walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creagan na Beinne via Creag Uchdag from Invergeldie

Creagan na Beinne via Creag Uchdag from Invergeldie

Postby m3doc » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:44 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Uchdag, Creagan na Beinne

Date walked: 16/08/2010

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 28.5 km

Ascent: 1665m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off from Coishavachan car park near Invergeldie at 9.05am up tarmac road to Loch Lednock dam, along track by lochside then track right rising up hillside towards grouse shooting butts. Continued up to Creag nan Eun 852m then over Meall Dubh Mor 809m. I rescued a sheep stuck down a peat hag hole at the start of the stream above Coire an Eachdarra. It had scraped the grass clear from the top of the hole above it's head with front legs in efforts to get out but there was no way it would have been able to. It is amazing how heavy a sheep is when you try to lift one. Fortunately this one had a couple of short horns which I was able to grab and haul the poor creature up and out of it's prison. It ran off a hundred meters to the skyline where it paused, turned round and baaed farewell. It was 1.30pm (about 4.25 hours) when Creag Uchdag 879m was reached 7.78km 819m ascent.
Continued north over Meall Rheamhar 781m to Meall nan Oighreag 833m turning east along and above Creag Garbh and Meall Mor. From 819m i reckoned, if a fence could be constructed through the crags, it should be possible to follow this off the east end of the ridge and it was. Thence to estate bothy at Dunan where an ATV sat on a trailer. I followed the track north about 100m then cut off heading up towards a stream to the right. Lo and behold ATV track appeared and, though somewhat wet, this went up onto Dunan Hill and all the way to the top of Creag na Beinne 888m 16.5km 1378m ascent arriving 5.30pm about 8.5 hours.
Return back down towards Dunan where the OS maps show just downstream a bridge across the River Almond with the Ardtalnaig - Invergeldie right-of-way path continuing on the other side. What a surprise to find no bridge though it was easy enough to run across the stream with waterproof gaiters and boots (a couple of strong plastic tie-top bin bags should be kept in rucsac for the occasional river crossing). However, the said right-of-way path was also non-existent presumably following the demise of the bridge. (If unable to cross there, then either upstream or lower downstream at a water intake dam). I followed the "right-of-way path" course on my Garmin Oregon 450 up through muir burnt blackened heather stems to the bealach where a track appears going down to Invergeldie and Coishavachan this being completed in the dark arriving at the car after 13 hours at 10.05pm 28.5km (17.7 miles) 1665m ascent (similar time as weaselmaster but 5 hours slower than bootsandpaddles!)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

m3doc
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:178
Grahams:91   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland