walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Sgiath Airgh and Sgurr nan Eugallt

Sgurr Sgiath Airgh and Sgurr nan Eugallt

Postby birdiesboss » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Eugallt, near Kinloch Hourn

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Eugallt

Date walked: 19/07/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An interesting and surprisingly tough day out in the hills.

This is probably a slightly unusual approach to the Corbett Sgurr nan Eugallt. I was staying the incomparable Skiary - a tiny croft on the N Side of Loch Hourn, run for the summer by mountain mad Tom and his girlfriend Claire who produce all of the food - it's great and about the only place to stay on the N side of Loch Hourn!

I decided to spend the day climbing their 'house mountain' Sgurr Sgiath Airgh. Even from the map this looks fairly daunting - climbed from sea level with no paths! Anyway, left the house and followed the Barrisdale footpath for about half a mile up to the top of the first hump. From there, I cut off up the steep hill slope until at around 460m, the Coire Sgiath Airigh is reached. This looks a bit like a small version of the HIdden Valley - wide, flat and surrounded by hill. From here, you just have to pick what you think is the best line (they are all steep and rocky) and head off upwards. From now on you just keep climbing until the surprisingly large cairn is reached on the summit of Sgurr Sgiath Airgh. Note that due to the vast number of false summits you almost don't see the cairn until you walk into it! The view from the top here is immense including the Cullins, Eigg, Loch Quoich and other islands and in the distance to the South a lovely view of Ben Nevis. Almost makes the climb seem worth it!

From there it's a simple step across to the summit of Sgurr nan Eugallt which is marked with a concrete trig point. You can miss the hump out in the middle between the two and you go past some Lochans that were looking so inviting that I even managed a swim. The dog looked on from the side very confused! From here, I followed the ridge along and desceded rapidly before cutting off and heading down the Alt Coire Mhicrail. This it turned out was a bit of a mistake. The descent was steep and rocky and resulted in a couple of slips and bruised elbows! Following the river down is also difficult on confused deer paths with several tricky crossings of tributaries with quite long falls in prospect if you slip! Doing it again I'd probably take the same way down as I went up.

Anyway after a very hot humid walk down I finally arrived back at the croft to be served with lashings of tea and scones. In summary a b***er of a climb up, followed by great views and a b****rd of a trip down, but I didn't even see a single footprint, let alone person all day!
birdiesboss
Mountaineer

Re: Sgurr Sgiath Airgh and Sgurr nan Eugallt

Postby kinley » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:41 pm

Excellent! 8) Didn't know Skiary did accommodation :)

That's a tough route! Did your ascent route in descent and it was hard work - the hill itself is a gem 8)

Any pictures? The view from the top is spectacular

Cheers 8)
kinley

Postby malky_c » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:56 pm

Seems like an interesting direction to do this from. My dad descended this way on one occasion, and said it was great. Unfortunately I wasn't with him.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:04 am

Excellent info there - thanks for that - will be helpful to me when I get round to doing those Corbetts :D

Surprised at the dog not jumping in and joining you - they usually don't need much encouragement to swim!

Would Sgurr Sgiath Airgh be easier to do from Sgurr nan Eugallt and back?
mountain coward

Postby birdiesboss » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 am

HI all - sorry - no pictures as I forgot the camera. (That makes a change then!) The transit between SGURR SGIATH AIRGH AND SGURR NAN EUGALLT is really easy - it's just the getting up there. I think there's an alternative route up which begins somewhere up above Kinlochhourn which would save some climbing and might be a bit easier - I don't really know. These are both pretty isolated hills and I think that half of the fun is in the decision making due a lack of obvious paths etc!
birdiesboss
Mountaineer

Postby kinley » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:04 pm

birdiesboss wrote:I think there's an alternative route up which begins somewhere up above Kinlochhourn which would save some climbing and might be a bit easier - I don't really know.

:lol: I think your route is probably "the alternative" :lol:

There's a fine stalkers path ascends for Coireshubh above Kinloch Hourn - makes easy work of this hill.

The other trip reports on this hill all use it. 8)
kinley

Postby edweirdo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Seems to me that Skiary is on the SOUTH side of Loch hourn!!!
edweirdo
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:70   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:58   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland