walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clachnaben

Clachnaben

Postby KatTai » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Route description: Clachnaben, Glen Dye

Date walked: 03/02/2016

Time taken: 3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Since it was a nice day today decided to head up to Clachnaben (originally thought of going to Bennachie but decided I really couldn't be bothered to drive to far today!). As we approached there was sunshine to the east...and dark clouds over Clachnaben! Still, not to be put off we parked up in the new aquatic car parking area (it is a bit flooded) and headed off and amazingly the dark clouds had gone elsewhere and we had SUNSHINE!

b.jpg

While driving to Clachnaben I realised it might not be the best option because I hadn't yet encountered stiles with Moss to see how she got on with them. Sometimes when faced with a challenge she will shut down and refuse to move, so I was relieved that she tackled the stiles with no problem except a bit of uncertainty crossing the last stile on the way back. There is a bit of a drop when crossing the first stile which I didn't realise until I saw the distance Millie had to jump down as the bottom step is at an angle and no use at all for dogs, and she had to have a think about crossing back the other way. Normally at this one they would just go under a gap underneath the gate but this is now blocked with chicken wire. So something to be careful around with a dog especially if they are prone to problems with their joints.

29.jpg
Millie showing how it's done at the 2nd stile

27.jpg
Moss quickly getting the idea of how to use the stiles

There had been a few other cars in the car park/pool when I arrived, but we didn't come across anyone until we were through the plantation and beginning the ascent to Clachnaben. Though a red kit did come gliding passed!

c.jpg

The ascent was easy enough and it wasn't too icy either. Where there was ice it was usually simple enough to avoid. At the top and clear of sheep, we took a bit of a break and the dogs got to have a bit of a run off the lead before we headed back down.

14.jpg
Moss posing

20.jpg
Millie stretching her legs

We headed back the same way, and were back at the car after around three hours. All in all, a very nice walk. Though the path is in desperate need of repair in some parts, but at least all the bridges are still there!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland