walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Changing weather and minds- strange faces on the mountains

Changing weather and minds- strange faces on the mountains

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:30 pm

Route description: Garbh Bheinn of Ardgour

Corbetts included on this walk: Garbh Bheinn (Ardgour)

Date walked: 16/01/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Garbh Bheinn of Ardgour…

This mountain sticks in the memory ever since first reading about it in William Murray’s books. I wanted to keep this for a fine day, so with crisp wintry scenes setting in across Scotland I decided now was the time to make a crack at this one.

Film of day :

The forecast suggested incoming weather from about early afternoon onwards but the morning should be fine and I had a vision of a cracking sunrise before getting more wintry crisp shots further up the hill- best laid plans…..
So up and away by 05.15am and caffeine was definitely required following only 3hrs sleep! The stars were out but started to disappear around Tyndrum---mmmm this must be patchy low level cloud I thought, surely not the weather front moving in! I was on the Ferry before 0800 and dawn was staring to provide some visibility of my surroundings and also the incoming weather front 

I didn’t hang about getting ready and was hiking by 0815. I got a nice spot for some sunrise shots but it was clear the sunrise was spectacular somewhere further east – managed to catch the pink glow… Glad I did as this was the last views I was to get for some time!!! (note – see if you can spot the female face on the mountain)…

Imagesgorr nam Fiannaidh and Loch Lhinnie by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagesunrise occuring somewhere by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Very shortly afterwards the snow started and I huffed and puffed to a summit at 560m on the Sron a’ Gharb Choir Bhig… Feeling knackered with little sleep little brekky and carrying a bag filled with (now redundant) camera equipment I sat and watched the snow get heavier and the winds pick up. I decided to go home….

It amazing what a warm drink and bite to eat can do though!!!! A new plan was hatched – I decided to leave the heavy camera equipment and see how I got on with the lighter load. It was still hard going as the snow was deep and fresh, no neve! And the ground very uneven under foot…. However I persevered and eventually made the summit around noon.

ImageWind picks up Garbh Bheinn by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Spindrift and wind meant I was soon picking my way back through the white room and after a lengthy and slow descent I was back at the car for 1400 feeling pleased at reaching the top but disappointed at not seeing the great cliffs as described in William Murrays books  The day wasn’t over yet though as in the incoming weather has spread across Scotland making the drive home snowy and challenging! Needless to say –I slept much better on the Saturday night following this!!
wilkiemurray

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland