walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Benarty - Late afternoon walk

Benarty - Late afternoon walk

Postby Kmdow » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:55 pm

Route description: Benarty Hill, near Ballingry

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Benarty Hill

Date walked: 14/02/2016

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 3.5 km

Ascent: 183m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After our failed attempt at Innerdownie yesterday the mother and I felt like we needed to achieve something over the weekend! As it was pretty late in the day we thought that somewhere local would be best, so we decided on Benarty - just a 15 minute drive away from us! It was a very easy walk, even with the snowy (but sunny) conditions, so I would highly recommend Benarty to all the fellow beginners out there.

This is my first ever walk report so I apologise if anything is wrong or out with the norm :roll:

We parked just below the Benarty Forestry Commission sign, just off the minor road for Ballingry. Initially the walk was pretty steep with stairs heading into the forest. The climb was obviously made slightly more difficult with the build up of snow which had turned into ice so we had to be cautious. The climb was reasonably straight forward and it wasn't long until we could see the summit in the distance. The views were incredible as the skies were clear and the sun was shining.
We headed down the same way as we came up, however it was a lot tougher coming down as it was quite icy, if i'm being honest we ended up on our bums a couple of times :lol: However it wasn't long until we were back at the car and on our way home!

IMG_2626.jpg
The Benarty Forestry Commission sign, where we parked.

IMG_2618.jpg
The view of Lochore and Crosshill from the bench on the way up.

IMG_2614.jpg
Icy path on the way up, slip and slide on the way down!

IMG_2608.jpg
The fake summit with views of Knockhill to the right.

IMG_2595.jpg
Obligatory photo with the trig point.

IMG_2627.jpg
View of Knockhill from the summit.

Oh I mentioned we ended up on our bums a couple of times...
IMG_2615.jpg
Kmdow

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   

Re: Benarty - Late afternoon walk

Postby peter tindal » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:37 pm

Well done and a great wee hill. I can see it from my kitchen window. You should have waved lol

Try the Loch Glow area for another local walk at this time of year. It can be boggy in the spring so best doing it in winter.
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby Kmdow » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:58 pm

peter tindal wrote:Well done and a great wee hill. I can see it from my kitchen window. You should have waved lol

Try the Loch Glow area for another local walk at this time of year. It can be boggy in the spring so best doing it in winter.

Well there were a lot of hands waving around when we fell a couple of times :lol:
Thank you for the suggestion, will have to give it a go some time!
Kmdow

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   

Postby peter tindal » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:04 pm

Yeah it's DEFINITELY a winter hill especially the path that runs through the Forrest. Very boggy.

Nice views on a clear winters day
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:35 am

Good for you guys getting out. Well that's a Blue Balloon for your map great stuff. Have you considered a pair of walking poles for icy conditions of micro spikes for the underside of your boots, just a thought. Enjoy the hills and stay safe.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland