walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back to The Brack with Tam Mac

Back to The Brack with Tam Mac

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:50 pm

Route description: The Brack and Cnoc Còinnich , Ardgartan

Corbetts included on this walk: The Brack

Date walked: 13/12/2015

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 7.3 km

Ascent: 790m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We (now when I say we, I mean Me,Tam, Jim and Michelle) (thats enough of the brackets, I tried that last month and got beaten to walk report of the month by a dog ! :cry: ) and Molly , a dog BTW, decided on our first winter walk of the season and headed for The Brack.

Twas a cold and frosty morning and still dark when Tam picked me up at 8.30 am. it was also very foggy and stayed that way until we got by Balloch and the blue skies started to appear out of the fog. A blanket of cloud still hung low over Loch Lomond as we drove up the west side of Scotland`s longest loch.
It was going to be a cracker of a day ! As we drove towards Luss, Beinn Dubh and the rest of the surrounding hills looked tip top with snow covering them from top to a couple of hundred metres from the bottom.
And then into Arrochar , where the unmistakeable shape of The Cobbler stuck out in all it`s white glory.
We arrived at the car park in good time and waited for Jim and Michelle. Once we started we found it a tad cold outside as we walked along the forrestry road towards the hill. We were all wrapped up well but as usual the layers started to come off before we were even on the hill proper.
The narrow path up through the forest was quite wet and muddy and on occasion wee Molly had to be lifted over the large steps. I`d forgotten how lfar it was through the trees until you reached the hillside. After we had crossed the burn , the path began to harden and get quite icy in some places and a bit of care had to be taken.
IMG_5235wh.jpg
Beinn an Lochain

We had great views over the trees up the Rest & Be Thankful towards Beinn an Lochan Ben Luibhean and The Cobbler.
As the path carried along beside the burn I took a path up that led me onto some icy rocks. I tried to turn back down and carry on alongside the burn but it felt more dangerous to go down. So I clambered up by the side of the path, dragging myself up by grabbing handfulls of grass. Tam was further ahead so I told Jim & Michelle to carry along the path they were going.
IMG_5244wh.jpg
The Cobbler

IMG_5276wh.jpg
Frozen grass

We were getting into the snow proper now and Molly loved rolling about in it. We passed the shelter stone and carried on up crunching through the top crust of snow.
As we neered the brow of the hill just before the lochan , the sun popped up.
IMG_5298wh.jpg
Sunshine

The Lochan itself was frozen over.
IMG_5315wh.jpg
Frozen Lochan

Although it was obviously cold it was still quite mild and we were able to hang around here taking plenty of photos.
IMG_5307wh.jpg
Loch Long and inversion over Helensburgh

IMG_5311wh.jpg
Ben Lomond

IMG_5312wh.jpg
Tam Mac way ahead

IMG_5318wh.jpg
Lochan

We marched on and the snow was getting quite deep but as a few people had already been up here in the previous days there where decent footprints to follow in and the going was quite easy.
Tam was waiting for us before the top sheltering behind a big rock as it had got quite windy now. He was enjoying a nice cuppa from his flask, until de sat his cup on the snow and it just slid away from him down the hill ! :lol:
IMG_5330wh.jpg
Tam before he lost his cup

IMG_5328wh.jpg
Love is...

We made our stop on top short as the wind was quite fierce and Molly was fair shivering but once off the summit the wind was gone again.
FB_IMG_1450384775121.jpg
Summit pic

IMG_5347wh.jpg
First use of ice axe this winter

Well, the other went down quickly, I hung around a bit for some pictures and put my waterproof trousers on, I fancied a bit of sledging !
IMG_5351wh.jpg
Ben Lomond

IMG_5352wh.jpg
Snowy hills

I made my way down trying to bum slide as much as I could , but the gradient wasn`t so good mostly as the route twisted and turned from the summit.

I decided to go looking for Tam`s cup and followed it`s path down from the rock he sat at. This was better, a decent slope I could slide down and slowed myself whenever necessary with my ice axe. And then I spotted it sitting on a raised lump right beside a hole by a rock. He was overjoyed when I caught up with him and gave it back. :lol:
IMG_5363wh.jpg
Happy chap

IMG_5366wh.jpg
Happy couple
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Back to The Brack with Tam Mac

Postby Silverhill » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:13 pm

That looks like you had a lot of fun! I love the pictures of the lochan. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby jogilv16 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:21 am

nice wee report tommy,well done on finding tams cup.....hed been out of action on the hills without his flask..
jogilv16

Munros:203   Corbetts:24
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:39

Postby Graeme D » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:29 pm

Nice. Always liked the look of that hill. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland