walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Icy bike and hike

Icy bike and hike

Postby Yorjick » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:56 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meallach Mhòr

Date walked: 13/12/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 674m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ice on the road up Glen Tromie and deep snow on the west ridge of Meallach Mhor made this a harder and longer day than expected. I did pedal and slide my way up Glen Tromie for about five miles before continuing on foot to Bhran Cottage. From here, Meallach Mhor could be clearly seen and I decided that continuing from the summit towards the Meallach Mhor - Meallach Bheag bealach and down a visible track may be preferable to a straight up and down.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSCF7851_resize.JPG

I left the road at a lochan which is shown on my new map (revised 2010) but does not appear on older maps.

DSCF7858_resize.JPG

Heading up to the west ridge, I passed a memorial cairn for Michael J Wilson 7.10.78 - 11.6.99. By now I was getting good views towards the Gaick Pass.

DSCF7861_resize.JPG

There were even finer views as I ascended the west ridge.

DSCF7872_resize.JPG

On reaching the summit, I was rewarded with splendid views of the Feshie Hills and the Braeriach - Cairn Toul ridge beyond.

DSCF7878Panorama_resize.jpg

I did a few summit selfies and had drink of coffee before heading down the north ridge to join the track down to Glen Tromie.

DSCF7885_resize.JPG

DSCF7893_resize.JPG

It was almost dark when I arrived back at the car.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland