walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunrise at the Old man of Storr

Sunrise at the Old man of Storr

Postby Andy74G » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:49 pm

Route description: The Old Man of Storr

Date walked: 13/02/2016

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 2 km

Ascent: 600m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was our fourth trip to Skye in as many years , we manage 3-4 days every year but as my wife doesn't enjoy hill walking I've yet to climb a Munro here, although I'm itching to do so as we always get good weather when we're here and this weekend we had perfect clear skies . I've read the reports over the years on here of walker's watching the sunrise from summits and have wanted to do the same for a while . So on Saturday morning I left the B&B before dawn and drove up to the car park at the Storr. Kitted up and torch on I headed off up the path to a high point to the right of the Storr and waited for the sunrise, even thou I wasn't high the view was still fantastic as the sun rose...
1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Re: Sunrise at the Old man of Storr

Postby larry groo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:26 pm

Fabbo!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
larry groo

Postby headless spectre » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:13 pm

Brilliant
headless spectre
Hill Bagger

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:4   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:41 pm

Well worth the early start! :clap:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Cecilia » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:21 pm

Thank you for sharing your story and stunning photos. We will be visiting from Canada and we will try to do this. Would not have thought of it had I not seen your post. As it will be our first attempt, hope all goes well as we take the path in the dark. Also, hope the directions given on this website are enough for us to navigate.
Cecilia
Mountaineer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland