walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lee Pen between the storms!

Lee Pen between the storms!

Postby dickens96 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:07 pm

Route description: Lee Pen, Innerleithen

Date walked: 03/02/2016

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 509m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Unexpectedly I had a quiet work day, and luckily it was the best day of the week after the horrible wind and rain/sleet we've been having. So a spur of the moment decision this morning and off I went to Innerleithen about an hour from home, and a wee trip up Lee Pen just to the North of the town. For once I followed the WH route which could not be easier, and today it was quiet and peaceful as I only met one or two walkers along the way. The ground was pretty good given the rain we've had, and any snow seemed to have long since gone. It's a typical Borders hill in my expereince - nice slow run up and then wham a steep bit there to catch you out! The views from the top are great especially with today's visibility, and well worth the climb. Another day I will go a bit further to Black Knowe and Black Law which would make a good stretch of the legs!

I really like these Border hills - as soon as another good day comes along I've plans to do Culter Fell and hopefully make it all the way up White Coombe this time!

P1030033.jpg
The start of the walk - opposite the Fire Station. As I was about to set out there was obviously a shout as Fireman came running from all directions and the engine headed off. Lee Pen summit just peeping in at the back of the picture.

P1030034.jpg
Looking back over the path - tarmac at first

P1030035.jpg
View down the valley of the Tweed towards Walkerburn

P1030036.jpg
Looking Southwest over Caerlee Hill

P1030039.jpg
Innerleithen - you can still see some the flooding by the Tweed

P1030040.jpg
The Tweed valley again , with Pirn Wood hill fort in the foreground. You can see why it was there!

P1030042.jpg
The path to the top - quite a wee steepie this!

P1030045.jpg
Look over towards Cardrona and Peebles - not clear in the photo but clear views of Tinto Hill and beyond

P1030047.jpg
Next time.....

P1030049.jpg
Looking East towards the Eildons and Cheviots
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland