walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ledard Ben Venue

Ledard Ben Venue

Postby U059361 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:38 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Ledard Farm

Grahams included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 16/02/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 812m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wanted a walk in the snow before it all disappeared. This looked suitable, a well kent path.
ImageBen Lomond from Loch Ard by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Bit muddy in the trees but once out of them the path was soon hard packed snow and solid ice. Crossing the burn by the metal posts was tricky as it was covered in ice, but a handy divot in the middle made it doable. From here up to the bealach was a reasonable walk if you avoided all the ice. The path must usually be covered in water as I walked more along side it than on it to avoid sliding all over the place. Eventually stopped half way up and put on my spikes and gaiters. The snow got deeper the higher up I went. At the bealach and the style, the wind had covered up previous footprints with drifting snow.
ImageStyle at Bealach for Ben Venue by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
So it was a bit of a trudge to get over to the Ben and the climb up. Pretty cold too in the shade and a brisk breeze. Kept on going right up to the first top. Much better in the sunshine and out of the wind till I got to the top.
ImageLoch Katrine by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Venue and Ben Ledi by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Took photos and then over to the other top. A few people around now, they had come up from the other side.
Had my coffee and tunnocks just below the summit.
ImageOver to Ben Lomond by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Didn't hang about though as it was freezing sitting still. Going back down was much more fun and passed quite a few folk coming up. I took my gaiters and spikes off at the style before the burn crossing. Sat and ate my pear here, really thirsty.
ImageDumgoyne and Campsie Fells by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Once through the mud and the trees, looked at the waterfall as the sun was now shining into it.
ImageLedard Waterfall by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
From there back to the car to change and clean the boots. I'd done it all in 5 hours, couldn't quite believe it.
ImageLedard farm and glen by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
U059361
Bird-watcher

Munros:101   Corbetts:34
Grahams:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland