at the burn deterred from the view as we climbed the east ridge before breaking off the path to the summit with the view of the islands of Loch Lomond following the highland boundary fault.

2015-12-03 11.09.10 (428x640).jpg
The highland boundary fault

After something to eat, we dropped back to the West Highland Way and retraced our steps back to Drymen as the mist, and eventually rain set in.
Attachments
2015-12-03 11.55.26 (640x428).jpg
On the way back to Drymen
colinwatson
Stravaiging

Munros:75   Corbetts:38
Fionas:44   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland