walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braigh na Uamhachan .... A long day in the snow

Braigh na Uamhachan .... A long day in the snow

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:12 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Braigh nan Uamhachan

Date walked: 17/01/2016

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1380m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I worked on Fassfern Estate many moons ago and i was always fascinated by the cleared villages we found in the huge forest that ran from the head of A' Chorp (Corpach) to the top end of Locheil ón the march with Glenfinnan. All Cameron country of course and a heavy rent roll from these land were amongst the first to come "out" during the year 1745 or Bliadhna Tèarlaich Og in the Gàidhlig way of naming significant years .

I have intended walking Braigh nan Uamhachan for a while so this morning thought i'd like a wee walk in the snow and claim another Corbett in the process ! .

We landed at Druim Saille at 9.20am ,cold ,grey and dry a significant event so far this Winter .

IMG_6759.JPG
An rathad

There is an old Mill site at Druim Saille which i think has its root in the Gaelic for Willow ,Sailean and there is a reference ot its purpose for cutting timber back in 1840's and a fairly healthy local population , all now long dispersed and the remains can be found ón the opposite side of the river.

But today we headed straight up the track to Gleann Dubh Lighe bothán ...very well kept !

IMG_6760.JPG
Am bothan

Having togged up inside we then headed throigh the gate and up ón the hill . ..tough going with about 6-8 in snow in places ....

IMG_6761.JPG
An rathad suas

I picked a line the deer were using so they kinda cleared a path for us onto the bottom of the long (as i was to find out ) ridge .

There we headed up trying to réad where the snow was'nt to deep with a mixture of success , tis a never ending series of lumps and bumps !

IMG_6762.JPG
An druim

IMG_6763.JPG
An cu

IMG_6764.JPG
Air cuil

Heavy going ........gu dearbh......! and deep , deep pockets almost all the way to the drystone dyke which fair drains the batteries after a slight lay off and heavy New Year !

IMG_6765.JPG
Am Balla

The going never got easier after this , in fact it got harder , a real huff n puuf job while trying to extra t the legs from deep snow holes ,hidden bogs and an assortment of other booby traps .....

IMG_6769.JPG
Phew

Bha mi toilichte nuair a bha mi air a' mhullach ..... delighted when i finally made the summit

IMG_6771.JPG
Air a mhullach

Weather was tolerable but wind very cold so we did not spend that múch time hanging about ,some decent views though .

IMG_6778.JPG
Beinn Neibhis ..

Thought about bailing into the upper wnd of Gleann Dubh Lighe via the many wee rakes and bealachs but in the end decided to follow the lorg - coise (footprints) all the way back ...been there and done the endless floundering in snowy holes that looked like the easy option out :wink:

IMG_6770.JPG
Lorg - coise

IMG_6781.JPG
An cu

IMG_6783.JPG
Am balla

IMG_6784.JPG

The walk back was easier than trail breaking the route in but a long day on a hard wee hill ,which is up there with the mighty Streap for the awkward make you work for your summit club.

IMG_6785.JPG
Dhachaidh

We exited on the road at 5.30pm , a full 8 hrs for Colla and An Cu and tonight it is difficult to tell who is the stiffer of the pair :D

Overall not a bad day and the first of the year ..... roll ón Summer :wink:

Cheerie a nis
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Re: Braigh na Uamhachan .... A long day in the snow

Postby PeteR » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:51 pm

Love the shot looking along the wall 8)

I've had this one on my radar for a while, so very interested to see it in winter coat. Looks superb. I had toyed with it for Saturday, but late travel home on Friday led me to change my plans late on........which due to a big patch of ice on the road then never happened :crazy: Braigh na Uamhachan may well be a possibility for this weekend.......if the weather plays nice :wink:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby malky_c » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:49 pm

The snow has certainly stacked up on there over the week. Looks all the better for it though :D . Wish I'd gone out today instead of yesterday - much sunnier.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:54 pm

Sounded tough but worth it - turned out not too bad a day - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland