walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hunt Law

Hunt Law

Postby colinwatson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Date walked: 20/01/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 550m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd managed to climb all of the Donalds in the Manor Hills, but this Donald Top had been omitted. I find the Southern Uplands really enjoyable to walk in - the hills are usually quite quiet and it's good to start walks in a living landscape of working farms as opposed to some of the bleaker starts further north. However, the downside for me is having to drive through the rather bleak scene of deepest, darkest industrial Lanarkshire to get there! The good news is that once you are past Carluke, the views improve dramatically.

I took advice from the old SMC Southern Uplands District Guide and started at Patervan Farm - there is a large layby opposite the farm road. A track, not marked on the map, bypasses the farm buildings and leads towards Stanhope. The gate was padlocked, which could make things tricky if you have a dog - but there is an alternative route just to the left that avoids having to climb the fence.

Made my way along to Stanhope, then took the track leading through the glen to the north of the Stanhope Burn. Despite the snowfalls of last weekend, the track was clear and I was able to make good progress past the oddly named house, Stanhope Hope, leading towards the hill.

2016-01-20 10.22.01 (640x428).jpg
Heading up the track towards Stanhope Hope.

I followed the track towards the hut directly below Dollar Law - which was looking impressive today under snow cover higher up. The Stanhope Burn can be crossed by a footbridge (not shown on the map) at this point. I was very glad of this today as the burn was quite high.

There looks to be a track heading up the north ridge of Hope Law, although today it was under snow. Stopped for my morning tea break and was able to enjoy the view down to the burn showing the ground I had covered.

2016-01-20 10.53.10 (640x428).jpg
The Stanhope Burn glen from the north ridge of Hunt Law

As I made my way up the ridge, I was surprised to see four mountain hares on the skyline. This was the first time I had seen them in the Southern Uplands, although I understand that they have been introduced to the area, along with the Peak District and some of the Scottish Islands.

2016-01-20 11.38.54 (640x428).jpg
Mountain hare on the skyline

The slope eased off and I arrived at the summit. The snow near the top was softer than lower down, so I was glad to get to the top. Unfortunately the snow and fairly low cloud meant that the views were somewhat curtailed.

2016-01-20 12.06.36 (640x428).jpg
Summit view

The soft snow was much easier to descend than ascend, so I made quick progress back to the glen and onto the track.

2016-01-20 13.03.16 (640x428).jpg
Looking back up to Hunt Law from the glen.

I had my lunch stop opposite Stanhope Hope cottage before a quick walk down the glen and back to the car.

2016-01-20 13.30.22 (640x428).jpg
Stanhope Hope

Another very enjoyable short day.
colinwatson
Stravaiging

Munros:75   Corbetts:38
Fionas:44   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:5   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland