walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Craig of Monievreckie

Craig of Monievreckie

Postby colinwatson » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:48 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Craig of Monievreckie

Date walked: 13/12/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 600m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left home in thick fog, but it cleared as I drove past Dumgoyne, arriving at a very quiet Aberfoyle around nine. Not many people about.

Headed along the old railway track and through the grounds of the Dounans Centre. Despite the frost, there were a few very keen golfers out on the course.

2015-12-13 09.43.40 (640x428).jpg
The keen golfers!

It was beautiful to walk through the forest, looking across the sea of mist to the Campsies. I took the track to the bottom of the crags running across the Menteith Hills. In hindsight, it would have been better to leave the track at the crags. I walked on to the track junction and this meant I had a very steep initial ascent through dead bracken and nettles to gain the ridge. My consolation was that it would have been worse in summer when the bracken was high! When you gain the open hillside, the walking becomes easier, although much of it is through heather. As I made my way over the spot height and on to the summit, the views opened out spectacularly - Ben Lomond to the west, Ben More and Stobinnien to the north and Ben Ledi to the east.

2015-12-13 11.26.16 (640x428).jpg
Ben Lomond

2015-12-13 11.26.25 (640x428).jpg
The Crianlarich Hills

To make more of a day of it (and to avoid a rubbish descent to the track) I continued along the ridge and dropped down to pick up the Aberfoyle - Callander path. I have walked this on a number of occasions with D of E groups and have always found it to be a quagmire. Surprisingly, after all of the rain recently, it was the driest I have ever seen it and I made good progress back towards Aberfoyle. As I came along the track leading into the village, it was lovely to look down at the wooded hills popping their heads out of the mist.

2015-12-13 13.55.15 (640x428).jpg
Towards Aberfoyle

2015-12-13 13.55.37 (640x428).jpg
The Campsies through the mist

Arrived back in Aberfoyle just after two. A very enjoyable short day out. Great to see the sun again after such dismal recent weather.
colinwatson
Stravaiging

Munros:75   Corbetts:38
Fionas:44   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland