walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A stroll in the snow in Fife

A stroll in the snow in Fife

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:59 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: East Lomond, West Lomond

Date walked: 14/02/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15.2 km

Ascent: 740m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another short notice outing, I was contemplating heading north, west and south but after the recent inclement changeable weather, I opted to stay in Fife :lol: I knew snow had been falling at lower levels so access could be a problem, new Munro's were well off the radar and Corbett's were tempting, but I opted for an easy day :lol:
I contacted Karen to see if she was interested in heading east as it was unfamiliar territory for her :lol:
I suggested we meet at the Park & Ride just north of the Forth Road Bridge at 8.30, which meant an early rise for Karen & a lie in for me :lol: 8)
The plan was to start from Gateside, head up the side of West Lomond and join the path east before the final ascent part of West Lomond. Sounds easy and it wasn't difficult, we stopped off at the 'Bonnet Stane', Karen was keen to find out it's origins but the blurb had a good covering of snow and ice, so that had to wait for the return trip :lol:

Image Bonnet Stane

After the Stane the ascending began, followed by a traverse following the fence line and then the real climb began. The snow was soft and it wasn't long before we reached the motorway that links the 2 Lomond summits.

Image Looking north

Image Arty shot

The path between the summits is well trodden although covered with snow my trail blazing skills defintely weren't needed :lol:

Image East Lomond in the distance

Image Looking out across the Forth, a couple of rigs sheltering

Image East Lomond getting closer

Image Closer still

Image Falkland to Leslie road

We met plenty of walkers heading in the opposite direction and when we reached Craigmead car park we could see why, althought the road that links Falkland and Leslie was snow covered, it didn't put everyone off.

Image Looking back

Image Action shot of Karen ascending

Image Follow those two

Image Action shot indicating the angle of ascent

Image Looking back

Image Can't mistake the path

Image Karen approaching the summit

It was bitterly cold on top of East Lomond and after a few photo's my fingers were beginning to complain, so it was time to descend. We opted to descend on the nice soft untrodden snow and was great fun and it wasn't long before we were back on the track heading to Craigmead. We stopped for a bite to eat at Craigmead car park and then continued on our way to West Lomond.

Image Arty shot of West Lomond

Image Same shot zoomed

Image Looking across to the Forth

Image Looking down on Falkland & Falkland Palace dominating the photo

Image Karen sliding down

Image Ditto

Image Don't normally get tables for lunch

Image Wanting to share our lunch

Image Posing

Image Action shot heading west

Image The final push up West Lomond

The path winds it's way round the side of West Lomond to prevent erosion and when you see how busy the path is you can understand the reasoning.
Once again it was very cold on the summit, but we managed a few photo's before starting our descent.
The plan was to head across to Bishop Hill so we headed down the south western flank in deeper soft snow. During the descent we discussed whether Bishop Hill was just a bit too far, not only in distance but there is also a drop of 240m, so we agreed to traverse round West Lomond and find a nice descent route.

Image Looking back to East Lomond

Image The Trig

Image Fun descending

Image Looking across to Bishop Hill, a wee dot in the distance

Image The traverse before the main descent begins

Image The entertainment for the descent

Image It's a long way down

Image The plan was to follow the fence line initially and then see what the next bit looks like :lol:

Image Bonnet Stane, Karen was a bit shocked about how we were almost looking down on it vertically :lol:

We reached the spot marked on the map as "Hoglayers" and the view down to the Bonnet Stane was amazing, however it deep look quite a long way down. I don't think Karen was overly impressed with the descent route, but I thought it was great, steep yes but great :lol: We were following a fence line down and during the descent we spotted a small group of paragliders, one was already airborne, it looked like good fun, but it must have been freezing 8)

Image Zoomed

Image Going down

Image The rest of the paragliders

Image Traversing across towards the fence, looks reasonably steep

Image Still going down

Image Bonnet Stane again

Image Karen galloping down, if you look closely you can see the paragliders

Image Angle of descent

Image Not far to go now

Image Karen posing having climbed up the Stane

Image Zoomed

A quick stop at the Bonnet Stane for a few photo's and then it was back to the car.

Even though I have been up the Lomonds umpteen times attacking the summits from all sorts of different angles, they are still a great pair of hills and it won't be too long before I return :wink: My step counter informed me that I had taken 28861 steps :o
I think Karen was pleasantly surprised by how good the "little" hills in the east are :wink:
Not sure what is next on the menu, probably a few more local(ish) Corbett's 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:42
Grahams:22   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:120   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: A stroll in the snow in Fife

Postby peter tindal » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:50 pm

Martin, I was up in craigmead car park a few weeks ago and a robin was virtually eating out of my hand. Same one maybe?? It certainly was tame
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:2
Grahams:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   

Postby kmai1961 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:23 am

Great report, Martin -- it was a cracking day out. Thanks for the guided tour of "your" side of the country! :)
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:124
Grahams:55   Donalds:54
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:30   Islands:24

Postby KatTai » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:24 am

That robin looks familiar, think I met the same little fella! Will have to remember to take some bird seed next time I go :D Great trip report, never heard of the Bonnet Stane so think that is something we will have to investigate next time I go there!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:15
Grahams:8   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:26   
Islands:25

Postby kiltedbiggles » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:24 pm

Great report and great pics Martin....left me feeling quite nostalgic......I grew up in Glenrothes and these two are the hills I've spent most time on (barring Arthurs Seat possibly)

Hoglayers and surrounding area are very interesting, Craigen Gaw even has a bit of scrambling in it

Looks like you had ideal conditions for it as well

Good stuff!! :clap: :clap:
kiltedbiggles
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:170
Grahams:94   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:162   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:18   Islands:32
Walk wish-list

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:15 pm

kiltedbiggles wrote:Great report and great pics Martin....left me feeling quite nostalgic......I grew up in Glenrothes and these two are the hills I've spent most time on (barring Arthurs Seat possibly) Hoglayers and surrounding area are very interesting, Craigen Gaw even has a bit of scrambling in it Looks like you had ideal conditions for it as well
Good stuff!! :clap: :clap:

Thanks Allan, was surprised to see this WR appear :lol:
When I lived in Kingskettle I used to nip up E Lomond every week from the Paper Mill in Falkland, cracking little walk :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:42
Grahams:22   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:120   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland