walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie direct from Loch Turret

Ben Chonzie direct from Loch Turret

Postby jmarkb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:39 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 06/12/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 750m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the Forth Bridge shut, and the A84 flooded north of Callendar, options were a bit limited, but Chonzie gave us a good day out. We were a bit surprised to see no-one else on the hill - it was quite windy but otherwise a fairly decent day. The track along Loch Turret was easy walking with fine views across the loch to the snow topped hills on the far side - no tidemark today after all the heavy rain! An eagle cruised round the side of Choinneachain Hill and there were bullfinches in the trees by Gilbert's Burn. From Lochain Uaine the more usual route goes up to Bealach na Gaoithe, but since it was likely to live up to its name today (pass of the wind), we took a more sheltered zig-zag line up heathery shelves towards the summit. An even more direct line at the top could be fun in consolidated snow conditions.

We hit the fresh snow at about 550m, which soon got deeper, with lots of spindrift blowing off the summit. Once on the ridge the wind indeed picked up, getting stronger and stronger as we approached the summit, where we were very glad of the shelter wall to hide behind for a quick sandwich. My wee anemometer was reading a steady 55 mph.

Setting off again we cut the corner to rejoin the main ridge. Carn Chois looks quite close, but there is a deceptively long and boggy section before the ground rises up again to its rock summit. Meanwhile, a heavy snow shower blew in from the west, giving some dramatic lighting, but cleared through after 20 minutes or so. From Carn Chois we headed down to the track and across the dam back to the car park. Oddly the lights were on in the wee building in the middle of the water - wonder if someone was at home?

This is a definite improvement on the "voie normale" from Glen Lednock, showing off the hill's best side.

Chonzie.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Loch Turret

Ben Chonzie from the end of the loch

Birch trees and drumlins

Lochan Uaine

Ben Chonzie's craggy side

On the last zig-zag

Approaching the summit

Ben Lawers

Blowing snow

Approaching snow shower

Clearing through...
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Ben Chonzie direct from Loch Turret

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:25 pm

This is my favourite route for Ben Chonzie (with Auchnafree Hill thrown in if time permits) and you got some brilliant photos of your day.

Not sure I would have fancied it with that wind blowing around.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby jmarkb » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:34 pm

Gordie12 wrote:This is my favourite route for Ben Chonzie (with Auchnafree Hill thrown in if time permits) and you got some brilliant photos of your day.

Yes, we've done the full round with Auchnafree Hill a couple of times - you're right, it is good. We went for the shorter version this time because of the wind (which was really only bad on the highest bit) and lack of daylight!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Graeme D » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Agreed. By far the best way to tackle Chonzie. I don't recall if I have ever said on here before or not, that Chonzie is my spiritual home. :? :? :? :? :D :D :D :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Silverhill » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:21 pm

Can’t comment on the route via Glen Lednock, but I too enjoyed the Loch Turret approach very much. It gets my vote.
That last picture is awesome! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland