walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scald Law from Biggar Road

Scald Law from Biggar Road

Postby U059361 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Scald Law

Date walked: 14/01/2016

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 420m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first walk of the new year and I was keen to get out in the snow now that it had arrived. I needed to do penance for all the over indulgence too so there would be some off path through the snow trudging too. The Pentlands looked too good to ignore so I drove up the Biggar Road and parked at the layby beside the start of the Kirk Road. It was really windy and it certainly spurred me on to get my boots, hat and double gloves on really quickly. I took a picture of the start but my hands were numb by this time so it didn't come out very well. It was good to get walking and start to warm up. The ground was mostly frozen so the boggy bits at the start weren't really a problem, just the burn to get over. reached the footpath sign pointing up to Carnethy Hill and I took it. Was soon gaining height up to a bealach. Once over the fence took another photo, this time with less gloves on. There is another footpath sign pointing back to the start of the walk.
ImageFootpath sign back to Biggar Road by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
From here I decided this would be the off path part and aimed to climb up Carnethy Hill to the east of the summit and slightly away from the wind. Didn't take long to get into hard packed snow and some drifts. The wind was also whipping the stuff up. Was really warm now except in my boots. Gaiters were keeping the snow out of them though. A heavy trudge right enough. Had to stop frequently for a break. Penance sorted. Met a guy at the path up to the top, he'd been here yesterday, no wind. Keen. He went on ahead of me. I was still getting my breath back. Really windy up here. I put my spikes on as the path was well trodden and my New York face mask too to keep the wind off my face as it was freezing my cheeks. Didn't hang around at the top of Carnethy Hill either.
ImageCarnethy Hill top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageScald Law covered by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Straight down and over to Scald Law. The tracks were getting less frequent now, although the wind was covering them up too. This got my feet warmed up and the climb up the Law was mostly into the wind. I could see dark clouds approaching heralding a snow shower, but it went past the side thank goodness. Still plenty of snow flying about in the wind anyway. The top of Scald Law wasn't any better.
ImageCarnethy Hill snow blow by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
So I quickly went back down again. Too quickly, went head first at one point, foot got stuck in the snow :clap:
On reaching the style, turned down the gully to head back to the road. The snow had drifted in here, lots of deep stuff, no tracks left either. Managed to get through it OK and then walked down beside the fence. It was great to get out of the wind, so while the sun was still out I had my flask of soup, the tunnocks and the banana for lunch. A few more folk coming up this way. Once finished, carried on down the path to the road.
At Charlie's Loup I could see someone else doing penance going up Scald Law the hard way. You can just see them in the photo.
ImageScald Law from Charlie's Loup by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The ground was getting a bit softer here so no more spikes. A guy walked past me with a snowboard, hard work ahead. Glad to get back to the car and some shelter. A good walk to start the year.
ImageKirk Road signpost by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland