walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A trip for retired dog up the Caterthuns

A trip for retired dog up the Caterthuns

Postby KatTai » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:08 pm

Route description: Caterthun Forts, near Edzell

Date walked: 10/02/2016

Time taken: 1.2 hours

Distance: 3 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Retired Dog (Fly) was getting a bit fed up of not going out on adventures, not helped by the fact that the closest walk to us where she can be off-lead is not accessible at the moment, so today I decided we'd have a Fly Day. First choice was heading up to the Caterthuns. It is local to us and it is like going up to the hills without actually having to do any hard walking and has the reassurance that you're never more than a mile from the car, so if Fly does start struggling were not faced with a long trek back (it is also all downhill to the car, so even easier!). Oh, and the dogs can be free to run around as they please (out of tick season anyway!).

1.jpg
Fly the retired dog

There was only one other car parked up there when we arrived so it was nice and quiet up there, we did come across the guy and his dogs as we were heading up and saw another person with at least four dogs in the distance but that was it. We headed up the White Caterthun first, it says in the route description about crossing stiles but these have been replaced by nice gates ages ago. It is an easy path to follow up to the stone ramparts and there is a path through the middle of the fort. There is also the option of walking around on the stony ramparts, but this was too hard going for Fly so we stuck to the muddy middle path.

16.jpg

The dogs got to play around in the fort running about and rolling in the mud (just as well I'm not house-proud!). I'd seen a couple of buzzards hanging around the summit on the way up, but of course when I got up there they were nowhere to be seen!

a.jpg

We started heading back down, Fly was running well ahead so I thought that could be our walk done but once back at the start she pulled across the road to go up the Brown Caterthun, so up we went. I got a little way up and realised I was still carrying poop bags when there was a bin at the parking area, so turned around and left the dogs on the other side of the gate to go pop them in the bin (sadly, a lot of other dog walkers don't bother to pick up after their dogs up there, which is a downside to this walk!).

26.jpg
Come back!

The route up to the Brown Caterthun is very, very muddy so there was lots of hopping (for me anyway, the dogs just ran right through) between more solid patches to avoid the worst bits. As I said earlier, it really is just as well I'm not house-proud!

28.jpg
Moss does not care about ending up in the mud whatsoever...

As with the White Caterthun, the dogs were free to run around and splash through water/mud as much as they liked. The mud isn't the easiest going for Fly but she was off-lead and I knew if she needed to turn back she knew where the car was and would just turn and head back if she'd had enough. There are some nice enough views from up there eastwards to the coast and in the north and west a few hills tipped with snow.

b.jpg

Sometimes it can be a good spot for wildlife up here, a few years ago I even saw a hen harrier patrolling the moorland, but today it was quiet with the exception of a few roe deer that fled the scene well before we were anywhere near them. Still, it was a nice walk and once at the top it was time to head back down through the mud again!

42.jpg

Fly has a ramp that she sometimes uses to get in and out of the car, though I try to avoid letting her end up needing to use it as it means she has overdone it and can end up in quite a bit of pain. At the car she waited for me to put out the ramp...and then just jumped in without using the ramp! So a good run around for her that hasn't left her feeling too worse for wear, surprising as we were out for around 80 minutes or so of them getting to run around as they pleased!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Re: A trip for retired dog up the Caterthuns

Postby dogplodder » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:36 pm

Well done Fly! Having two dogs approaching 12 I too wonder when it will be their last hill. I temporarily retired Jack when he was 10 but a new joint supplement gave him a new lease of life and he was happily out with me on all but the longest days last year. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby KatTai » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:08 pm

dogplodder wrote:Well done Fly! Having two dogs approaching 12 I too wonder when it will be their last hill. I temporarily retired Jack when he was 10 but a new joint supplement gave him a new lease of life and he was happily out with me on all but the longest days last year. :wink:

Well Millie is Fly's litter sister and therefore the same age (12 this year) and she is still more than capable of tackling hills. Unfortunately Fly's problems stem from her being overweight when I got her at 7 years old, she already had arthritis then and while I soon got the excess weight off her and the arthritis was held back for a time it eventually caught up to her. Plus she slipped a disc in her neck last year needing surgery and that has left some nerve damage on one side and is also starting to loose her sight - she definitely has got the worst deal! She has her better days where she can be out for an hour and a half, but other days 10 minutes and that is her. They both have massage therapy, which has helped Fly a lot, and the therapist is amazed at the difference between them!

Millie is now busy training up her replacement ready for when she too retires, which will hopefully be a while to come yet!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby oldian » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:16 am

Was hoping to find a review about the route and area itself, but found a story about a dog :-(
oldian
Hill Bagger

Postby KatTai » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:16 pm

oldian wrote:Was hoping to find a review about the route and area itself, but found a story about a dog :-(

What exactly are you looking to find out about the route? Sorry it disappoints you reading a my trip report :crazy: , I mention about the route condition there isn't much else to say about it, it's a nice short walk.
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby Broselug » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:02 am

I think oldian needs renamed to grumpyian - I enjoyed hearing about fly.
I always find information on walk reports about suitability for dogs very useful, particularly if there are ridges or scrambles where I might not want to take Hector the pooch.
Thanks for your report!
Broselug
Mountaineer

Postby KatTai » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:13 am

Broselug wrote:I think oldian needs renamed to grumpyian - I enjoyed hearing about fly.
I always find information on walk reports about suitability for dogs very useful, particularly if there are ridges or scrambles where I might not want to take Hector the pooch.
Thanks for your report!

Thank you, sadly Fly left us in November heading over the rainbow bridge (Millie passed away in May 2018). Most of the walks we've done have been no problem for the dogs, normally the problems arise with locked gates, awkward stiles or fences with no way to get the dogs across without lifting them. When doing reports I always try to include if there are any points where there could be difficulties with dogs :)
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby wee black dug » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:37 pm

oldian wrote:Was hoping to find a review about the route and area itself, but found a story about a dog :-(

Given you've apparently been a member here for three & half years, I suspect you've been disappointed before. Just...not quite enough to post.

:D
wee black dug

Munros:212   Corbetts:11
Donalds:2
Islands:11

Postby KatTai » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:57 pm

wee black dug wrote:

Given you've apparently been a member here for three & half years, I suspect you've been disappointed before. Just...not quite enough to post.

:D

Nearly two years later it is still their only post :roll: The walk is less than 2 miles I have no idea what they expected, and the title mentioned dogs so that should have been a bit of a clue :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland