walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Tanar

Glen Tanar

Postby KatTai » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:45 pm

Route description: Glen Tanar pinewoods, near Aboyne

Date walked: 23/12/2015

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Since the weather was looking brighter this afternoon for one of the first times on my day off in ages I decided to head out with the dogs for a quick walk around Glen Tanar following the pinewoods trail. There was hardly anyone there when I arrived at around 12:30pm so we set off and once passed the field with the sheep and reached the little church, both dogs could have some freedom to run around.

a.jpg

We were walking into the low sun, so I just had to assume they weren't getting into any mischief! The sun didn't seem to bother them at all.

1.jpg

Though Moss did hear or see something of interest in the forest...not sure what as I couldn't see anything myself though! She loved all the smells that were around and didn't go too far away though I did keep a close eye on her in case she did get overly distracted by something she was on the trail of!

2.jpg

With the sun constantly in my eyes, I was starting to wish I'd done this route in reverse especially as for much of the time the sun was at just the right angle so the trees didn't provide any shade.

b.jpg

But finally the path changed direction and I could see again yay! We followed the trail round to the first of the little bridges. I would love to get a really nice photo of the bridges along this route, but it really isn't happening. I do like bridges, as do the dogs as they raced across it.

c.jpg

The trail is easy to follow as it is waymarked all the way around and it is a flat walk, while I may have liked to head for the hills it was a bit windy for me to be walking in and the glen provided a nice, sheltered alternative and the dogs certainly enjoyed themselves!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:15
Grahams:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:26   
Islands:25

Re: Glen Tanar

Postby ancancha » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:59 pm

Sounds like a great walk for helping the digestion of a Christmas dinner :wink:
I'm sure ther will be many who will follow in your footsteps come tomorrow afternoon :clap:
ancancha
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1

Postby matt_outandabout » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:34 pm

I pedalled up Tanar on a coast to coast mountain bike route many years ago on those paths. Memories of a few stops, some sleeping prior to the last push up Keen to the finish, in 25* with air laden with pine scent. Heaven.

Looks like a great wee wander.
matt_outandabout
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:19
Grahams:20   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:144   Islands:12

Postby dogplodder » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:24 pm

Did that trail many years ago and would love to go back. Great place for your lovely dogs! :D
dogplodder

Munros:232   Corbetts:57
Grahams:17   
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:23

Postby KatTai » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:43 pm

I have to be honest - Glen Tanar was actually my 2nd choice, first choice was Loch Muick but we were too short of time to head up there lol
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:15
Grahams:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:26   
Islands:25

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland