walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Alone on Lomond??

Alone on Lomond??

Postby Doogie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:16 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 20/01/2016

Time taken: 4.38 hours

Distance: 12.55 km

Ascent: 1007m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Lomond.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd never wanted to do Ben Lomond, I just find crowds of people of putting when I'm on the mountains, but if you want to complete them all you have to put up with it. So I hatched a plan that would put me on the top by myself, or so I hoped.
Getting mountain time for me is difficult, with working overseas and living in the New Forest, everything is a mission to get to the action. I decided that if I wanted to be alone, winter would have to be the time. There was a little trepidation as I'd been snowed off An Stuc and A' Ghlas Bheinn in April of last year.

However, as luck would have it after a mild start to the winter, some snow eventually came and I could hardly hold my excitement as I plotted the climb from my cabin in Iraq, not many people would be out and about in the snow. Eventually the time came and I left the wife in the Edinburgh hotel and I made my way to Rowardennen an hour and a half away. Does anyone else find it more difficult to find the parking areas than to find your way through the mountains?

Set off at about 0815hrs after making a flask of soup and coffee, not in the same flask though :D Rosie is a life saver, especially after a damp day out on the mountains.

IMG_1612.jpg
Rosie all alone in the car park.

Got the map ready and the GPS set up and off I went, very wet and suprisingly warm, so much so that after about 400M I decided to take my outer shell off and just leaving a base layer on. Couldn't really tell if I was going to get any clear views today or not as the clag came and went, it didn't bother me as MWIS only gave a 20% chance of clear tops today.

IMG_1616.jpg
Some views of the route.

IMG_1617.jpg
Hopes building.

IMG_1619.jpg
Hopes dashed.

As you can see the views came and went, but the higher I went the less the views, more snow but hopefully less people.

IMG_1622.jpg
More views.

The route had been walked a couple of times on previous days and the path didn't follow the GPS to the letter but close enough for me, seems like people like to go for the direct route when there is no path visible. I was making good time considering the depth of snow.

IMG_1634.jpg
Good covering of snow to make things a little tougher.

Onwards and upwards though and just for the hell of it I decided to make some of my own tracks as well. It was a pretty ordinary trip to the top from there, but did I get any views on my arrival?

IMG_1639.jpg
Obligatory selfie to prove I was at the top in a base layer only.

Eh NO.

IMG_1641.jpg
Panoramic picture at the top.

Brilliant at the top of Ben Lomond by myself and looking at some of the walk reports, that is quite rare. Although with about 5M visibility St Winifred's School Choir could have been there.
The only downside about the day was the lack of views, however I think having the top to yourself seems to make up for it. :D
A celebratory soup or two while taking in my good fortune at the top made things even better. If anyone did see the big patch of red stuff in the snow after me, don't panic no-one had been murdered, I just spilt some soup. :roll:
Started to make my way down and after about 30 mins started to see some others going up to the top, a number of chats later I got back to the start four and a half hours later. Thought this was quite good considering the snow. I did want to come back the ptarmigan ridge but thought better of it.

IMG_1647.jpg
Jacket back on for the way down. Lots of frozen hair.

IMG_1654.jpg
View of the Loch on the way back down.

IMG_1659.jpg
Last pic of the day.

All in all a very good day.

Ben Chonzie tomorrow.
Doogie

Munros:98   

Re: Alone on Lomond??

Postby Aqyzx » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:16 am

Always nice to have a hill to yourself :)

I was up Lomond in September and was the first one up that morning, having left Glasgow at half 5. Same as you though, no views at all, but it was great to sit at the trigpoint and have a biscuit with only the crows for company.
IMG_20150920_100855.jpg
Aqyzx
Mountaineer

Munros:11   Corbetts:3
Grahams:9   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:36   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland