walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brilliant views from Creag Each

Brilliant views from Creag Each

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:07 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Creag Each

Date walked: 15/02/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.2 km

Ascent: 800m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Creag Each is one of my local Grahams and I've done it several times: this was a particularly brilliant sunny day and the forecast was for stunning visibility, but there was so much unconsolidated snow on the bigger hills that I decided to keep fairly low and hope to get good views - I wasn't disappointed :D
I left Station Rd in St. Fillans, took the path below the railway bridge, climbed on to the old railway and followed it, going round the outside of a blocked tunnel, to where a path leads R up through Glen Tarken woods. This climbs pleasantly through the woods at a very amenable angle until you emerge with splendid views down Loch Earn
2243.jpg
The bridge over the Alt an Fhionn
2246.jpg
woodland path
2249.jpg
Meall Reamhr above Lochearnhead: Balquidder on the L
2251.jpg
Loch Earn with Meall an - t-Seallach on the R
The path goes through a narrow wooden gate, and continues a bit boggily to the old croft of Jerusalem .
2255.jpg
The gate with Creag Each beyond: the summit is almost directly above the gate, but the steep gully on its R is full of slippery boulders and not recommended
2255a.jpg
A boggy bit through a second gate - Jerusalem in the distance
Just beyond you cross the Glen Tarken burn and join the main track up the glen. From here a cart track on the L leads up to a gate and in summer I usually step over the fence beside it, head left for a bit and then straight up easily on short dry grass trending R at the top. - see pic below
2256.jpg

I have found - reading the new SMC Grahams guide - that the "official" route heads up the R of the burn. It may be more direct, but the terrain here is much rougher.
2267.jpg
Looking back East
On this occasion I headed R a bit earlier, but whichever way you go there is a lot of dead ground and a lot of false summits before you actually arrive
2270.jpg
A big snowy hill starts to appear on the R
2272.jpg
Eventually - the summit
2277.jpg
Looking East - Creag Ruadh, Creag Uchdag and Sron a Chaoineidh? Ben Chonzie on the R
2284.jpg
Ben Lawers is exactly 15Km away - but it looks as though you could touch it :) :) :)
2285.jpg
Meall Ghaordaidh and the Tarmachan group
2294.jpg
West to Ben More and Stobinian
A couple of sets of footprints led North - no doubt following the approved route on to Creag Ruadh - and I decided to follow these - keeping the fabulous view in sight for a bit longer.
2296.jpg

2297.jpg
You can see the track which goes round the head of Glen Tarken and also branches north into Glen Beich
2298.jpg
A wider view
The snow was a lot deeper on the Northern side, but the footsteps led down to the track in the glen where I headed R until I rejoined my outward route and retraced it back to the village .
2300.jpg
Looking South up the Fin Glen to Meall na Ferna: Ben Vorlich on the R
2301.jpg
Evening sun at Jerusalem
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:84
Grahams:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Brilliant views from Creag Each

Postby K-Burn » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:16 pm

I like that you mentioned the blocked off St. Fillans Tunnel. I may not drive up a road where there's a rusty old sign saying not to but I'll happily bypass a tunnel fence as I find them interesting to photograph.

This looks like a good walk and one I might take a look at next time I'm in the St. Fillans area. You've got some great photos there as well.
K-Burn
Mountaineer

Grahams:1   

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:28 pm

K-Burn wrote:I like that you mentioned the blocked off St. Fillans Tunnel. I may not drive up a road where there's a rusty old sign saying not to but I'll happily bypass a tunnel fence as I find them interesting to photograph.

This looks like a good walk and one I might take a look at next time I'm in the St. Fillans area. You've got some great photos there as well.

You can also get on to the Railway before the tunnel from Shoemaker lane (easier parking).
yes they are good photos, but the weather has been so clear that Everybody has been getting great photos :D - some of them in much more exciting places than I.
'Fraid I don't like walking on tarmac which is why I did Creag Garbh along the Rob Roy way
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:84
Grahams:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:41 pm

Ditto the comment about the quality of the pics! :clap: Hills like this were made for crisp days like this. :D
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland