walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Bin - Escaping The Winter

Meikle Bin - Escaping The Winter

Postby Craiging619 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:16 pm

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 09/02/2016

Time taken: 2.55 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 395m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After two years without a whole week off work, I finally took a full week's holiday this week. By sheer coincidence, we've been lucky enough to have a few days of sunshine this week, so on Tuesday I took the chance to partake of a rare winter hillwalk in the Campsies. I have vowed to avoid snowy climbs forever more after a horrendously frightening experience on The Brack in 2013 :shock: so by choosing Meikle Bin I managed to get some training in for the spring/summer to come whilst avoiding the snow. The colours were remarkable all afternoon - almost autumnal - and the views from the summit were some of the best I've ever seen.

Leaving Lennoxtown by Crow Road with the Campsies ahead.

Climbing by Crow Road towards the car park overlooking the Central Belt.

The view from the Crow Road car park wasn't quite as expansive as I imagined, but Lanarkshire was visible over to the South-East.

After parking at the car park just before the Carron Valley Reservoir, I followed the waymarked route through a series of foresty roads towards the conical base of Meikle Bin itself.

Oi! That's cheating! :crazy:

It was VERY late in the afternoon.

After about 50 minutes, I arrived at the bench near the end of the foresty roads, having climbed to just 400m.

The final 165m to the summit was much steeper, on a muddy but reasonably clear path right up the central spine of the hill.

Nearly there...

The view from the summit was amazing in all directions. The Carron Valley Reservoir lay to the North.

Cort-ma-law was just hiding Glasgow to the South.

A fanastic panorama of Highland hills lay to the North-West. I finally worked out that the large hill to the left must be Ben Lomond, with Ben More/Stob Binnein, Ben Ledi and Ben Vorlich/Stuc a'Chroin further right,

But if anything, the best views might have been East towards Fife and Edinburgh. The zoom feature on my camera phone is utterly useless, but somewhere in this photo lies Knock Hill, North Berwick Law, Corstorphine Hill, Arthur's Seat, Longannet Power Station and all three Forth Bridges. I was hoping to see Edinburgh from the summit, but wasn't expecting the Forth Bridges to appear so large from this distance. 8)

One last view towards North Lanarkshire before the descent.

The final ridge to and from the summit from the bench at 405m only took 45 minutes, as the path zips straight up the South-East ridge to the summit of Meikle Bin.

Hey mate, gonnae give us a lift?!?

Which brings us to our "Random Unseasonal Christmas Tree Of The Week".

A Highland-esque view of Meikle Bin and Carron Valley Reservoir on the way home.
Last edited by Craiging619 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:33
Fionas:40   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Re: Meikle Bin - Escaping The Winter

Postby rockhopper » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:05 am

Some nice views from up there.
Haven't been here for quite a few years since we went mountain biking round the Carron Valley trails, got a bit lost trying to get through some fire breaks and nearly ended up cycling up the hill :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland