walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fleeing the rain in Aberdeenshire, part 2

Fleeing the rain in Aberdeenshire, part 2

Postby superstar_tradesman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:15 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Benaquhallie

Date walked: 07/02/2016

Time taken: 0.75 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 180m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a quick trip up Craiglich earlier, this was the second of two nice wee Aberdeenshire hill runs. Mission accomplished of getting to the top and back without getting wet, but I did lose my Fitbit somewhere on the way :( This has been my health saver since I started working from home, telling me I need to get off my backside and do some exercise, so hopefully there's a grouse or rabbit on the hill looking after it now, while I buy a new one…

I followed Tom Craggs' advice and parked in the disused quarry at the high point on the B9119. From here, Benaquhallie looked very enticing in a brief moment of sunshine!

2016-02-07 14.22.47.jpg
Benaquhallie from the quarry

So I crossed the road, headed down the track, through the gate and immediately struck left up the E side of the fence and over Tulloch Hill. The route to the top was straightforward—follow the rough ATV track all the way, keeping to the S of the fence/dyke, through a nice wee stand of pines, and then more steeply through heather to the summit trig.

2016-02-07 14.51.38 HDR-2.jpg
Winter sun from the summit

I went over to inspect the elaborate cairn to the S; it's certainly an interesting design…

2016-02-07 14.53.02.jpg
The Benaquhallie cairn

I retraced my steps, almost literally, as I had my eyes to the ground looking for the pesky fitbit, but it was gone :( It was pretty breezy by now, but stayed dry, so I returned to the car at least knowing I'd done some exercise even if there was one less gadget to give me praise for it :)

Overall, a really nice couple of afternoon runs in one of my favourite parts of Scotland.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

superstar_tradesman
Hill Bagger

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Grahams:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Fleeing the rain in Aberdeenshire, part 2

Postby jackfrost » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:04 pm

That's a bummer about the Fitbit. Make sure you add an entry to the Lost and Found area
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewforum.php?f=28

You never know, maybe the next time you're up there in ten years you'll stumble across it since you'll likely be the next person up that route :wink:
jackfrost
Hill Bagger

Munros:282   Corbetts:142
Grahams:27   Donalds:44
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:25   

Re: Fleeing the rain in Aberdeenshire, part 2

Postby superstar_tradesman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:33 pm

jackfrost wrote:That's a bummer about the Fitbit. Make sure you add an entry to the Lost and Found area
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewforum.php?f=28

You never know, maybe the next time you're up there in ten years you'll stumble across it since you'll likely be the next person up that route :wink:

I didn't know about the Lost and Found, but I have this thought of sitting at home watching my fitbit app clock up loads of steps because it's somehow picking up that a rabbit is now running around Benaquhallie wearing the band :lol:
superstar_tradesman
Hill Bagger

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Grahams:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland