walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nativity play on Broomy Law

Nativity play on Broomy Law

Postby superstar_tradesman » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Broomy Law

Date walked: 24/12/2015

Time taken: 0.33 hours

Distance: 3.8 km

Ascent: 165m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a breezy trip to the top of Black Mount, I drove round to the car park at the Big Red Barn, a nice tea shop at the A702/A721 crossroads. Most of the WH walk reports for Broomy Law were from the S, but I thought that parking here would give a good alternative route up from the N, with the advantage of returning directly to a cafe afterwards :) (I guess you could use this car park for a walk up Black Mount too)

2015-12-24 13.38.57 small.jpg
Black Mount and the Big Red Barn, from the slopes of Broomy Law

I wasn't sure if I could get through the plantation forest immediately S of the car park, so decided to head out of the car park and E along the A721 for 100m or so, then over the fence and up the side of the grassy field E of the plantation. Over a low barbed-wire fence, and I was onto the open hill side. I picked up a path that contoured above the edge of the plantation (with a deer fence that is possibly climbable but I didn't fancy it as a return route), then gradually began to climb until I met a low electric fence. Either it was switched off or I'm tougher than I thought, but I crossed it and headed across the next field, still climbing gently. This would be easy walking when the wind isn't blowing in your face!

At this point I was spotted by the inhabitants of the field, a large flock of sheep, who must have decided I was their Christmas Eve shepherd and began to follow me. I wasn't wearing a white sheet and didn't have a crook, so after a while they wandered off, looking disappointed.

2015-12-24 13.42.51 small.jpg
"Alright, mate, got anything to eat?"

There was one more fence to negotiate, this time using a gate, to get to the next field, and soon I was at the top of Broomy Law. I was greeted by that fierce cold and wet west wind and some not very bonny mobile phone masts, so I didn't linger; but at least as I turned back N there was an atmospheric view towards the Pentlands and Edinburgh.

2015-12-24 13.49.13 small.jpg
Storm clouds over the Pentland Hills

I returned the same way, as quickly as I could, and was soon back to the car for a quick change, and then a huge Americano and traybake in the cafe. Drinking hot coffee and looking out the window to the top of the hill I'd been on half an hour previously was a very good end to a very good Christmas Eve on the hills.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland