walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Keen on mountains

Keen on mountains

Postby Andrea Rosslyn » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 08/02/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 810m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

That was over month after my last Munro´s walk (New Year walk on Ben Chonzie), really busy time so I was glad to be back on mountains. The weather forecast promised clear sunny day especially for centre and east of Scotland...so I chose most easterly of Munro´s Mountains...Mount Keen.
After my last experience on mountains (Ben Chonzie) when the weather was changed in minute with absolutely pour visibility around I decided buy outdoor GPS. So that was good day tested my new gadget, even though it was nice clear day ;-)
Because of still short day light time I chose route from Invermark, Glen Esk, via Glen Mark. I left car at Invermark car park (no fee) and followed signed for Mount Keen and Queen Well. I continued app. 4,5 km through the Glen until I came to the Queen Well. When I crossed 2 Burns I walked higher up on zig-zag track. The path was still cover with ice and snow on high level. On my walk up to peak I did not meet any other walkers and only footprints in snow which I could see were hare´s and deer´s :). I enjoyed beautiful clear view on around mountains and back to Glen.
Before I reached summit there started blow strong cold wind and path was more and more frozen. Also, more clouds and there was risk that summit will be covered without view. But I was lucky. Wind blew off clouds more to North and sun still shone on blue sky. Strong cold wind still persisted on summit but with really enjoyable view around, especialy on Cairngorms Mountains.
Before I left summit and I prepared go back I met 2 walkers and on last ascent 3 more walkers.

The pictures of snowy mountains covered with sunny light were still in my mind during my walk back to car park...so different from "spring" colour Glen.

I always enjoy walk to snowy mountains and I really love white - blue view on mountains. :thumbup:
IMAG8125a.jpg
IMAG8198a.jpg
MK.jpg
IMAG8165a.jpg
IMAG8240a.jpg
IMAG8195a.jpg
IMAG8248a.jpg
IMAG8234a.jpg

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Andrea Rosslyn on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrea Rosslyn
Munro compleatist

Munros:57   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Keen on mountains

Postby Old Bill » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:47 pm

Beautiful photos Andrea! Sounds like a nice day out - and typical that when you have a GPS you don't need it!
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Keen on mountains

Postby Andrea Rosslyn » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:29 pm

Thank you Bill. That was finally sunny day on mountains and I enjoyed every minute there. This time I was glad that I can tested GPS in sunny day instead miserable pour visibility weather :wink:
Andrea Rosslyn
Munro compleatist

Munros:57   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland