walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Searching for a Photo...

Searching for a Photo...

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:49 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 17/12/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Film of day :

I love taking photos (I also love taking videos!) and when out hiking and enjoying TGO I have the camera out lots (probably too much!). However I have never set out on a trip specifically to take a photo, I always just snap away at subjects and landscapes that I like when out.

This trip was different. I knew a shot I wanted, it wasn’t a very original shot, and in fact the subject (a mountain- no surprises there) is probably the most photographed landscape in the UK. I have loads of photos of his iconic mountain but I wanted a specific shot. The mountain is Stob Dearg or The Buachaille or The Bookle;) and I wanted a winter shot with the Bookle and its Moat (i.e. the River Coupall).

So a late change in forecast around Thursday night showed a short settled spell arriving on Saturday after a few days of snow. It even showed clear skies for the morning, even better, I would also get the sun rising in to the bargain.

So Research done, maps pored over, sun calc calculated, reports read, previous photos studied and I was off in the car by 0500AM – Ouch. Driving through and it was cloudy. I was really disappointed as I knew the chances of a sunrise were diminishing as I was coming in from the east However on arriving at a snowy (and busy) Altnafeadh layby (other parking spots to wintery to park in) I could make out that the tops were clear of cloud, but there was a dark blanket blotting out any chances of a sunrise !

I set off up Chrulaiste at a slow pace – snow was deep – fitness was low – but I had plenty of time. I had a location in mind and before long I arrived at the photo spot. I set the tripod up (something I don’t usually have!) and snapped away. No sunrise shot but I was happy with the moody dawn light on The Buachaille with dark skies behind.

ImageBuchaille Panorama by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

And one without the Moat (i.e. River Coupall!!)

ImageSNOW darkening skies in Glencoe The Buachaille by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

A few more snaps and I made my way towards the top. The drifts were deep but I followed footsteps from the night before and soon met the owners of the footsteps on the way down. They had camped on the summit hoping to get star and sunrise shots but the cloud had thwarted these occurring I was rather jealous remembering my wild camp here almost a year previously 

I reached the summit and sat for an hour. A thin line of blue had appeared on the Northern Horizon earlier and as I ate my lunch I watched this blue line expand and start to chase the dark skies southwards. Soon I had the sunglasses out and the day suddenly felt very alpine. Although not the best time to take photos, this afternoon was okay as the sun doesn’t reach very high in the sky and I noticed some nice shadows and lines. I headed back through waist deep drifts to take more photos…

A sun kissed snow plastered rock face :)

Imagesun hit the snow plastered slope of The Buachaille by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Snow drifts:

Imagecontrast by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The North Face (zoom)

ImageBen NEVIS by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Sun lowering:

ImageSunset over Buachaille Etive Mor by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

All I can say was that it was absolutely stunning. I wish I and could’ve stayed out as per 12 months previously! I got back to the car and by the time I had dug myself out (rear wheel car are not very snow friendly!!) It was 3.30 and the sun was starting to sink. I hope the photos are ok, its my first attempt and I think I got the shot I was hoping for….

Here is the shot I had planned for (minus sun rise !) :

ImageGlencoe Panorama -Buachaille Etive Mor by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Thanks to the chaps from the JMCS (I think tats right?) who hung around to make sure I got my car safely on the road – much appreciated – hope the slide show was entertaining at Lagangarbh 
wilkiemurray

Re: Searching for a Photo...

Postby Jaxter » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:57 am

:clap: :clap: great photo!! Definitely worth the effort :D

Maybe the forecast will improve and this Saturday will be as good :roll:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby kev_russ » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Another cracker as per usual. I always get that catchy tune in your videos in ma heed :) You must've been up that corbett a few times now. Cheers!
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Fantastic - great results even without the sunrise! :clap:

It's a matter of very personal taste, but I actually prefer the first shot, and also the one with the snow drifts, to your final B&W panorama.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Andrea Rosslyn » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:08 pm

Awesome! :clap: Thank you for sharing :wink:
Andrea Rosslyn
Munro compleatist

Munros:57   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:09 am

Jaxter wrote::clap: :clap: great photo!! Definitely worth the effort :D

Maybe the forecast will improve and this Saturday will be as good :roll:

As for this Saturday .. well I think the term is "unlikely (being conservative !!) :)

atb

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:10 am

kev_russ wrote:Another cracker as per usual. I always get that catchy tune in your videos in ma heed :) You must've been up that corbett a few times now. Cheers!

Thank Kev - yes been up it loads - it just keeps giving - got to be one of my favourite hills s it gives me smashing views of my favourite mountains :)

ATB

Murray

P.S. I must get new music for the films !!
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:11 am

jmarkb wrote:Fantastic - great results even without the sunrise! :clap:

It's a matter of very personal taste, but I actually prefer the first shot, and also the one with the snow drifts, to your final B&W panorama.

Thanks :) Yeah I think I like the sun kissed rock face one best :) was a great wee trip :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:22 pm

Oh my... all of those photos are just wonderful.

I've been intending to make specific walks for specific photos for several years but only started doing it this October. I find it actually far more rewarding than gaining summits. For me, the third and fourth photos would have made the round trip from here (18 hours, give or take) worthwhile :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby roughwalker » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Great report,photo's and video... is there a better glencoe hill for views?!! :D :D
roughwalker
Mountaineer

Munros:61   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:37   

Postby ExpatEddie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Just pure enjoyment sitting in an armchair looking at your work. Hope we will see more of this in the future. Thank you for sharing it with us all. :clap: :clap: :clap:
ExpatEddie
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:12
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+47
Sub 2000:26   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Brilliant as always Murray.

In August I did Stob Dearg & Stob na Broige and on the way back to the car I couldn't stop looking at Beinn a' Chrulaiste, as there was loads of daylight I just kept going and climbed it as well. The views over to Stob Dearg and up to The Three Sisters just blew me away and I decided I would go back in winter just to take some more photos (I don't stop very often but the views from Stob Beinn a' Chrulaiste just force you to stop and take it all in - even in summer).

Your video and photos have convinced me I need to keep my promise to myself and get back there.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Great videos as usual :clap: :clap: :clap:
Keep the Steaming Boots busy...good work ! :clap: 8) :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby onsen » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:40 am

Cool & stark....Lovely shots. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:40 am

BobMcBob wrote:Oh my... all of those photos are just wonderful.

I've been intending to make specific walks for specific photos for several years but only started doing it this October. I find it actually far more rewarding than gaining summits. For me, the third and fourth photos would have made the round trip from here (18 hours, give or take) worthwhile :)

Thanks Bob :) I appreciate this trip eve more after being out yesterday! no views but still a cracking trip on the hill :) hopefully we will get some nice High Pressue settles winter weather soooon:)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland