walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beda Fell

Beda Fell

Postby MiniRambo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:35 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Beda Fell

Date walked: 21/02/2016

Time taken: 2

Distance: 7.1 km

Ascent: 384m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2016-02-21_Beda Fell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After doing Walla Crag a couple of weeks back, I decided I needed to get out again and tackle one of the few remaining Wainwrights I have in the 'Far Eastern Fells'.

The weather forecast hadn't been good all week for Sunday and it proved to be true. Nevertheless, with the company of Chris and Andrew we departed Appleby in the early afternoon following church, with the thought of getting some exercise and the hope of getting some views. :lol: :lol:

We parked on the grass near to the old church at Martindale and were walking by circa 2pm.

P1050461.JPG
Chris and Andrew ready for the off....

P1050462.JPG
..... this time Andrew and me!

We followed the road over the bridge and then up a grassy path behind Winter Crag Farm. This led up the side of the hill, eventually bringing us to an iron seat on the main north ridge of Beda Fell. It was now apparent that we had been sheltered from the gusty westerly wind and the precipitation it was carrying. :crazy:

We made steady progress along the gradual if sometime undulating ridge, making regular stops to take in the views (and have a breather :lol: ). Ground conditions were relatively good considering the amount of rain there has been with only a couple of areas of peaty/boggy ground.

P1050463.JPG
On the ridge looking north to Howstead Brow

P1050464.JPG
Looking south to Beda Fell (Beda Head)

Once we reached the top, we decided to continue along the ridge and when we reached Bedafell Knott, to descend down the east flank along a good path towards Dale Head farm at the foot of The Nab and at the end of the tarmacked road. We enjoyed a good stroll along the road, meeting only a handful of others.

P1050465.JPG
A windy summit pose

P1050466.JPG
Heading down to Dale Head

In spite of the weather, it had been another enjoyable outing. :clap: :clap:
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:212   

Re: Beda Fell

Postby ChrisW » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:10 am

No the best of weather MR but the best 'epic' summit pose I've seen in a long time :lol: Good effort on a day many would have chosen to spend indoors :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby MiniRambo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:07 am

ChrisW wrote:No the best of weather MR but the best 'epic' summit pose I've seen in a long time :lol: Good effort on a day many would have chosen to spend indoors :clap:

Thanks Chris. It wasn't the best of days but still enjoyed it and it will make a good day feel even more special! :lol:
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:212   

Postby dittzzy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:26 pm

I've never read any of the Wainwright books and I obviously ain't been looking at my maps closely enough, but now I see it, Beda Fell looks cool. . I like the "On the ridge looking north to Howstead Brow" picture - it's sort of made we wanna go visit.

Looks like I'm gonna have to look a bit closer at the Far Easten Fells dunnit?

Thanks for the foties and showing us the views (despite the weather) :) :)
dittzzy
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland