walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CCP - Ruin 1 Mile North of Loch Ordie

CCP - Ruin 1 Mile North of Loch Ordie

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Date walked: 27/12/2015

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 26.1 km

Ascent: 383m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I didn't set out to break any records this year but with a decent December mileage so far and 1 walking day left till the New Year I needed to get out and cover 15 miles to set myself a new record. Luckily the constant rain of yesterday was replaced with a cold clear day, perfect for walking so it was my usual early start with the head torch back in action for the first half hour.

Another switch of boots for today having suffered a bad blister followed by a cut to my heel last week as I muck around trying to find a boot I can trust for next years long distance trails.

Not sure if I was feeling good or the cold had me upping my pace but I made good time up to Loch Ordie just as the sun started to appear.

Loch Ordie 2.jpg
Dawn at Loch Ordie

I had calculated that doing my shorter route (turning back a couple of miles north of Loch Ordie) would see me home and get me back in time to watch the football. The frosty morning meant the track to the north of Loch Ordie wasn't as wet as it could have been and I was able to keep my pace going.

Loch Ordie 3.jpg
Snow covered hills to the north of Pitlochry

As usual, back at Loch Ordie I had a very brief stop at the bridge to get the MP3 out for the last hour and a half.

A few mountain bikers out and about this morning but not the usual number of weekend walkers so it didn't feel too crowded once south of Loch Ordie.

Back at the car it was good to see that I had averaged 3.7 miles per hour today - better pace than I've managed for a few months now. And after 12 months of walking I've broken my 2012 mileage record by 1.8 miles covering 1,365 miles. While I've broken my mileage record, my Munro tally was fairly rubbish with only 21 new Munros climbed but I seemed to enjoy quite a few Corbetts this year as well as some Donalds and a day trip down to the Lake District for a Wainwright bash.

A good year and next weekend it all starts again........
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland