walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Magical mists, majestic mountains and the power of healing

Magical mists, majestic mountains and the power of healing

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:00 pm

Route description: Beinn Loinne, from Cluanie

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Loinne

Date walked: 17/10/2015

Distance: 18 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The last walk I did with Mary ended like this.

DSC_2726-large.JPG

Full story here.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53828

That was April 2015 when Mary was recovering from a broken shoulder from a cycling accident. She had just been discharged from physio, was on the point of going back to work and came out with me to climb Ben Tee. But on the way down she slipped in mud to dislocate and break her ankle. It was a nasty break in three places with fracture blisters which delayed surgery and kept her in hospital for 12 days including her 60th birthday.

Now it was October and she was ready for a walk in the hills again. I'd been scanning the weather and in an overall indifferent picture found the best options Lochaber and Kintail. The second consideration was a good track as rough ground wouldn't be the best idea at this stage in her recovery. Where would this be possible as well as giving Rob and me access to a hill we'd not previously done?

My attention fell on Beinn Loinne starting from the Cluanie Inn. This would give Mary the old road to Skye to walk on and a base to return to when she'd done enough. Perfect.

We parked on the side road off the A87 a little to the east of the Cluanie Inn. We'd driven through fog in the glens to get there and it was a misty start to the walk but the sun was already filtering through and I was confident we'd soon be above it. There was a fog bow but I couldn't get a decent shot of it as my camera wouldn't focus on something so vaporous and vague.

Faint fog bow
DSC_0363-largel.JPG

Winding River Cluanie
DSC_0367-largel.JPG

Rob and Mary at start of walk
DSC_0365-large.JPG

I have to take my hat off to Mary for her positive spirit. To break her ankle just as she was on the point of returning to work after a broken shoulder was beyond unfortunate. But she didn't let it get her down and set about her recovery with such determination, even using her newly acquired bus pass for a trip to Ullapool complete with plaster cast and crutches. You can't keep this woman down...... which is why I knew she'd be up for doing the first part of the walk with us today. The idea was we'd walk together as far as the high point in the road when Rob and I would cross the moor to climb Beinn Loinne while Mary would carry on as far as she felt able for before returning to the Cluanie Inn to wait for us with a book and a pot of tea.

Happy to be in the hills again
DSC_0369-large.JPG

Sgurr an Fhuarail and Am Bathach above the mist
DSC_0370-largel.JPG

Am Bathach was my other pal's first hill after breaking her ankle and on a less benign day than this. On that occasion, after climbing Am Bathach, Moira returned with Chris and Janice to the warmth of the Cluanie Inn while Penny and I went on to climb Ciste Dhubh in a howling gale we could hardly stand up in. A useful haven that inn.

A'Chralaig
DSC_0371-largel.JPG

The public road network in the west of Scotland wasn't always the way it is today. Until relatively recent times many of the roads were simply upgrades of former drovers' tracks and were narrow, twisting and steep as they crossed high mountain passes. The old "Road to the Isles" which we were walking today was one of these. It had passed over two rivers which were dammed and flooded to form Lochs Loyne and Cluanie in 1957 and a new road, the current A87, was built to skirt round the lochs. Where the original road crossed what is now Loch Loyne, there were two bridges and a small wooded island. The road and bridges still exist but are wholly or almost wholly submerged below the waterline for much of the year.

This was the road I travelled as a child in 1956 when we drove up from Yorkshire to visit relatives in Kyle of Lochalsh. We did the journey in two stages. Yorkshire to Edinburgh where we stayed overnight with my grandparents; then Edinburgh to Kyle which in those days of single track road (and cars that didn't go fast anyway!) was an all day journey. I still remember the excitement of driving through such spectacular scenery, with no inkling that one day many years later I'd climb these hills, the sight of which so overawed me then. It was a historic journey as the following year the river was dammed to create Loch Loyne and this through route for traffic was wiped off the map for ever.

What is it that's so magical about a cloud inversion?
DSC_0374-large.JPG

Photogenic tree looking east
DSC_0376-large.JPG

Same tree looking west
DSC_0377-largel.JPG

After 2k the road forks, going left to Cluanie Lodge and right through a gate to continue on the route of the old road. The surface up until this point was good but became much rougher with vegetation breaking through once we passed the gate. I noticed by the side of the road old stone milestones which I remember seeing as a child.

The point we left the road to start our pathless ascent
DSC_0378-largel.JPG

At first we had to weave our way through bogs - but on a day like this even the bogs were beautiful
DSC_0379-largel.JPG

We headed as instructed for the rocky knoll at 540m, the views improving all the time. We could also keep an eye on Mary's progress and could see when she sat down at the side of the road for a break. She continued on the road as it dropped down to Loch Loyne, going further than I had imagined she would - doing a round trip of about 7 miles.

The Brothers and Sisters appearing
DSC_0380-largel.JPG

From the rocky knoll we headed east towards Druim nan Cnamh, the broad NW ridge of Beinn Loinne.

Creag a' Mhaim and the South Shiel ridge stretching away to the west
DSC_0382-large.JPG

South west to the hills of Glen Quoich
DSC_0384-largel.JPG

Reflections in Loch Cluanie
DSC_0386-largel.JPG

Zoomed to Cluanie Lodge
DSC_0387-largel.JPG

The maps mark the east summit as the top of Beinn Loinne but helpfully to us the west summit is the highest point. After a few hopeful rises which weren't the actual top the cylindrical trig point came into view and the dogs dutifully posed for their photo. They're both 11 which is old for labradors and at every summit they reach I wonder if this one might be their last. For a while I had stopped taking Jack up hills but his joint supplement has made such a difference he's been back in business for the past year for all but the longer hill days.

DSC_0390-large.JPG

Muggins and the canines
DSC_0392-largel.JPG

View from the top looking west
DSC_0394-largel.JPG

Looking south I pointed out Ben Tee to Rob. It was the last hill I'd climbed with Mary - and finished on my own after that fateful slip.

South over Loch Loyne to triangular Ben Tee - Ben Nevis is visible too
DSC_0399-largel.JPG

Rob having lunch and Tess ever hopeful
DSC_0402-large.JPG

On the descent I detoured a little to the right to get another shot of Loch Cluanie and all those majestic mountains climbed on previous memorable days. What a blessing to live so near to this place!

The view again with no trace of mist now
DSC_0403-largel.JPG

We could see the old road winding its way round the base of the hill but we couldn't see Mary
DSC_0404-largel.JPG

We took a more direct line towards the road, missing out the rocky knoll we came over on the way up. Once back on the road Rob got a text from Mary to say she was at the Cluanie Inn, sitting on a sofa with her leg up and a pot of tea and cake. Reassured she was safe and comfortable we set off at a spanking pace which was easy going on the descent and soon were back at the car. Once debooted we drove the short distance to the inn to collect Mary and were on our way home in good time for tea after a fabulous day on the hill.

Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan between Am Bathach and A'Chralaig in the afternoon sun
DSC_0408-largel.JPG

Mary was stiff for the next couple of days but none the worse for her excursion. Well done to the rescue services, the surgeon, nursing staff at Raigmore, physio folk, Rob for looking after her once she was home and Mary herself for such guts and determination. What a testament to the power of healing and an indomitable human spirit that doesn't give up!
Last edited by dogplodder on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Magical mists, majestic mountains and the power of heali

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:06 pm

Looking east along Loch Cluanie to the long ridge of Beinn Loinne
DSC_0412-largel.JPG

Am Bathach and the start of the Brother's Ridge on a stunning autumn afternoon
DSC_0413-largel.JPG
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:09 pm

From another perspective - taken from the summit of Meall Dubh in April 2014

Beinn Loinne sandwiched between Loch Loyne and Loch Cluanie
DSC03640-largec.JPG

Jack and Loch Loyne
DSC03647-largec.JPG
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:00 pm

Beautiful photos - but was puzzled by the autumn colours and lack of snow - until I looked at the date you'd done the walk :roll: :roll:

Timely reminder of some attractive locals I still have to visit - thanks :clap:
Hope Mary is still progressing well.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Towser » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:14 am

:D What a great story about Mary, and what fabulous photos - a cracker of a day.
Towser
Walker

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Great to read that Mary is out walking in the hills again. She did well to recover so quickly to where she is now. Credit to her for doing 7 miles! :clap:
So, that’s another Corbett for my list! Wonderful pictures of the walk, you’ve sold it to me! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:12 pm

Wonderful set of photos :clap: 8) :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:47 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Beautiful photos - but was puzzled by the autumn colours and lack of snow - until I looked at the date you'd done the walk :roll: :roll:

I'm a bit behind with my reports and trying to catch up. I find if I don't write them straight away they get left for ages! :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Towser wrote::D What a great story about Mary, and what fabulous photos - a cracker of a day.

Thanks Towser! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:45 pm

Silverhill wrote:Great to read that Mary is out walking in the hills again. She did well to recover so quickly to where she is now. Credit to her for doing 7 miles! :clap:
So, that’s another Corbett for my list! Wonderful pictures of the walk, you’ve sold it to me! :D

It sometimes gets a bad press..... but on a day like we got what's not to love? :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Wonderful set of photos :clap: 8) :clap:

Thanks Petr. You couldn't really go wrong on a day like that. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:09 pm

Great report, and wonderful pics. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I had the south ridge (Sisters and maybe one or two others) on the radar for this year, and this report has just cemented that intention
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby shredder » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:27 pm

Great photos and well done to Mary for a speedy come back after a nasty injury! :clap:
shredder
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:22

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Excellent pics, same place that I started the walk for the SGR, never realised there was a Corbetto there :D
The dogs are looking great, hopefully see more of them this year :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:54 pm

Alteknacker wrote:
I had the south ridge (Sisters and maybe one or two others) on the radar for this year, and this report has just cemented that intention

This whole area is fabulous! :D
dogplodder

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland