walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wander up West Lomond

A wander up West Lomond

Postby KatTai » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:12 pm

Route description: West Lomond from Craigmead

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: West Lomond

Date walked: 11/01/2016

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Decided heading South would be the best option for today, I decided to head for West Lomond. East Lomond was clear of cloud, but I've been up there so we still went West! It was the first time I've tried out my new boots, rucksack and my new dog walking belt!

3.jpg

The going was easy enough meeting just a few other walkers on our way and seeing a couple of grouse. The sun was shining across the Forth, but not where we were!

a.jpg

The clear track led towards West Lomond, sprinkled with snow unlike East Lomond that had very little snow, amazing the difference between hills that are so close to each other.

b.jpg

We followed the main trail round to the west of the summit, taking the left fork to head up into the mist. There would be no views from the summit for us today, but maybe another day!

d.jpg

At the top the dogs were let off lead for a bit of a run around and off course a few summit photos. Millie is a pro at posing for photos with the summit marker...

4.jpg

Moss is getting better at posing too! Though she gets anxious if I try and get her to pose for photos, so I just have to hope she gets into position herself!

7.jpg

I'd seen some sheep down by the other route, so rather than continuing the circuit I decided to head back the way we came so the dogs could get a bit of off-lead time. I think it is safe to say they had fun getting to run around and play...

16.jpg
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

Re: A wander up West Lomond

Postby Silverhill » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Lovely pictures of the dogs, great to see them having fun! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby KatTai » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:21 pm

Silverhill wrote:Lovely pictures of the dogs, great to see them having fun! :D

Was great to let them be able to have a proper run! Our local "big run" places are more like the big swim places at the moment, not that they are bothered about that! :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:32 am

A fine walk, pity no views from the summit. Not much snow left either. Hope your new boots didn't give you blisters.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby KatTai » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:23 am

The Rodmiester wrote:A fine walk, pity no views from the summit. Not much snow left either. Hope your new boots didn't give you blisters.

Nope, no problem at all walking with my new boots, really comfy to walk in. Driving in them is another matter though! Will be wearing other shoes for driving and putting my walking boots on when I get there I think :)
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby redvark » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:38 pm

the Lomonds are my local hills, I like the route to West Lomond over Bishop Hill from the reservoirs and then back along the track to the car park which gives a bit of extra distance. It can be a bit "sheepy" up there though. I love the photos of your dogs having fun, we have three Collies but they all studiously pretend not to like playing with each other when we are out
redvark
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:90   Islands:17

Postby KatTai » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:17 pm

redvark wrote:the Lomonds are my local hills, I like the route to West Lomond over Bishop Hill from the reservoirs and then back along the track to the car park which gives a bit of extra distance. It can be a bit "sheepy" up there though. I love the photos of your dogs having fun, we have three Collies but they all studiously pretend not to like playing with each other when we are out

Sounds like a nice route, and I haven't done Bishop's Hill yet so I'll keep that in mind :D I don't mind sheep, I just figured I'd "reward" the dogs with some off-lead time rather than keep them on the lead the whole time. And at the moment I don't know how Moss will respond to walking through a field of sheep.
KatTai
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland