walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum - EPIC

Ben Challum - EPIC

Postby rallyeryan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:25 pm

Date walked: 09/01/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1075m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

EPIC Day

Beginning from Strathfillan Wigwams car park at 8:15am. Frosty, dim light and with sun rising looked like it could be a smashing day.

After reading reviews, confident with our choice based on having a virgin, budding Munroest accompanying wanted an easy safe one.

We walked on the track traversing Beinn Chorach until we reached the Coire adjoining Ben Challum.

Headed straight up of the beaten track. At 600ft the snow and cloud began.

A very strenuous straight up slog with a old knee injury beginning to hinder. Wind picked up, zero viability we eventually reached the summit.

Proving difficult to navigate even with GPS, we headed for the ridge that most walk up and down on.

We decided to take a right and make our way down Coire nan Each, waist deep snow, no viability and knee now seething in pain. We got the the bottom of the valley, made a challenging river crossing and back up to the track we walked in on.

Got back to the car, heaters on and relieved to get back safe and sound.

It is not an easy climb in winter, give yourself at least another 2 hours but over all a great day. Will walk in the summer and would recommend it.
rallyeryan
Munro compleatist

Munros:10   

Re: Ben Challum - EPIC

Postby gary » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Was up Ben Challum myself yesterday, I went via Kirkton Farm, conditions were tough that way also. Navigation was a nightmare higher up right enough, I found it a quite tough day so its kind off reassuring that I wasn't the only one.
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:9

Postby rallyeryan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi Ben

Thanks for the reply.

Did we drive past you. Were you park in the lay-by on the left at Kirkton Farm? Estate car?

Went went the reverse circular as given the weather looked like it was going to be a smashing day albeit snow forecast in the afternoon.

I said to my companion that I was surprised not to have seen anyone given that it is a popular winter walk. The visibility was that bad that you would look at something then glance back and return with a complete different perspective.

Didn't help that I was suffering a pretty bad knee half way in but knee good or bad it was pretty challenging!

Not a day either to be on your own in such conditions do well played.

Cheers
Ryan
rallyeryan
Munro compleatist

Postby gary » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:11 am

Yes Ryan, I was parked in the lay-by at Kirkton Farm, Black Audi estate.
I saw about ten other folk the route I took, although it would have been easy to miss someone further up as like you say, visibility was atrocious.
Not sure I could have kept going with a knee injury, considered turning about as it was due to the conditions so fair play for carrying on.
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:9

Postby rallyeryan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:44 am

Hi Ben,

I did see you then as I was in a Black A6 Estate too!

Fortunately I had purchased for the first time walking poles the day before. I don't think I could have done it without them and really recommend them.

I think it is a walk I will return to in the winter as I think it would be a nice easy one - unlike in the depths of winter!

Cheers.
Ryan
rallyeryan
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland